Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Harbor Freight win or lose thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Just bought some Evapo-Rust on Saturday. Tried it out on Sunday; WIN!
Then I checked the label, Made in USA.

Soak your rusty parts in it, they come out clean bare metal. I have a gas tank I want to do with this stuff.
I built a tank to soak all of my engine tin in and other items prior to a repaint. Awesome stuff! What makes this product a little extra awesome is that you can save it and reuse it. Just leave the scum at the bottom after it settles.

WIN seconded!!

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
:2gunfire: F-U-M-P!
~"I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." ~The Boss
Please excuse any typos as my iPhone doesn't speak English very well. 
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I took my 3/8" HF Torque wrench to PMEL to see how bad it really is. When tested, they found the following:

Setting --- Found value
16 ft-lb ... 16.17 ft-lb
48 ft-lb ... 48.83 ft-lb
80 ft-lb ... 81.67 ft-lb

Since +4% ft-lb is the target range, not too shabby.

We discussed use and storage and the DoD recommends to following for these tools:

Storage: Store with spring set at lowest setting not toally relaxed.
Use: Set to higher value then planned setting for use. Click 6 times. Reset to desired set point.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy for $10.

Also, he has told me that he has checked a number of these HF wrenches and they have all been within accepable values.
ncstagger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent HF acquisitions:

Item #66664 PISTOL GRIP GREASE GUN WIN Used for one front end service and a couple odd jobs so far so good, nice and tight, no leaks.

Item #69597 3T HD STEEL JACK STANDS WIN Really like this set, was on sale for under $20. Used a few times, very stout.

Item #94450 BATTERY TERMINAL CLEANER WIN 99 cent special, you know the one, we all have one...if you dont you should.

Resto thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549162

"Take your most realistic time frame and dollar amount.. then add half of that amount. When you get that total... double it. Only then will you be in the ballpark." - sofaking
ChipWrecked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
Has anyone tried the 110 volt spot welder? Thinking of buying one.

I bought the 220v version last fall. I used it on my rocker panels, windshield frame, and fabricating small parts; it works great. It is heavy though, so working over head burns the shoulders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hudsonce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.harborfreight.com/Floor-Jack-with-Rapid...OCJ9%0D%0A

FAIL. Tried TWO of theese jacks. They will not release/ go down with the handle at an angle (i.e. under the car.)
For the sake of Peter, PREVIEW your post before you submit it.
JerryB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I confess I buy some things at Harbor Fright.... Rolling Eyes

For example......

The 1/2" 6 point male drive set that has the 17mm drive for transmission plugs ......really cheep. the whole set is way cheaper than the one drive from
]Proto or Craftsman.....it's seldom used . WIN

Then there is the funnel set....5 or 6 small funnels for under a buck.....and other plastic crapola that is cheap and throw away ....ULTRA WIN

The blast cabinet that is about $200......I'll call that WIN- MINUS
as was said above you have to use sealer on ALL the joints plus some other mods. After a few hours of use the gun went south......got a TIP gun and off we go!

Rubber mallets.......$1.50....and bench brushes this month are $1.49 something.....WIN PLUS

I always get the freebie when I by something.....If U buy more than one item try doing laps and getting more freebies ...just use another checker or bring your hat and beard. Shocked............and also with the 20% cuponz...do laps there also....they are available in the Sunday papers, usually in the Parade magazine....and in the weekly market ads.

I cant believe the number of folks go there....sometimes there are 20-30 folks in there buying all at one time. Family owned.....poor folks. Bought a house in Bel AIr a few years ago for 70 Mil (the old Marvin Davis house)l.......then a plane shortly after....a BIG plane.

lookadis......
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jul/19/harbor-freight-ceo-accused-by-parents-of-looting/
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last thing i bought was the 40 piece metric tap and die set, LOOSE
they are pretty crappy but I found they work good in a drill to elongate holes and grind metal and what not.

I have the CEN TECH digital caliper which worked great for many years but recently it developed a glitch. I got my $10 out of it thats for sure.

My friend has bought a few pipe cutters at HF which all have broken in some way haha

I believe my air grinder is from HF, WIN
I've had it for years and it gets the job done
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly buy my nitrile gloves from HF... Rolling Eyes

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:
Why tune a big round again and again????? For me.... 1 hour will solve the case Cool

www.endlesscustomz.com
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nylon Abrasive Wheel, item#94017: WIN. Saves hours of sanding and blasting! Buy several of them if you have a big job.

20 oz. HVLP paint spray gun, item #67181: Mostly WIN. It says HVLP, but is not really a true HVLP... You should see the paint overspray swirling around! It paints well, is consistent, and easy to clean. I use it for primer.

120 cc touch-up paint spray gun, Item #46719: WIN. Don't disassemble the fan-shape adjusting fitting for cleaning, and be careful not to damage the needle packing when disassembling for cleaning. I recommend removing the spray nozzle for cleaning, too, although the instructions don't specifically say to.

Paint strainers, Item #91376: WIN. Nothing else to say.

Micro-torch, Item #60645: LOSE. Had to disassemble the top to fix the ignitor wire, which was cracked in half inside its clear plastic insulation and not sparking at the tip. Leaked all the butane out after that, and will not hold butane now or spark correctly.

6" Dual Action air sander, Item #68152: Mostly WIN. Had to return my first one after a few days of intense sanding because it would not turn off. Other than that, it works just fine.

12 ton Shop Press, Item #33497: LOSE. All the parts have a very sloppy fit, and my idea of a good shop press is not one that has 1" or more of lateral slop at the press head.

5 Mil Nitrile Gloves, Item #68498: WIN. Didn't expect much when I first bought them, but got 'em any way. Pleasantly surprised, and just had to get another box since I used them all. Very good for painting and chemical handling.

3/8" drive butterfly impact wrench, Item #93100: BIG FAT LOSE. This impact has the lowest torque I've seen. Regularly stalled out on loosening almost all hardware I put it on. I returned it.

Digital volt meter, Item #98025: WIN. One of the 'free with coupon' items you can get. No problems with it, although I prefer not to use it since it's not auto-ranging and doesn't have a continuity beeper.

Tarps, Item #69137 and 69131: So-so. They are thin, but cheap and do what tarps do best. I used these to catch blast media while blasting the bus.

3/8" air filter with regulator, Item #68232: WIN. Use this for keeping water out of my line. The regulator part blows off air to keep pressure down, which I don't like.

Co2/Argon regulator, Item #94841: WIN. Works just fine.

90 Amp flux welder, Item # 68887: LOSE. Settings are not adjustable enough, build quality is very low, included wire is horrible, not useful enough for much of anything.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmat66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a tool, but the Large Tilt Mount TV Bracket is a WIN. Item #: 67781. Got it for $29.99 at their tent sale. Nicely built and sturdy. Easily comparable to any other brand TV mount. Instructions are well written. One thing I learned for the next install: I will be sure the mounting frame is PERFECTLY level before bolting it to the wall.

There are two brackets with several slotted holes that bolt to the back of the TV. Those hang on the mounting frame (also, with several slotted holes) that is bolted to the wall. Other TV's might vary, but on mine, their is no adjustment once the brackets are bolted on. So even though my trusty level said the mounting frame was dead-on, the TV leaned about 1/4" down on one side when we hung it. No fault of my level or HB, just wanted to pass along the info that a large TV will exaggerate any slight misalignment of the brackets. I got it sorted out and it was a very simple install otherwise. Also, it's the only item I've purchased from HB that wasn't oily Wink
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a driver kit for installing races in my new brake rotors. I froze the races before pounding and got three races in, no problem. The one inner race was a real bitch, but the tool you use to tap on broke off at the head. I just kept pounding without the head and got the race seated. So, they could have beefed up the pounding rod a bit more: Win--sorta,

I bought their Pittsburgh 2-ton 23 inch-lift floor jack--and love it! Win!

Pulling my engine is so easy with it. I just crank a few times on the center of the "Y" and the jack easily raises the entire back end of the car for me to wheel out my engine. My only complaint is the small release handle could have a bit more leverage so that I can "ease" the jack down a little easier than I do. I may weld on a slightly larger handle for this purpose. Also, I have no problem with the angle of the jack handle and releasing the jack.

Tim
CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle/ATV jack-WIN

I was trying to re install my engine with just a floor jack and almost dropped it. Thats when I decided that $80 was worth the easy engine install. FYI the 25% off coupons can be printed off from harbor freight's website at any time (never buy anything over $20 without one)
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoastalAirCooledVW wrote:
Motorcycle/ATV jack-WIN

I was trying to re install my engine with just a floor jack and almost dropped it. Thats when I decided that $80 was worth the easy engine install. FYI the 25% off coupons can be printed off from harbor freight's website at any time (never buy anything over $20 without one)
What about a motorcycle jack makes it work better than a standard floor jack?

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A motorcycle jack has a wider footprint and 2 supports that keep your engine from tipping. I borrowed one from a buddy last time I installed an engine - definitely more stable than a floor jack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumber-baron wrote:
A motorcycle jack has a wider footprint and 2 supports that keep your engine from tipping. I borrowed one from a buddy last time I installed an engine - definitely more stable than a floor jack.
Thanks!

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
noneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to second the the digital caliper mentioned a few posts above...
I believe it's item#47257
For $15 or so ( depending on when they are on sale ) Mine has saved me from picking up what would otherwise appear to be a decent looking core crank or case ( to the naked eye anyway ) at a few swap meets over the years.
Also has helped to ID some NOS main bearings from time to time when the original box was thrashed or the writing had long since wore off in similar situations.

** PLEASE have the common sense to NOT rely on the measurements of such a low-dollar tool to actually build a motor with !! **
That said, these are great for situations "in the field" for getting a general idea on the measurements or conditions of something.
For "comparisons" or a ballpark measurement ( we are talking thousands of an inch here ) then they are well worth the 15 bucks and mine's held up quite well in my swap-meet back pack.

Another WIN for me would have to be the infrared thermometer they sell, I believe also made by CenTech... Item # 69465 I think.
I've compared the readings of mine with far more expensive units friends of mine own, and the CenTech one is surprisingly accurate !
I have an older one that does F and C.
Great item for the glove box for a roadside sump plate, distributor, and / or dipstick temp read on a hot day...

The CenTech multimeter is another WIN for the glove box.
Usually free or close to it with an order. I carry one in every glove box so my expen$ive, ( real Fluke ) meter can live in the safety of my tool box at work.

Schwing wrote:
Bondo is like make-up, it fools the eye from the ugly truth
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part #44006, 880lb electric Hoist= WIN
I bought one of these about 8 or 9 years ago, and mounted it to a gantry arm to lift engines from my engine stands. It works excellent and has saved my back from countless amounts of pain. I also don't have bother my shop neighbors to help me lift engines anymore. I should have had one of these 31 years ago. Very Happy

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
'69Custom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 Bin Wall Mount Parts Rack #69571

This handy little rack comes with 30 plastic clip-on bins with the structural consistency of papermâché. Just enough hand pressure needed to lock each bin into place was enough to crack six out of thirty, and they really are too close together. Too many bins on too small a platform. For $14.99 you get what you pay for.

Verdict: Epic Fail!

1969 Frankenbug
1965 Ford Mustang
tham64 wrote:

www.endlesscustomz.com
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Item#39749 Ratcheting pvc pipe cutter- EPIC FAIL

I went to test it on a piece of 1" pvc and the cutter itself snapped in half. But, it was 1.99, so... Not all is lost.

Item#69030 Pittsburgh quick find tape measure- WIN.

Very nice quality, almost nicer than some of my Stanley tape measures... And it was free!!

Item#67971 Pittsburgh 9 pc. Wobble socket extensions-WIN

very high quality, and for 12.99, you can't beat it.

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbor Freight 4" pneumatic grinder ( a must own for $25.00

3" extended die grinder

3 and 4lb dead blow hammers

and Metal shrinker all wins. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: