Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Type 1 - My First Resto
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: 1968 Type 1 - My First Resto Reply with quote

First off, thanks to the entire samba community for giving me the guidance and guts to attempt my first restoration. For a little background, I purchased the bug below in 1987 when I was 16 years old (had it ever since). It got me through college and grad school, so now it is time to pay the bug back for many, many years of service and a few years of neglect over the last 5 years.

The pictures show where I am currently at and the condition of the vehicle. Being a CA car, I think it is in great shape. The luggage shelf needs to be cut out and replaced (leaky back window rubber). I posted some close ups of some of the other rust spots that need attention, not sure if it is bad or not.

So, any guidance or help anyone wants to add...all 2 cents are welcome. I think the pans are OK, although there is some rust it has not gone all the way through like the luggage shelf (hopefully POR 15 solves that problem) and they seem sturdy since I was able to stand on them without going to the floor.

Anyway, thanks again to the entire community for your direct and indirect support. With the quotes I received from certain resto shops ($35k body off, $17k drivers resto), all of your help is saving us all big bucks.

I will also provide updates as I proceed and implement any guidance provided. Thanks again!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in great shape, that is very little rust for that year of bug. Keep us posted on the restore.

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Texas! Since this post I decided to go full bore and do a body off. I took all of the body bolts off and had my dad (in from out of town) help me lift it up front and back to make sure nothing was snagged. Lift off was a success. Now, I will likely leave it on the pan until I can find a place to paint and fix all of the rust issues. Good to hear someone else's thoughts on the condition.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: '68 Beetle Reply with quote

That looks like it was an original L620 Savanna Beige colour. If you decide to go back to that colour, you can get the beige running board mats and fender beading from Wolfsburg West.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@neil - yes, you are correct on color...good to know about the parts from wbw...thanks.

Anyone think the rust near the windows is an easy fix? Small holes...
TexasAirCooler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be too hard, Ill fix your holes if you want to replace my luggage shelf in my '68! Razz

Common Sense Is A Flower That Doesn't Grow In Everyone's Garden.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.....

I cannot believe it has been 3 months already, but I finally am ready for body work and paint. The car is stripped, the body is detached (all bolts removed) and ready to be taken off, and the paint has been removed. Just trying to find a body and paint shop that can work with 4k to do the work. With the estimates I am receiving (12k - 20k) I may have to do it myself. I would rather leave it to the experts. However, I think there is a member that may be able to help out.

So, thanks to the community for your direct and indirect help and for giving folks like my the guts to take on a project like this. Updated pictures below...

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you finish yours i will bring you my 68.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Type 1 - My First Resto Reply with quote

Cage44 wrote:

Before you get any painting done it would be a good time to fixup those mix-match tail lights.

See how the Right one is about 2" higher?
that fender is from a 71-72 car
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comment and attention to detail Joe...already on it. It is the difference between an original german fender on the right and a cheapo brazilian fender from the 90's on the left. Both are being replaced to match... Smile
GuidoG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job!! Keep it up
69vduber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my two year 69 project .... did i read correct... you had quotes like 17k or more ? My car did not need as much body work as yours but that seems very high... I paid around 3500 to paint a stripped body off frame here in Texas .... Even with the kind of rust you have that seems high. Shop around ... any vw clubs in your area that may know someone that can do it cheaper ... keep it up ... fun is the rebuild ...
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69vduber wrote:
Just finished my two year 69 project .... did i read correct... you had quotes like 17k or more ? My car did not need as much body work as yours but that seems very high... I paid around 3500 to paint a stripped body off frame here in Texas .... Even with the kind of rust you have that seems high. Shop around ... any vw clubs in your area that may know someone that can do it cheaper ... keep it up ... fun is the rebuild ...

Where in Texas did you get that quote? I was quoted 5k for mine stripped and not many places want to even touch it for much less than 7k. I'm near Austin and wouldn't mine driving a little ways to save 1500!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69vduber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know Tommy Smith in Austin? just wondering ... I live in Spring and the guys that did my body work and paint are brothers . The painter is in out club DLK... He would have to quote but they do great work. Like I said I had very little rust , just the package tray that I used a doner part.. their names are Jason and Jeremy Eubanks...

Sorry just relized those pics are not your car ... do you have some ?
TryToBeOriginal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i use John Sanders in Cedar Creek for most the work I cannot do myself but I will for sure get some photos up soon the car is in Austin right now and I'm living in San Marcos. The car's floor pan has been redone and painted, the biggest problems I know of are rust bubbles on the drip rails and looking under the fenders where they bolt on isn't looking too good. but other than that just the usual places for rust, under the spare and small spots on the heater channel. (sorry for the off topic posts)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74vwbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a painter that owned his own shop, from the looks of it you did a lot of sanding? It so, the reason why your quotes are high is due to the warping of the metal. If that is the case you have one of two ways for them to fix this issue. One would be you filler, a lot of it, two would be removing the ripples out of the metal. This is a very slow and patient process. It requires you to heat up the metal and apply cold to is so that the metal will take back its original shape. This is a process that is slowly being lost, just like lead restoration. Takes years to master. I wish you the best with your project. I presently have acquired a 74 beetle that I am looking at doing a full off frame resto. No matter what you do, make sure that it is what you want it's your dream on wheels....(o\!/o)
Cage44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

OK, body is off to paint and I just towed the chassis home. I attached a few pics. Now the real work starts. First order of business is to get things cleaned up, get the grease and 44 years of road grime off. I will update when the initial clean up is done, which I hope to begin tomorrow morning. If you have any suggestions, do not hesitate to chime in. Thanks.

19-VW-74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that baby's solid!

A rust free chassis eliminates SO MUCH headache. Laughing
gore666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish mine was that clean haha im about to start tearing mine apart just waiting for budget looks like your doing great
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If mine had been that nice I would have never pulled the body off.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: