Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karman Sutra
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellll, The guys at WesTech are really MAD at me - --- -- - One of the front oil coolers decided to split open while the car was on the dyno Monday -- what a mess -- Freaking car was still dripping oil out of the spare tire drain Tuesday when I went over to help by-pass that cooler -- should of just put another oil cooler in its place, but their description of what happen had me confused -- -- but I've been working nights lately so I'm in a constant state of confusion LOL (still had to have the blue towels and rags there to continue to mop up the oil in this picture LOL)

Don't know when they will have some open dyno time so they can get the Ghia back on there

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They did have a cool open class desert car on the dyno Tuesday -- -- about a half million dollar toy there

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was over working on the oil cooler at WesTech -- Chad from BangShift was there -- He had a junkyard SBC on the Dyno and all the guys there were running around the dyno and giggling and laughing and just cracking up -- --- --

They had setup two targets behind the headers and were pouring BB's down the carb and watching them hit the targets.... It was the craziest thing I'd ever watched-- I don't know which was funnier watching the BB's come shooting out of the headers or the guys running around laughing their azzes off -- -- Then they pulled the plugs out after their "run" OMG .. .. well, look at the pictures.....

Soon to be a video to be posted somewhere :::::::::::::::::::::::

If you look closely you can see all the BB's on the floor....

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update -- -- Nothing is happening LMAO

The last 2 weeks the guys from WesTech have been jammed with the high dollar cars going to SEMA (or Chad destroying a SBC) or Eric being sicker than a dog -- Hope he's feeling better !!! -- Went over to work on the Ghia this morning, but they've all left to go to SEMA too..... Oh well, it's not like I've anywhere to go LOL -- and remember I'm the one who made the deal that the Ghia is not their first priority, just something for them work on when they can -- so really no problem as far as I'm concerned, because they are treating the ghia very well !!!

SO, Screw it,,,, I'm going on Vacation -- see you all in a couple of weeks
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

This was in my in-box today -- --

Circuit of The Americas (COTA) February 26-28, 2016

Good Morning:

I hope this finds each of you in good spirits as we trek through Fall toward Winter. I for one think a more southern location is in the cards. HMMM, perhaps Austin, Texas?!

For the fourth year in a row, it’s time to think about three days of driving on America’s only purpose built F1 track, Circuit of The Americas (COTA) in Austin, Texas. MVP Track Time has scheduled our 4th annual three-day COTA track event for February 26 – 28, 2016.

Now for the moment you’ve all been waiting for, the investment to play at COTA. The entry fee for all three days is $1,375, the same as 2014. As with previous years, there are a limited number of spots available for COTA. Yes, they fill fast.

STEP 1
The $1,375 entry fee for all three days at COTA can only be completed with Pay Pal (you can use any major credit card through the Pay Pal system if you don’t have a Pay Pal account) at the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=JQ3XJ9LSZHJUN

STEP 2
Once you have completed the entry fee, head over to the “Registration Page” of MVP’s web site (link below) to register. You’ll need to scroll to the bottom of the page to complete the blue outlined registration box. Click on the“Event” drop-down menu and choose Circuit of The Americas (COTA): February 26-28, 2016.

http://www.mvptracktime.com/id92.html

After we have allocated the registrations by run group, based on individual track experience, we will send out group confirmation e-mails to each run group. We will have four (blue, green, yellow and red) run groups allowing us to schedule two hours of track time daily.

In the spirit of transparency, the rental of COTA, as you can guess, is rather costly, so once you register, MVP will not be able to give you a refund until COTA is sold out and we have a replacement for you. If/when we can replace you, there will be a $100 cancellation fee. Inside of four weeks (January 29, 2016 and later) prior to the COTA event there is no refund. This is the reality of renting Circuit of The Americas.

If you have any questions, grab the phone and call me at (314) 249-3770 or you can e-mail [email protected].

Happy Motoring and I hope to see you at COTA. Enjoy your day.

Mark Pfeffer – MVP Track Time
www.MVPTrackTime.com
Phone: (314) 249-3770
E-mail: [email protected]
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4WAUmyKDq0
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

It's Story telling day and it's Baseball season (here in the states) and the final year of Vin Skully's 67 year career announcing Baseball -- -- Here are a few of the stories he interweaves into his broadcasts that makes him so great.......

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/04/27/174849170/vin-scullys-best-stories-on-national-tell-a-story-day
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Well, The Ghia is back home -- -- It has been gone so much the past year that there almost wasn't a space for it in the garage..... you know how a empty spot in the garage fills up quick LOL

I brought the damn thing home Sunday, with more problems than it left with, oil leaks up the arse and just a ton of electrical issues. It runs OK. It drives on and off the trailer and goes down the road, then it just shuts off -- -- guess I'm just gonna reach in there and grab a handful of wiring and just rip it out and start over.... Ordered some new electrical things and they will be here tomorrow night, so tomorrow I'll get started straightening out my rats nest and decide how I want to proceed.....

On the way home, I was cruising a car show at the Riverside Auto Center with the Ghia on the trailer, and there was Ester (E-girl)((Powder puff VW racer par excellence)). I didn't know she was Ms. Route 66.... Damn she looked good in that tiara... LOL
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

MR GAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Just checking in. Very Happy I hoped you would have the Ghia done by now. Crying or Very sad
It needs to be raced or driven soon. Cool I Have built and sold 2 race cars since I built this one. GL getting Fasper going!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

I've finished rewiring the Ghia. I found that since I had relocated the battery to the front, I had the power running from the front of the car, to the back, back to front, and then back to the back, and then back to the front..... Those little electrons were being busy little bastards.... Then add in the small wiring sizes that I had used and that were in the stock wiring harness,,, well, lets just say that it wasn't right.... So, I've added some 8 gauge power wires and sorted out everything, so we're good to go (I hope,,, LOL)

Now, on to the oil leaks.... If you remember from previous posts, I was having issues with the flares breaking/cracking on my stainless tubing....

So I started asking around trying to figure a solution for this.... I was recommended to talk to the guys at Bonaco in Ontario CA.... Bonaco Inc. - Brake lines, AN Fittings, Aluminum Fittings, PTFE Hose Ends, Carburetor fuel line kits, fuel gauges and more... They have the trickiest tubing flare tool,,, so I got one....

I guess what makes it different is that the flare is actually has bumps/ridges on it.

OMG,,,, you should see the flares this thing makes..........

So now I just have to go around and redo all the flared ends and see if I can dry this pig up!!!!!!!!!!! Trying to talk to my buddy so I can use his shop (with a concrete floor) to do this, as my carpeted floor just doesn't like oil dripped on it.......
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Monday, thinking I had the electrical all sorted out, I took the car out on my little 3 mile test loop I use. Left one signal and was rolling onto the throttle, trying to get my gremlins to reappear. Damn, only boosting to 4-5 pounds, double damn, forgot to plug-in the boost controller and was only running on the waste gate spring..... Turned onto a side street so I could connect it back together... As I climbed out, this new GT Mustang pulls up next to me and rolls down his window... "I usually don't stop and congratulate someone for beating me, but that little thing is fast ! Whatcha got in it??"

"Just a stocker with a little boost," I replied, "If I'd known we were racing, I would of really got after it!!!!" Hope I don't go to hell for all the little lies I tell, LMAO.

He drove away shaking his head..... Don't mess with the Air Cooled!!!!! LOL
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
Monday, thinking I had the electrical all sorted out, I took the car out on my little 3 mile test loop I use. Left one signal and was rolling onto the throttle, trying to get my gremlins to reappear. Damn, only boosting to 4-5 pounds, double damn, forgot to plug-in the boost controller and was only running on the waste gate spring..... Turned onto a side street so I could connect it back together... As I climbed out, this new GT Mustang pulls up next to me and rolls down his window... "I usually don't stop and congratulate someone for beating me, but that little thing is fast ! Whatcha got in it??"

"Just a stocker with a little boost," I replied, "If I'd known we were racing, I would of really got after it!!!!" Hope I don't go to hell for all the little lies I tell, LMAO.

He drove away shaking his head..... Don't mess with the Air Cooled!!!!! LOL

You're my hero !!! I love it

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

As life goes -- so do our toys --

The Ghia is for sale for $16,500 --

I believe this is a really fair price knowing how much in receipts I've shredded....

all offers are welcome, but please don't embarrass yourself.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Tuner leaned out the engine, then noticed a loss of power -- I said thank you very much, please do it again sir

But I now have a solution to this tuner shit----

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Got the barrels back Friday and got them on today -- Heads were getting assembled and was laying everything out -- freaking only 7 retainers, where's the other retainer -- tore everything apart, it has disappeared -- called Summit and ordered 1 freaking retainer, S&H was more than the part,,, It'll be here tomorrow
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

It's my Birthday and I was actually able to accomplish something

Woo WHOO -- assembled the heads and got them installed and torqued down

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Well happy belated b-day.
You're ditching the FI? Think I thought you had ironed out all the kinks.
I'm not sure how to interpret the photo with the broken ring... are those metal fragments from a deceased piston due to detonation during boost?
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

All those "metal" fragments is actually Yamabond soft (available at your local Yamaha Dealer)-- -- I have been using this stuff for years as the sealer for my engines and it has cut down on leaks by 100%.... It is a little harder to clean off than other products but I like it better....

I guess my issue with EFI has been having this big of an engine and trying to find a tuner that understands air-cooled and all the stuff I've done..... So I'm going back to the stuff I know and putting the carb and MSD stuff to work....
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
So I'm going back to the stuff I know and putting the carb and MSD stuff to work....
Hope that changes your mind about selling; it's good seeing your badass Ghia on this forum. Cool
d5626
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
All those "metal" fragments is actually Yamabond soft (available at your local Yamaha Dealer)-- -- I have been using this stuff for years as the sealer for my engines and it has cut down on leaks by 100%.... It is a little harder to clean off than other products but I like it better....

I guess my issue with EFI has been having this big of an engine and trying to find a tuner that understands air-cooled and all the stuff I've done..... So I'm going back to the stuff I know and putting the carb and MSD stuff to work....

That sucks big time. It's one thing to blow your own stuff up tuning and a completely different feeling watching someone else mess your stuff up. At least you have experience to fall on to do draw thru again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 27

Jump to: