Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Karman Sutra
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Karman Sutra Reply with quote

Well, another car, another new begining, another name added to the list -- -- The Oval is dead, long live the Ghia -- stripping the last of the gofast parts off the oval and then it goes on the block -- in the mean time here is the newest victim of my abuse -- more pictures in the future and as work SLOWLY progresses lol

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I will be following this thread. Smile
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here! Cool

Cool grab bar for the passenger. Double pads on the brake pedal is interesting... I wonder if it's so you can switch heel/toe positions. I usually rotate my foot and use the throttle with my heel when needed, but the double pads would let you do it the other way (I think? Lol)

Paul
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are your plans for your car? Track? Autocross?

With my short arms and a 5 point belts I would never come close to touching that grab bar. Very Happy Razz

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
So what are your plans for your car? Track? Autocross?

With my short arms and a 5 point belts I would never come close to touching that grab bar. Very Happy Razz

Went and watched some time attack events/Protouring stuff at Adams track there in Riverside and was thinking a nice light weight Ghia with some HP could smoke these dudes...... So that is the direction I'm heading right now -- maybe some SOLO stuff.... figure it out as it gets closer..

As far as that grab bar --- it is adjustable for my short armed friends -- just have it stuck all the way in cause I was storing stuff in the front seat
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling down the 2919 for inspection

[img width=450 height=800]http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/Fiatdude/photobucket-2074-1335562379246.jpg[/img]

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, After working a 13 hour shift last night, I started to regain some sort of mental and physical functioning at about 2pm this afternoon --- My big plan was to get the flywheel off the short block and get it into the mail to Kennedy to get the 6v ring gear cut off and a harden tooth 12v ring gear installed and also have it modified to run their dual disc clutch setup.

I spent 4+ hours trying to loosen the 38mm big butt nut off this damn thing with absolutely no freaking luck. I had 3 friend over, 15 different suggestions, one "I always loosen that first" comment (Thanks for bringing that up NOW) -- tried heating the damn thing -- freezing it -- lubing it with everything penetrating this and loosen that goop I could buy at every auto parts store with 5 miles (there is 6 of them by the way, for those of you counting) --- had 6 of my skinny friends holding a bar for leverage on one side of the engine while my big ass was using my 8 foot 3/4" breaker bar on the nut was on the other side..... This f-ing nut ain't budging. So rather than blow the damn thing up with some C4, I called it a day and decided to write a freaking paragraph on my frustration and hope that someone reading this tirade can come with something really cool I haven't thought of or some magic twanger that will make this nut fall the f off............... f-ing Volkswagens
Disc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and a Torque Master http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7036
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Torque miester doesn't work on this because I went with the killer 38mm bolt -- I'm gonna find a HD mechanic with a 3/4" impact to remove it -- I Hope
hosspowerinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impact will work best if the flywheel is locked so keep that in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
casamagana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiatdude, PM sent
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Casa -- --

Went to Dynasaur tires here in Yucaipa -- the Dude had to whoop out the big 1" to get my nut off --- Then said no charge -- I slipped him a fiver anyway for some cerveza for tonight.... Then spent the rest of today making a flywheel puller --- Man, I use to have all this chit and it has disappeared through the years
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those flywheel locks, but I also once used a long piece of angle iron that I drilled a couple of holes in and using the clutch mount points, I attached it to the flywheel. Learned this from John Muir.

I also used to load the engine into the back of my car and drive down to the local tire shop and have them loosen it with the impact. One time, even the impact driver wouldn't budge it.

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday -- a simple task of pulling off the flywheel and splitting the case -- wife off to a girlie party -- 3-4 hrs of garage time -- no problem -- yeah right --------

Spent first hour tearing apart the garage looking for my cool old school flywheel puller, you remember the kind that looked like a old Pressure plate with the big screw through the middle -- -- it's gone --- must of loaned it out 20 years ago and never got it back -- -- chit -- -- Hit all the car parts store again for the second time in two days asking for the impossible tool -- -- Was being helped by this tall blonde assisant manager lady and I keep looking at her and looking at her and looking at her --- --- and I finally get this angle of her face -- --- I Know You -- she turns out to be one the girls we cruised E st with in San Bernardino back in the late 70's-80's -- -- we dated very briefly when I was 25-26 and she turned out to be 16 --- ooooops -- --- We spent a hour catching up and the fly wheel was still in the crank and no puller -- so I go home and do what any good VW guy does in a pinch -- I make one --- which takes an hour and a half with the welder, cutoff saw, grinder, drill motor, and a bunch of very dull bits -- I bolt it onto the flywheel and as it comes off I get a text -- "On my way home Honey" -- -- a quick clean up of the garage and I'm climbing out of the shower as she drives into the driveway.

She thinks I have cleaned up so well, she takes me down to Palm Springs for dinner at LULU's --- A Good Day
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murdlem wrote:
but I also once used a long piece of angle iron that I drilled a couple of holes in and using the clutch mount points, I attached it to the flywheel. Learned this from John Muir.

I used that trick for torquing mine. I was in a hardware store and saw the angle iron, and figured it would solve the problem of trying to hold the engine still Laughing

Paul

Felipe de Espaņa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self:
Fiatdude is a friend indeed! Noted his prior post and he's a Local!!!
We live about 3 miles from each others. They say it's a small world.
In the world of VW's it just keeps getting smaller and smaller! Shocked
Felipe de Espaņa

Mine you ask? 63 Ghia - 2 owner. ME.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on my way to work tonight and got the call -- no work tonight, but we need you here tomorrow at 6 am (chit) -- Drove home and dug into tearing the engine apart -- -- all the bearings and rotating parts are perfect...... I must be hearing chit... but better to check than to be lazy and have it fail.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipped the 6v Flywheel off to Kennedy on Monday -- got it back on Friday with a 'new' 12v ring gear installed, machined for and installed dual disc clutch system and the old FW surfaced for future abuse.

Went over to CarCraft today -- -- luckily Ed was there to help me get all the bearings I needed -- I had forgotten all the stuff that had been done on this engine -- Ed had the small journal SBC rod bearings -- then He pointed out the type 4 center main bearing (oops, I forgot about that) -- He said that T4 bearings were non-obtainable and they were having to buy new old stock (showed me a box that looked 20 years old) and if I wanted to replace the center main it was gonna cost me $75 for a set of bearings -- so we inspected the existing bearing and it checked out perfect so I'm gonna reuse it

What the hell are all you T4 guys doing for bearings right now?? --

Going to drop back a little on cam size from a .626 lift to .577 hoping to ease a little stress on the valve train
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: