Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Better Than a Barn Find.....My 1957 Horizon Blue Euro/Export
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebeetle1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in '87...

My beetle was already 30 years old....

How time flies!

June 1957 "Big Window" Oval Beetle! Yes it does really exist....
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disneyherbie wrote:
Wow! That was you Tom? I remember that Lotterman pic in Hot VWs. What a small world. Just insane!

Yes Sir!

That was me, long long ago and far far away. Very Happy (together with my first Oval Oval).
I miss that car, it was lovely, all original matching numbers - rare L 378 prairie beige with German dark beige cloth seats, the FO had rattlecaned the bumpers, that was the only visible flaw.

Had some amazing fun that Bad Camberg we had what? 2 more shows after that and then Willi was gone..... Sad R.I.P.

I know if he was still with us, he'd get a kick outta Blauchen that's for sure. (o\|/o)

Tom
USA RAM Protection/Export Overrider Bumpers - MPH Speedometer -
Sealed Beam Headlights and Bullet Front Turn Signals!
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave Byron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your car made letter of the month in my copy of Volksworld this month Tom. Nice little bit.

Congrats Cool
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Byron wrote:
I see your car made letter of the month in my copy of Volksworld this month Tom. Nice little bit.

Congrats Cool

Thanks so much Dave! Smile
99.9% ORIGINAL PARTS WITH ONLY 36,500 ORIGINAL MILES/ GARAGE FIND/ UNRESTORED CAR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have the wheel and MC brake cylinders bored and sleeved to keep the original ones working if they are pitted too much with rust.

You need to go thru the electrical system to get ALL the lights working brightly. Test how much voltage at the battery and then test voltage getting thru to headlights, running lights, signals, etc.. Take apart each connection, for cleaning, dielectric grease and retighten. You want to get the voltage drop down to less than 1/10 volt. Have seen 2 volts or more drops in these old VWs.

One fellow we helped with his very low mileage restored 58 Westie, had a bad dimmer switch which was sending 4 volts to low beam and at same time was sending 2 volts to high beam. Plus the NOS regulator only put out max 6.2 volts instead of fully charging to 7.2 volts He never drove it at night due to to dim of headlights.

In the early bell shaped headlight switches are riveted connections on outside and inside that loosen and corrosion gets into causing voltage drops. These can be soldered to remove voltage drops.

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html

Same soldering with the pre-1968 VW fuse boxes is required. Internal connections get loose, corroded up and need soldering to make air tight corrosion free. VW finally spot welded all connections in the post-1967 fuse boxes to get rid of those gremlins.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering

Other factor is at least the USA taillights have a plastic dark red filter in them, added because USA law makers considered the 1956-61 taillights to be TOO bright. Remove the filters and have taillights that are bright enough for modern traffic to see and hopefully not rear end you. Also adding a pair of small yellow lights connected up to the turn/brakes wires makes a huge difference in todays drivers seeing your signals....
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Other factor is at least the USA taillights have a plastic dark red filter in them, added because USA law makers considered the 1956-61 taillights to be TOO bright. Remove the filters and have taillights that are bright enough for modern traffic to see and hopefully not rear end you.

I took those out the first 24 hours I had the car......my taillights are very very bright!

Tom

P.S. People almost rear end you here bc they are tailgating you. :p
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been pretty sick lately, haven't been able to do anything car wise... Sad

Tom
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stop doing that, and get better soon!
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Well stop doing that, and get better soon!

Thanks Eric and all that info is gratefully received, I need to do some serious electrical work on Blauchen as soon as I can......

Tom
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's been a long time since I've posted about Blauchen, last week he was at the shop for a little tuning up.

We added new points and a condenser, but we still have that problem with the seized distributor shaft, so we cannot advance timing as normal, we had to gap the plugs by use of the pulley.

I've sprayed the seam of the distributor with PB Blaster to no avail, I have NO IDEA how we are going to get that distributor loose?

Lubricated everything, checked the oil and Blauchen's was all ready to do the VW Classic in Lakeland (see photos below)

We had such a good time at Lakeland, seeing many old friends and making new ones, the weather was fine on Sunday, cloudy at first, but it all burned off by Noon.

I got a lead on a correct horn, which I'll be buying soon and there's just some rubber seals and door gaskets I have to buy shortly as the rainy seasons going to be back here in Florida before you know it.

Still need to secure some of the extra long original German 36HP peashooters to fashion up the chrome, I did get some hubcaps 2 weekends ago from the Baron, which made a real difference in how Blauchen looked for the show.

And speaking of the show, Blauchen came up one more level this year (last year he won 3rd) this year he took 2nd place in the 1-A pre 1958 Stock Show Class, very kool. Smile

We both had a lovely drive back home to Winter Haven, spent some time next to Lake Howard, but still was able to get back home before dark......

Ohh I did forget to mention, I bought Blauchen a brand new Optima 6 volt Gel Battery and since then the car starts and runs like crazy, but it really didn't change the way the headlights work/look they are still dim as can be, I cannot drive over 50 mph at night on unlite backroads because I outrun my headlights beam. :p

So Long For Now!

Tom
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have been soaking it for so long you could try rotating the distributor with a strap wrench. Try one direction and then the other. If it moves better to shift it back and forth while adding some more penetrating oil.

Would need to remove the vacuum advance to keep from crushing it.
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Since you have been soaking it for so long you could try rotating the distributor with a strap wrench. Try one direction and then the other. If it moves better to shift it back and forth while adding some more penetrating oil.

Yes, we have already tried this......guess I'll just have to put a cut up soda bottle taped to the distributor head and flush it full with PB Blaster and let it sit for about a week?

Speaking of repairs the next hurtle I need to tackle is the turn signals and horn, have to replace the Bullet Blinker seals and install a 6 Volt Hella Horn.

Still have to have a welder make me a little tray for my Optima battery, that's also on my list of things to do soon.

I'm still researching how to get H4 Halogen bulbs installed without taking the original look away from my GE Sealed Beam headlights? If anyone out there has H4's running behind their original Sealed Beam lamps let me know?

I'd also like to do something about my semaphores, they have been restored, but are not operational, due to the fact I need (2) European switches for the column and collectors have driven the prices up to a stupid level. :p
Or I might just use the existing American switch (I need a new arm, for mine is bent) and just add a European switch behind it? Just can't afford the crazy prices they want for switches, even beat up used ones.

That's all for now, Blauchen and I will be at PLANT CITY on Saturday, if anyone's coming out, we'll see you there!

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropping oil into the distributor will not help. Needs to be dripped down the outer side of the distributor.

Have you tried to move it with engine good and warmed up? Aluminum swells up bigger faster than the steel of the distributor.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want halogen headlights headlights that look like sealed beams, then just buy "halogen 7 inch sealed beam 6 volt bulbs".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sealed%20beam%207%20halogen%206%20volt%20bulbs
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
If you want halogen headlights headlights that look like sealed beams, then just buy "halogen 7 inch sealed beam 6 volt bulbs".

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sealed%20beam%207%20halogen%206%20volt%20bulbs

Have you tried any of these? All look like Chevy products? I need something for the VW Idiot that will just bolt or screw in....no fuss. Razz

I would also like to keep the original GE glass lamps, so the car still looks original when the lights are turned off, so those ready made bulbs won't work anyhow, I don't know if I have to cut the backs of the sealed beams off to use new bulbs, I haven't taken them apart since I own the car and it's the first car I've even owned with them, I'm used to European headlights.

Tom

Last edited by Blauchen L331 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blauchen L331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Dropping oil into the distributor will not help. Needs to be dripped down the outer side of the distributor.

Have you tried to move it with engine good and warmed up? Aluminum swells up bigger faster than the steel of the distributor.

YEAH, we tried it block hot and it didn't move an inch......I have no clue?

No one here locally has ever had this issue with a 36hp motor in the past.....so I don't have much to go on about this.

Tom
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it is time to try carefully levering it out.
vwsonmybrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L.T. tackled that distributor problem on page one of his thread (about mid-way down). I'd recommend Eric&Barb's strap wrench method, though, as it is fairly easy to damage the distributor body.

None-the-less, L.T.'s example will give you some reference as to what you're up against and why it's jammed.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419739&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion for something to try for cleaning the interior. If you try this, you need to try it on a really small spot first to see how it does. Probably even have it dry first before moving on to bigger areas.

Consider taking a shop vac, but then cut a hole in the hose so that it draws a very light vacuum (because there is a "vacuum leak" on the hose). Then use a brush attachment so that the end piece can't "grab" your interior or headliner.

Now for the cleaning agent. The universal solvent. Water. Specifically, distilled water. Mist it on with a spray bottle, then suck it off with the vacuum again and again. Distilled water is so clean that it will pick up dirt.

You could try two water bottles...one with a diluted laundry detergent for the "wash", and then another with just plain rinse water. Perhaps you could even try a super gentle rubbing with a soft sponge.

That's what I'll be trying when I have less important things to fix.

Steve
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blauchen L331 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Yes, we have already tried this......guess I'll just have to put a cut up soda bottle taped to the distributor head and flush it full with PB Blaster and let it sit for about a week?

Just an FYI, PB Blaster is not the best solution for freeing frozen items, there was a test someone here reported on a while ago, Liquid Wrench was much better, and the best of all was a acetone/ATF home brew.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: