Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Shop-car build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

I spent the past weekend in Medford, OR at a Porsche 914 gathering and had a great time. I didn't bring the 914 since the motor has WAY too many miles on it (around 400K!!) and I just don't trust it to get there and back. So I thought I would crash the party in the Squarsche since it's about as much Porsche as any 914. . . Laughing

We had the Siskiyou Speedway rented for the day and had a great time. It's a great road course that is primarily used for cart racing and auto-x. The Squarsche performed great and surprised most at the track bybeating all but the fastest cars. During the single lap runs it outran even a 914-6 with a 3.6L 993 motor! Twisted Evil 'Course once we got to the 3 lap endouro racing, the guys running slicks were able to get heat in their tires and I ended up in 8th overall. Evil or Very Mad I NEED some racing tires to compete with the big boys cause these cheap Sumitomos just can't handle a track. Myself and a few of the guys stayed after for a practice session to continue the fun after most had gone back to the hotel. I had one of the funnest sessions with my buddy Rich riding along. Here's the footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTP7jvbsJBs

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Josh & I finally got a chance to get the Squarsche out on a true and legendary road course this past Friday. We signed-up for the SCCA Track Night out at Pacific Raceway (it'll always be Seattle International Raceway or SIR to me) and had a great time.

The night was uneventful for us, but was very expensive for a couple folks. A guy in a late model Porsche 911 GT2 skidded off and ruined a set of wheels and tool out his front bumper, left-side radiator and lots under the car. Fixable, but it'll cost him. A guy in an '05 Z-06 Vette right behind me lost it in the first 200 yards (!!) on cold tires and impacted the wall @ around 75-80mph before bouncing across and OVER the other wall and coming to rest in a heap on the drag strip. Paddy-wagon came and he was fine, but the car was a total loss. Anywho. . .

We needed to run this event with our full muffler on which meant we were down a bit on power plus it was running a bit lean @ WOT and you could feel the car hesitating in places, but overall it ran good. I ordered a set of race tires (Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2s), but they didn't come in time for this event, so I ran it on my ragged-out Sumitomos and they worked fine, but I was extra cautious in areas because of them. I was fully expecting brake fade to set-in, but it never did and was very happy about that.

On the last session, I told Josh to hop in and we'll let them tell us that he couldn't ride along,. . . No one did!! So he got to have some fun too!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdAGGP_fN4I

Nate M.

Squarsche build

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar!

Twisted Evil

What’s That Noise?!?
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nice vid! Thanks for sharing!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar!

Twisted Evil

Twisted Evil Yes it is!!

Nate M.

Squarsche build

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama

Rolling Eyes
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

SIR was probably a short lived name change? My Uncle Ed called it Pacific Raceway in the '60's when we took his Karts out there to practice/race. He let me put 'hot' laps on his homebuilt 250 Yamaha powered #66 out there a few times! Twisted Evil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

I spent the weekend out at the track racing the Squarsche at a 2 day auto-x. They did a couple configurations with Sunday's being our normal track, but in reverse with a couple changes. Wow!! Was it fun in reverse and one hell of a workout too.

Last week my new Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2's cam in and I had them mounted on my spare set of Porsche Twist wheels. I stepped up to a 215 in the front and a 255 in the rear. The grip is incredible. My buddy Craig told me that I was coming up on 2 wheels on a certain corner every time!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ytNsvKtW9Q

I did have to retire a couple hours early when my steering coupler came loose on a run and I started to experience some mild binding (pucker factor-10! considering the driving I was doing). So I had to call it a day and spectate and take ride-a-longs with my friends. Overall, a great Independence Day weekend filled with cars, friends, family and racing.

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Nice!

You know you're pushing it when things like the steering coupler start to break! Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Fixed the steering. It's loctite'd in this time. I hope that never happens again; that was pretty scary. Laughing

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Can't wait!! Hotel reservations are in. The car is running awesome. I've got a final dyno day set to get the race tune dialed to the max. so far, the salt is in great condition. We're going back to World of Speed @ Bonneville September 9th - 13th with the Squarsche to defend our record and raise the bar a lot higher!! My son has to get his driver's license 5 days before we leave. If he does, he'll be racing for the first time co-driving!!

Nate M.

Squarsche build

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Two things:

1) Great that the car is doing so well!
B) Great that the salt is back to a place that racing can happen again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Two things:

1) Great that the car is doing so well!
B) Great that the salt is back to a place that racing can happen again!

Agreed. Have fun.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

So.... Father / Son challenge is on????
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
So.... Father / Son challenge is on????

Josh had better not beat me. . . It's a long walk home!! Laughing

Nate M.

Squarsche build

eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

For whom??? Kick salt Josh
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Got with Mario Velotta of www.thedubshop.net yesterday and converted my car from MAP based enrichment (speed density) to TPS based enrichment (Alpha N). The reason was that with the higher lift and longer duration cam, the motor doesn't make a ton of vacuum @ idle (about 72kpa)which can make MAP based tuning tricky. He also discovered that my map sensor had been malfunctioning and needed to be replaced anyway. This would explain my going lean @ altitude problem I noticed last weekend on a drive up the mountains, so. . . Rolling Eyes Wink

He got it dialed-in and it runs awesome!! Instant throttle response at any RPM now. I'll be going to Bonneville this year with about 70 more HP at the wheels over last year (2014). Now I'm off to get a 4-wheel alignment. After that, I just have to pull the passenger seat out and remove the un-necessary stuff out of the car and we're ready for the trip next Thursday. Dancing Maybe this year we'll gain entry into the "130 Club"; we'll definitely be a lot faster than 2014!!

Here's the final dyno pull from yesterday. . . Twisted Evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bReOErRtRxE&feature=youtu.be

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

We arrived at Bonneville today around 10am. Got through tech with no issues and set-up our pits. My son Josh is driving first. Racing begins at 10am Saturday. If we have time, I'll take a crack at it later and try to chase him down.

Going through tech:

Josh ready to race:

Our Crew: Josh, yours truly & Robert

Nate M.

Squarsche build

Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

Today was the first day of racing. Josh kicked @$$!! I'm one super proud dad!!

On his first run (the qualifying run), he sandbagged it in 4th gear and ran a 104mph revealing me of my previous 2014 VW Challenge record. It wasn't a clean run, but it was good enough with the new motor.

His second run was mostly clean and the fastest of the day @ 115.4mph!! He's definitely raised the bar. What makes this even better is that he only recieved his drivers license 4 days ago and this was literally the first time he drove any car on his own w/o either me or his mom in the car with him!! I'm super proud of him!!

We're running just a little rich which will hurt power, so I e-mailed a datalog and tune to Mario from thedubshop.net and he's making positive changes to the tune. So tomorrow we should be even better. You just gotta love technology.

I ran my fastest w/o the front air dam and bumper assembly back in 2014, so we're going to run it removed and see how if that helps. We're also going to be taping all the seams and vents with duct tape too. Wink

Getting ready to run getting last minute advise from Dad:

Carlos Wheeldon checking his belts and safety gear before his first run:

Away he goes. . .

Nate M.

Squarsche build

slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My Shop-car build thread Reply with quote

While you are out at Bonneville, keep your eyes peeled for a Blue Kia .
It should be out there in a a nondescript red Enclosed trailer .
It was in the shop on friday and they took my trailer out there with them.
The car is pretty insane. Nitrous,full rollcage. I didnt get a good look at it, but saw it had a chute on the back too.I was kinda busy with work and stuff

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Jump to:
Page 40 of 43

Jump to: