Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Nice!

But what happened to the rocker covers? Cool
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

They are black now. Masked off the sealing surface and inside of the cover.

Couple weeks from now I I'll be heading down to Indiana to pick up a 091-1 four speed 1990 Vanagon transmission. Not that I need that much transmission, I'm just after the beefy reverse gear. A lot of guys I know up north destroy reverse repeatedly trying to get unstuck from a tight situation. Tires slip on the slick clay trying to back up hill, dig thru the clay and catch a sharp rock, and boom! No more reverse. Some of them switched to the 091-1 and haven't had a problem since. The 091-1 reverse gear is bigger than first gear, and the 091-1 first gear is bigger than the 091 first gear. The 4.83:1 R&P and stock ratios should work well with taller tires.

I love the trails up north. Cool

At any rate, I don't think it will be to hard to make transmission mounts for it. Shift linkage adapter will probably be pretty simple too. I can probably copy the Wedle shift linkage (200ish dollars last I looked!) for about $20 worth of parts and a couple hours of spare time.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I took a look at the 1990 Vanagon 091-1 transmission in the VW boneyard yesterday. Vanagon is up on jacks with the engine pulled. I will come back next week to finish the job. Shouldn't be to hard to get that transmission out now that there is some room to work under the vehicle.

Talked to a guy at church this morning who owns a glass shop. Said he would pick my frame and install a proper safety glass windshield for me. Nice! Cool

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Please tell me you're going to spend a year or two rebuilding a transmission Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Nope. I won't be messing with that. If it appears to need any more work than replacing the seals I will have a local guy who does Euro transmissions deal with it. It should have the updated stronger 3/4 slider hub. the original style slider was the main weak link of these gearboxes. Transmission was fine when the engine blew and it went to the bone yard, so I think some fresh seals will do her. Guess I won't know until it is on the table.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

So I cracked open the bell housing and what do I find??

Factory four spider gear differential. Oh yeah, looks like the R&P is in fair shape too!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

The intermediate housing will need to be rebuilt to restore the press fit on the main shaft ball bearing behind the constant mesh reverse gear in the picture below. Most likely will get sent in as a core and replaced with one that has been machined for a steel pressed in sleeve. A real reverse gear and beefy diff will be an asset for trail riding up north!

flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Looking good! I think you should lend me those 7 x 15 tires as you may not need them for awhile Smile
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Mmmmmmm mind that 4.83 R&P in the 86-91 transmissions. I've taken apart 4 of these now, and all of them had a badly spalled pinion with minimal/undetectable damage to the ring gear. One had 81K on it and was owned by an old man in Arizona. Look closely at the root of the pinion teeth.

The fix on both of my transmissions that I rebuilt was not that abhorrently expensive or difficult, I just prowled eBay and the For Sale section here and found some 4.86 R&P sets. One ended up being from a 5 speed so I just cut the end stub off for the unnecessary 5th gear and slapped her in and set it up with bluing compound. It ended up using the shims the guy sent me with the pinion bearing.

Badly spalled 4.83 @ ~80K miles.

New setup installed! works like a champ.

Yay! All fixed. Smile

Also, I machined this shift linkage, but anything of similar design would work very very well. The shift feel is truly incredible, not vague at all. I would place it well ahead of any VW shifter I have ever felt.

VIDEO for clarification of functionality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ei8wFEvyxI
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

You are right about that silly 6 tooth pinion gear. Very stout teath, but always wear faster because the same work is shared by fewer teath. Some minor pitting isn't so bad, and the pinion can have a lot of life left before she starts telling you it's time to go, but yeah, they definetly wear out faster than others. There always comes a time when it is pitted badly and needs to be replaced. I like your solution to trim down the 5 speed shaft. Nice work! Cool

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Weddle sells a stronger thrust plate for the mainshaft bearing. It does require machining front cover for it to fit.
Also they have aluminum gear carrier housing that are a lot stronger then the magnesium stock part.
I would highly recommend using the 091-311-309HD 3rd/4th gear slider hub over a stock replacement.
The 091/1 and 094 do not require the use of a jig to set up the shift forks which makes it simpler to setup.
Make sure to use a good quality gear oil as most R&P damaged can be traced back to using oil not design to hold up to the pressure.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Always used a GL5 gear oil.

For $50 bucks more a new aluminum housing may be worth the money over a remanufactured (sleeved) stock unit. I think that may be the way to go.

As far as the 3/4 hub, this one should have the radiused one from the factory and not that miserable squared off keyway style most came with. I will check when it is totally appart. If it has the good one I will leave it alone. If not, I'll get the upgraded aftermarket one.

Thanks guys!!

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

091 starter fail. Heavy gauge copper wire between solenoid and motor was so coroded that is crumbled into pieces when I touched it. So, I turned it in as a core for a rebuilt unit.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Also got a new cross shaft because the stock one was pretty tired. One of the forks showed a lot of wear where the throw out bearing rides against it. Aftermarket replacements are pretty beefy, I was actually surprised.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Talked to Jim of Jims Buggy Parts here in Michigan today about the transmission. Sounds like he is willing to do the work for me. Next Saturday I am going to run it up and drop it off. At a minimum will need the intermediate housing replaced. May need bearings/syncros as well. We will see what it all amounts to. May as well get it done while its appart.

I have the rocker assemblies, pushrods/tubes and lifters waiting to be installed on the engine with fresh cam lube until I get the transmission squared away. Once I get the trans back I will slap in the lifters, pushrods/tubes, and rocker assemblies with fresh lube and fire her up and run it in. Smile

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Dropped the transmission off today to get rebuilt. I'm pretty excited. I got the solid bell housing cradle made up. Just need to do the front mount when I get her back. I'm using a urethane trailing arm pivot pin bushing for the front mount. I don't mind solid bell housing mounts, but never cared for solid mounts all the way around. I just like the idea of having some give somewhere in the system for flex, etc.

smileyman3000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

I have just read your entire thread over the last two days.
Mate!! You are doing an amazing job!! The attention to detail is second to none! You should be super proud of the work you are doing as well as the information and guidance you are sharing with us fortunate followers on here.

I can't believe I wasn't subscribed already!

And great work with the Type 4 engine.
We have just fitted an uprighted 1800 to my dad's street Beetle and did a 5500km trip to the other end of the country in 10 days return. Never missed a beat and pulls like a freight train with roid rage!!
You get funny looks when you go charging past modern cars up hill in top gear and they can't keep up. I loved it!!

Keep up the fantastic work my friend, I can't wait to see what happens next!

Smiley Smile
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Thanks man, appreciate it. Funny you should mention it because I have been really impressed with your baja too as it so happens.

The other day I made a 1/4" thick aluminum plate to use at the fuel sender location on the tank so I can run a fuel level sight tube and a safety rollover valve. Aluminum plate was free scrap from a buddy who has a metal fab shop. Safety rollover valve is just a generic for many GM vehicles that I picked up at Autozone. Gasket I cut from a sheet of fuel safe rubber. I got the compression fitting kit for flexible tubing at the hardware store as well. Just 3/16" od green translucent fuel hose for small engines. The compression fittings for flexible tubing have brass sleeves that go inside the tubing to give the soft tubing some support and substance to compress against. I personally don't care much for extra electrics of buggies...minimalistic vehicles after all. Since the rollover valve takes up the large hole for what would have been the sender, I had to drill a small hole in the top. One end of the tube goes to the top, and the other end to the bottom. Let's you see how full/empty the tank is. One of my buddies actually filled his tank one gallon at a time and marked the tubing with a black Sharpie marker at the level of fuel after each gallon was added.

A side note, this tanks filler cap was vented. Easy to plug. Just pop the cover off from the no drop string, heat up a soldering iron, melt some solder on the tip, and put a drip over the little hole. Hot solder melts it's way into the plastic and solidifies to seal the vent hole. Wink

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Fuel tank ready to bolt on to frame.

Also got some longer studs to mount the engine to the bell housing.

Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Project Slowly Underway: Berrien 295 Reply with quote

Got all four rims piwdercoated flat black. Front tires just got mounted. Still unsure of rear tires. Laughing

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 39

Jump to: