Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So what do I/don't I have here? ('63 Notchback)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks awesome Chris! That tranny turned out super and damn clean. Is it a complete rebuild or did you pull it, scrub it up and paint it? Spray some Gloss Black VHT on that starter! What's next?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great! A messy garage is a sign of a busy man!

Where'd you find those bands?
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Looking great! A messy garage is a sign of a busy man!

Where'd you find those bands?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LTJI4Y/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just cut off their ends and put the cotter pin clamp on. They're slightly narrower than original but pretty close.
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Wow, that looks awesome Chris! That tranny turned out super and damn clean. Is it a complete rebuild or did you pull it, scrub it up and paint it? Spray some Gloss Black VHT on that starter! What's next?

I had the tranny built by Rancho and I had them powder coat the case. I originally wanted them to do a 40% gloss but the powder coater screwed up and did 100% gloss black. So I just had everything else done in gloss black. I probably won't paint the starter until (if) I tear this car down to the pan.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Chris! So glad that car found a good home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

I had the tranny built by Rancho and I had them powder coat the case. I originally wanted them to do a 40% gloss but the powder coater screwed up and did 100% gloss black. So I just had everything else done in gloss black. I probably won't paint the starter until (if) I tear this car down to the pan.

What's next is, get the brakes on the rear and the wheels and shove the motor in and hopefully drive this thing!
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

What's next is, get the brakes on the rear and the wheels and shove the motor in and hopefully drive this thing!

That's a good plan! I remember wanting to get my motor back in and get it on the road again. This AM I took it out for a long drive and when I got back, I been popping the lid to see how things go, especially with this oil pressure thing I had going on and well, a new issue - related of course. Have oil on the top of the case, looks as if it's coming from the cooler itself but need to be sure so I'm going to pull that sides tin off and have a look and change seals while I'm at it. I'm close to the start of my build time and may just move forward with it early but I wanted to get the motor gremlins out and get a few other prep-work items done before I start my project. Still need to build a stand for the body.

Your square looks great so keep pressing on it and you'll be back in it cruising and cheezin ear to ear. Cool
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:

That's a good plan! I remember wanting to get my motor back in and get it on the road again. This AM I took it out for a long drive and when I got back, I been popping the lid to see how things go, especially with this oil pressure thing I had going on and well, a new issue - related of course. Have oil on the top of the case, looks as if it's coming from the cooler itself but need to be sure so I'm going to pull that sides tin off and have a look and change seals while I'm at it. I'm close to the start of my build time and may just move forward with it early but I wanted to get the motor gremlins out and get a few other prep-work items done before I start my project. Still need to build a stand for the body.

Your square looks great so keep pressing on it and you'll be back in it cruising and cheezin ear to ear. Cool

???? Am I missing something
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

???? Am I missing something

sorry about the confusion. I had about three and half hours sleep after being up for 25hrs. For some reason I was thinking square over notch. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the engine done and put back in:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Finished putting the brakes back together too...

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That early engine looks great Chris. I like the contrast in tin color, shroud and manifold. I hope my early engine I intend on putting together comes together as nicely as yours. Do you happen to have a shot of the side of your engine that has the thermo/spacer that connects the manifold to the heat exchanger?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
That early engine looks great Chris. I like the contrast in tin color, shroud and manifold. I hope my early engine I intend on putting together comes together as nicely as yours. Do you happen to have a shot of the side of your engine that has the thermo/spacer that connects the manifold to the heat exchanger?

Thanks MonT3! I didn't take a photo of the thermo/spacer, sorry... It might be kind of hard to get a photo now that it's in, but I could try if you'd like.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Paterson wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

Thanks MonT3! I didn't take a photo of the thermo/spacer, sorry... It might be kind of hard to get a photo now that it's in, but I could try if you'd like.

You can see it on page 3 before I installed it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

You can see it on page 3 before I installed it.

Oh yeah, looky there!

The only thing I did was clean it up. I cleaned out the carbon deposits on the inside that had built up.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also found this one in my gallery.

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. so there's no cover over that coiled ban like the standard choke. ok, Thanks!!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got some time back on this! We moved on August first. I've got a 1 year old and a pregnant wife. So it takes 2.5 months to get back in the garage. But I'm closer to back on the road. All I need to do now is fill the engine back up with oil. ( I drained it because it was leaking out of the filler spout to engine case connection because I couldn't get a wrench on the stupid nut) and bleed the brakes.

I also made some time per Kris's suggestion to safety wire up all the fuel lines from the brass fittings. Safety first. Plus I'd be pretty pissed if I burned all this work down!

Plus I have to spend some time to teach the boy about engines Wink

65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!! Chris this is what it's all about

Applause Applause Applause

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, Chris!
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored this from Mario in Germany! Also, got my order started for the Salt n' pepper seats. I'm expecting it to take a year... but at least it's started!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: