Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding Cooling Fins to Aftermarket Heads
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After working on several other large projects, I am back on to these heads. I bought a shiny new Miller TIG welder and will be working with that. In the mean time I was talked into, and rationally agreed, to installing the heads as-is to come up with base numbers prior to installing the fins. It seems having actual numbers is what people want to see instead of saying ~20%+ more cooling is estimated. Of course the numbers mean nothing since everyone will have a different combo, tuned differently and with different ambient temperatures.
Now if I were just doing it for myself I would just install them and be done with it since I know they run hot on large turbo engines. So I ask, Who is interested in the actual data and would consider this mod if it proves very worth while and the price was reasonable (<$500; not sure yet)?
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont for get to sand blast them rough real rough before you weld them to your heads so they can release the heat& suck up more, just to releace&suck,hmm, transfur the heat to the air faster.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
dont for get to sand blast them rough real rough before you weld them to your heads so they can release the heat& suck up more, just to releace&suck,hmm, transfur the heat to the air faster.

That was my plan except the contact point need to be smooth. Great minds think alike. (but we spell different)
The rough texture creates more surface area; hence, more heat release.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr_Zed_ZX20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on your progress?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you on vacation??? hope your ok, drop us a line or 2 when you can.
aircooled356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read a post that he was moving on from the VW scene. But I may be wrong.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T. Pieper heads from Germany has also fins and through holes at around exhaust port, also the head has taller top fins than normal head or JPM head.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm are those pushrod tube cutouts angled corectly??wish I still had cnc mill's at my fingertips.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they made em extra big so it clears. Neat idea!
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
you on vacation??? hope your ok, drop us a line or 2 when you can.

Hey Mark thanks for asking. I have been too busy at work and at life to really get on line. Some life changing events have stalled my progress and I decided to install the heads as-is to get base-line readings. A friend suggested it and it was a wise decision. Who would believe me if I said the heads cooled better without actual numbers to back it up?
In general the build has stalled a bit due to life but also countless hours of widening the shroud and all the tin for this engine which is over an inch wider. The sheet metal has been fully painted to match my buggy and with any luck will go in the car this weekend. It will still be some time to get all the new plumbing done and rewiring of the engine bay but life is settling back down so I hope to be posting a start up video and driving it by mid-summer. Sorry about my lack of contribution to the samba lately....

yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircooled356 wrote:
I think I read a post that he was moving on from the VW scene. But I may be wrong.

Yes I have considered different platforms to move onto but my roots are still here. There's just no money in it. If this were my primary source of income I would be homeless and stealing food by now.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
aircooled356 wrote:

Yes I have considered different platforms to move onto but my roots are still here. There's just no money in it. If this were my primary source of income I would be homeless and stealing food by now.

The terms "9-5" and "40 hour work week" have no meaning at Mofoco....

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
yamaducci wrote:
aircooled356 wrote:

You also have a full retail shop and advertise in the mags. I also won't use Empi parts to make a profit.
I could do all of that yet my focus is on the larger engines that cost too much for the average Dubber - that's just the facts I have learned.
I am glad you are doing well.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
yamaducci wrote:
aircooled356 wrote:

You also have a full retail shop and advertise in the mags. I also won't use Empi parts to make a profit.
I could do all of that yet my focus is on the larger engines that cost too much for the average Dubber - that's just the facts I have learned.

I don't advertise in the mags and I make barely anything selling EMPI. My point was that to make any money in the VW business, you have to work much harder than 9-5, 40 hours a week. I put in an average of 60-80 hours a week and pay myself for 30. If I decided to say, "screw it", I could sell everything, build engines and cylinder heads by myself in a 1 stall garage and make 100 times more money. I do what I do to keep this industry alive. It's given a lot of me and my family over the last 42 years and now it's time for me to give back and leave my mark.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
yamaducci wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
yamaducci wrote:
aircooled356 wrote:

I don't advertise in the mags and I make barely anything selling EMPI. My point was that to make any money in the VW business, you have to work much harder than 9-5, 40 hours a week. I put in an average of 60-80 hours a week and pay myself for 30. If I decided to say, "screw it", I could sell everything, build engines and cylinder heads by myself in a 1 stall garage and make 100 times more money. I do what I do to keep this industry alive. It's given a lot of me and my family over the last 42 years and now it's time for me to give back and leave my mark.

Thank you for keeping it going. You have clearly been an excellent contributer to our industry.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup life has a way of getting in the way of fun.
9-5 m-f, aint that funny, roy's a comodian!!!! I dont ever remember not working 6 days a week, usualy 730 or 8-5 witch was usualy more like to 6~7 or so atleast 8 months a year.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:

Wimping out, huh?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out for those roots they can blow off your filter!!!or twist an ankle. just keep us informed on your progress.
aircooled356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
yamaducci wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
yamaducci wrote:
aircooled356 wrote:

Thank you for keeping it going. You have clearly been an excellent contributer to our industry.

Hard work always rewards us in the end Roy. Thanks.
Whew, I thought Yama had jumped into the 180 degree water. Good to hear you're ok and still cooling with air. Wink
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to make some progress and get some photos this weekend to post in my build thread; see link below if you care to follow. It will be an exciting day when I turn the key for the first time.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: