Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding Cooling Fins to Aftermarket Heads
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Adding Cooling Fins to Aftermarket Heads Reply with quote

I have been designing a way to add additional cooling fins to Aftermarket Competition Eliminator heads and am wondering if anyone else has come up with anything like this. This procedure would obviously make the aftermarket heads much more streetable
So far, the AutoCAD Design work is about 60% done.
I do however have a paper template I could trace to come up with mock-up fins.

Also, Would anyone be interested in this modification once I complete the design? I have access to a waterjet/laser cutting services if inquiries are high enough to do a production run of parts.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the way to go,if I had a set I would just cut,weld,taper&finish,but a nice fitting watter jetted set would be great(dont have to be perfect but closer the fit the better,and you might sell them to the dune guys,or even a cali co that builds other than drag motors that use those heads,or start your own koolheaded techknoligy service, kinda a no brainer, for the ones with brains.are you doing all the way around the head so the lower side gets cooled also?& add a deflector so the air that passes through the center of the head is redirected to go fore& aft through the fins not just blow on the ground.it would make the ultimate head mod for those on a street car/roadrace/dune,desert/even drag's.dropen seats isant kool,but keepen kool is.and yup that gives better and longer seat time. good work.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
thats the way to go,if I had a set I would just cut,weld,taper&finish,but a nice fitting watter jetted set would be great(dont have to be perfect but closer the fit the better,and you might sell them to the dune guys,or even a cali co that builds other than drag motors that use those heads,or start your own koolheaded techknoligy service, kinda a no brainer, for the ones with brains.are you doing all the way around the head so the lower side gets cooled also?& add a deflector so the air that passes through the center of the head is redirected to go fore& aft through the fins not just blow on the ground.it would make the ultimate head mod for those on a street car/roadrace/dune,desert/even drag's.dropen seats isant kool,but keepen kool is.and yup that gives better and longer seat time. good work.

With my engine in Mock-up now (90 x 94) I have come up with adding two complete fins which includes what you call the top and bottom (lets say, to tops and two bottoms then). It would look, if you can visualize, the reverse of somone milling an entire fin off when having to flycut too deep. More fins could be added but it would appear like the entire first cylinder fin would be inside the head bore so two seems to be the limit unless the barrels are cut down more.
I have also designed larger fins for the stubby exhaust port fin area.
With all the cooling problems on larger VW/Porsche engines I am surprised someone hasn't built huge cooling finned heads and enlarged sheetmetal, wider fanshrouds and fans etc. While I am at it I have been pondering the idea of a carbon fiber fan slightly wider than the 37mm fan. I used to own a small Carbon fiber company so that was a concept that would be interesting to see go-live. (not that it ever will for the price tag it would carry)
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stick a few between the push rods and the heads also,kinda like the mofoco's fined all the way up to the rocker box.and yess a good complement on the ex ports,and dont for get they need to be able to fit the shroud close so the air go's between the fins not around them on the serface of the shroud ,and they need a dump site for the heated aire to go out freely so the fins do something,a stagnate fin does almost nothing. and I would go as far up the intake I could also,cooler charge = more power. good luck what kind of shroud do you have?
Im going to be making some carbon fibre cylinder head tins for mine,already made some prelimenary glass ones,came out grr8,just need to make 2 plugs that will be interchangable for different intakes,(sf&big beef) so the covers will fit perfectly with thier intended intake's.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there are a few areas i am considering adding the fins. I have considered lower fins with pushrod tube hole cut as well but not sure I need to go that far. I also have an idea for finned valve covers since I will be running rocker arm spray bars and can loose a little heat up there as well.
I am currently modifying an industrial shroud for 37mm fan.
It has no doghouse or fresh air.
Also, I am considering running manual cable operated flaps just for warm up and directional purposes but don't really care to run the thermostat and extra sheetmetal in a buggy.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen pics of adding a fin on the cylinder side on type-4 heads.

If you use a larger fan, you may need two belts or larger pulleys to drive it. Seems to me the doghouse fan is pushing the limits of one belt as it is
I think it is better to use a smaller fan and turn it faster, at cruising speeds it will act the same and the belt will just slip more when you rev it high.
Or you could go the other way too, just keep in mind that you want cooling at cruise speeds more than anything else for street use
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Cooling Fins to Aftermarket Heads Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
I have been designing a way to add additional cooling fins to Aftermarket Competition Eliminator heads and am wondering if anyone else has come up with anything like this. This procedure would obviously make the aftermarket heads much more streetable

Yes, JPM has done something similar already. I have a set of their MS230 heads and they run very cool on the street and also rip at the track. They have 10 cooling fins and they've also removed the fins on the exhaust ports, which helps cool the heads. These use CE/SF manifolds and flow 230 cfm out of the box with 0.550" lift and 240 cfm with 0.630" lift. They can also be ported further. It's not uncommon for the Scandinavian racers to drive several hundred kilometres in their race Beetle's, throw on some slicks to race, then drive back home again. http://www.jpmotorsport.se/e_default.htm
Here's a couple of photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil thanks for the link and pics. That is basically what I am trying to accomplish except mine are Add-On's and those look cast in.
Also they have 9 fins which is 3 more than CE and S/F heads.
I know I can install 2 fins with a spacers between. Three could be done on special applications as well. If that equates to an actual 30% improvement in cooling that would be worth the effors/cost.
Seems to me though you would want some cooling on the exhaust port runners though.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice heads nice chambers,I wouls still add more to the bottom of the head,and make sure air is forced through them.
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this blog out

http://waynesexperiments.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html

70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: JPM heads Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
Neil thanks for the link and pics. That is basically what I am trying to accomplish except mine are Add-On's and those look cast in.
Also they have 9 fins which is 3 more than CE and S/F heads.
I know I can install 2 fins with a spacers between. Three could be done on special applications as well. If that equates to an actual 30% improvement in cooling that would be worth the effors/cost.
Seems to me though you would want some cooling on the exhaust port runners though.

FYI: This latest version of JPM heads now has 10 fins...the 2005 version had nine. The JPM head is cast aluminum, but then the fins are "machined" or sliced into the usual fin area...more expensive of course to do this work...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...and they've also removed the fins on the exhaust ports, which helps cool the heads."

Neil- Could you explain? Sounds counterintuitive to me.

PS- Won't be seeing you GCVW show weekend; have a wedding to go to.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious electronic heat sinks... Been there, done that.. Work like a champ, hold them in place with some 10/32 screws.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: exhaust fins Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
"...and they've also removed the fins on the exhaust ports, which helps cool the heads."

Neil- Could you explain? Sounds counterintuitive to me.

PS- Won't be seeing you GCVW show weekend; have a wedding to go to.

Hi Al,

The exhaust fins were deleted, because JPM says the purpose should be to get rid of the heat via the exhaust gases, not transfer heat to the head.

His head is also set up for future 4-bolt headers, if need be (for hi output drag or track racing). I don't have a picture of the top and side fins, but they are very deep and go around the sides of the head nicely. I'm running 10.6:1 CR with 91 octane in my 2332 cc, going to 11.2:1 CR on JPM's recommendation.

Sorry that you can't make GCVW weekend this year; have fun at the wedding!!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Serious electronic heat sinks... Been there, done that.. Work like a champ, hold them in place with some 10/32 screws.

Huh? Confused

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buellistic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:

That sounds like a neat idea actually. I had a videocard that had such a nice heat sink that it could cool passively. It didn't even need a fan.

Maybe you could elaborate on how and where to attach heat sinks?
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget the fins on the underside of the head, they can cool too.
I started using these fins on my SF heads for cooling with great sucess, this also helped keep the pressure in my shroud up, by plugging the huge hole between my intake castings and redirecting it over the bottom fins.

still 10 fins are better than 5
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

Huh? Confused

What, something you haven't thought of? Used them on billet heads exclusively. Source them from junk electronic sites... Then become creative.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you being serious? i've always thought to do that, but figured it would be one of those things that seems like it would work but doesn't (like routing the fan shroud oulets to the carb for a ghetto turbo).

how would this work as far as tins go, and the existing fins? mill the old fins off? any pics?
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
Rohrheim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but wouldn't it be easier, less expensive and more efficient cooling to mount 2 remote, 4 inch boxer fans and route some flexible duct and plenums?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: