Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Salem to San Diego in a 1962 Ghia Reply with quote

So here goes......in a little over a week I will be driving solo from Salem, Oregon to San Diego in a 1962 Karmann Ghia coupe that I bought from Mike Gregory at House of Ghia. It is in the final stages of its repair work at House of Ghia as I type. I fly to Oregon on the morning of Friday August 19th and will head out on my 1100+ mile return probably on Sunday the 21st.

Due to having a budget, the work I am having done is no where near a full restoration. Appearance wise it will be on the order of being a ”10 footer", and while a beautiful show room shine would be nice, this way I won’t be as worried about the occasional inevitable shopping cart ding. So my focus through this project has been on functionality as I intend the car to be a daily driver as opposed to show winner. I’ve seen it said on here “Cheap, Fast, Reliable, pick two”. My picks are “Cheap & Reliable”.
I am having the 1200 motor (not OG to the car) spruced up with new 83mm pistons & cylinders, new bearings, and freshened up rockers. I also had Mike convert it to 12 volts, and we upgraded to front disc brakes and a 2.5" drop and a 4” narrowed beam along with new tires (tyres some on here say) all around.

At the end of this post I will have a link to a map of my route, which I need to qualify as a “proposed” route”. If someone familiar with the areas along the way has a suggestion as to a route to use or avoid, I'm all ears, but over all I intend to be back in San Diego by around Thursday the 25th. I intend to take a few days and see a few sights and scope out photo opportunities on the way home. I've never done the California coast trek and I plan to take a lot of pictures and share. I don't as of this moment know my final complement of high tech items that I will have along with me (GPS/Laptop, etc) but I intend that I will have some sort of internet access. Of course I will have my personal cell phone and a decent amount of tools.

I guess a little background on me might be appropriate here. My name is Phil, and my Ghia does not have a name…yet – I’ve never done that, so we’ll see. I'm sort of an ACVW newbie. I DID once have what I ALWAYS in the ensuing years referred to as the "best car I have ever owned" in a 1964 VW metal sun roof Bug with a stock 1200 motor. I bought it off a high school friend of mine in Erie, Pa in 1974 who got it for a graduation present the year before from an uncle in California. It had 40,000 OG miles on it when I got it and a "far out paint job" that our mutual friends who already knew and loved the car would NOT allow me to change. It was pretty well rust free and I paid 250.00 for it cash. This car did EVERYthing and went everywhere, through the ice, mud & snow, interstates, back roads, in rain cold and a few months of summer every year until it finally met it's maker in a freak late spring 1977 snow storm slow speed t-bone collision on my driver's door. So here I am 35 years later and I've gotten the urge to enjoy all the ACVW can offer again. In fact I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to this! More to come!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214388905435716321725.0004a9fd5dbe4432e626d&msa=0
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good trip! My advice: take the 199 from Grants Pass OR to Crescent City CA, and enjoy the 101 south from there. Way more interesting than the NorCal I-5...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_hamilton wrote:
Good trip! My advice: take the 199 from Grants Pass OR to Crescent City CA, and enjoy the 101 south from there. Way more interesting than the NorCal I-5...

Thanks! My brother just emailed me and said the same thing! Very Happy
Initially I was going to meet someone in Redding, but I am not anymore and I never changed the route.
I'll repost an "updated" link later today probably.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! If you're going to start in Salem by all means head west and drive down the Oregon coast, spectacular & breathtaking views, clean beaches! (the water is a little colder than you're used to in SD!)
There's also some fun twisty roads that will make the drive in your new KG really exciting!
That stretch of I-5 south of Salem is dull dull dull till you hit Southern Oregon.
Plus there are some excellent wineries around the Salem area as you head to the coast!

The Oregon coast is really something that shouldn't be missed.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see by your map that you'll be passing thru Santa Cruz on your way south. That's where I hang my hat, so if the Ghia's in need of a repair or an adjustment (hopefully not) or you just want to meet for a beer or a bite to eat, let me know. If you plan on staying overnight in town, I can recommend a few good motels. There's lots to do & see in the area if time permits...great beaches, giant Redwoods and a boardwalk with all the usual rides and attractions along with a vibrant music scene in the local clubs. Too bad you're not leaving a few days earlier. From Aug 15th thru the 21st, the Monterey/Carmel area hosts a week-long series of world-class classic car events that include shows, auctions, exhibits, vintage racing at Laguna Seca and wraps up with the Pebble Beach Concours d' Elegance on Sunday.

If I can make a suggestion about your route, you might consider picking up route 20 west off Interstate 5 at Williams, CA and then head south on Route 29 toward the Napa Valley. At Callistoga, you can cut over to the Silverado Trail and head south thru the valley on that if the summer tourist traffic is too heavy on 29. South of the town of Napa, work your way over to Highway 101 on Routes 12, 121 & 37 and come into San Francisco thru Marin County and across the Golden Gate Bridge. Then take 19th Avenue thru the city and pick up Highway 1 to head south. This route will take more time but will take you thru some beautiful country on some really great roads.

Sounds like a great adventure awaits...be safe and enjoy the drive.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I’ve seen it said on here “Cheap, Fast, Reliable, pick two”. My picks are “Cheap & Reliable”. "
Too funny! Good luck on the trip, sounds like fun. Good idea to avoid I-5, long, straight, boring, and hot, pick any 3.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: if you need help Reply with quote

If you come thru Napa on 29 and need a tune up, or a fixing of any type feel free to give a shout, if I can assist I will. If you want to eat some good BBQ on your way into the wine valley, stop in Calistoga on 29 @ Busters BBQ. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT IN THE LEAST, (unless your a vegan).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
"I’ve seen it said on here “Cheap, Fast, Reliable, pick two”. My picks are “Cheap & Reliable”. "
Too funny! Good luck on the trip, sounds like fun. Good idea to avoid I-5, long, straight, boring, and hot, pick any 3.

Touche! About 6 years ago I did come down from Reno on the 5 through the middle of the state, and agree - ANY of the three sum it up! Thanks for the support!
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: if you need help Reply with quote

ScottDoonan wrote:
If you come thru Napa on 29 and need a tune up, or a fixing of any type feel free to give a shout, if I can assist I will. If you want to eat some good BBQ on your way into the wine valley, stop in Calistoga on 29 @ Busters BBQ. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT IN THE LEAST, (unless your a vegan).

Hi Scott, and thanks for the back up! It is re-assuring to think I can have and get help that far from home. In the trying to be responsible vein, besides being a AAA Member, I will have a standard selection of tools, but I cannot find anywhere I've looked the "metric screwdriver" Mike told me to get. Guess I will have to hope that need doesn't come up. All kidding aside - it was suggested with the engine freshly re-built that I adjust the valves basically the morning following my first day's run of 3 or 4 hundred miles. I've never adjusted the valves on an ACVW before, but I've done my home work and Mike will give me the tutorial at HOG over the weekend and I'll have fresh valve cover gaskets and wheel bearing grease at the ready. I doubt I'll set any speed records doing it, but do it I will. Lord knows just about anything can or could come up before or after that, so really thanks!
As far as the BBQ goes, I ought to add it onto my map and pace my meals to make sure I am good & hungry when I am there. Not a vegan, but I'd probably find a "kill your own pig" place to be a little over the top, so as long as that is NOT the case here, I'm good......
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: if you need help Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:
Not a vegan, but I'd probably find a "kill your own pig" place to be a little over the top, so as long as that is NOT the case here, I'm good......

Hmmm so that rules out the "Slaughters" chain of BBQ restaurants Phil. Sad

With the "metric screwdriver" you could probably get away with just having your right wrist recalibrated at a local ciropractor. Wink
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
walkerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run into problems around Oxnard, I can name the best VW mechanic for miles around.
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Enjoy the ride Reply with quote

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jem8ynMBXKVOFYc0c1009Q?select=1HEsptzAu2H54fHNSRcDbw

Please give me a heads up when you are going to be in this neck of the woods. Enjoy your trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Good idea to avoid I-5, long, straight, boring, and hot, pick any 3.

IMO, the worst aspect of I-5 through CA, and there are many bad ones, is the average speed of traffic, which is around 70-75 mph. It was never much of an issue when I had a 1776 and 4.125 ring and pinion in my former 69 ghia coupe or with my current 66 ghia convertible with a 3.875 ring and pinion and a 2110. However, when I bought my '66 convertible in Santa Barbara and had to drive it 400 miles north to Sacramento, it was bone stock w/ a 1300 and 4.375 ring and pinion. I drove it to San Luis Obispo and then cut over to I-5 on SR 41 and SR 46. Once I hit I-5, it became readily apparent that traffic was moving at close to my top speed. It was a frustrating exercise driving at 65-70 mph in the slow lane and having semis going around me. I suspect that it would be a similar experience for the OP w/ 1385 cc (big bore 1200) and likely the same 4.375 ring and pinion as I had in my '66.
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoy the ride Reply with quote

ScottDoonan wrote:
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jem8ynMBXKVOFYc0c1009Q?select=1HEsptzAu2H54fHNSRcDbw

Please give me a heads up when you are going to be in this neck of the woods. Enjoy your trip.

Will do! Sure....show me those BBQ pics when I have not yet had dinner!! I'm going to map that out!
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

IMO, the worst aspect of I-5 through CA, and there are many bad ones, is the average speed of traffic, which is around 70-75 mph. It was never much of an issue when I had a 1776 and 4.125 ring and pinion in my former 69 ghia coupe or with my current 66 ghia convertible with a 3.875 ring and pinion and a 2110. However, when I bought my '66 convertible in Santa Barbara and had to drive it 400 miles north to Sacramento, it was bone stock w/ a 1300 and 4.375 ring and pinion. I drove it to San Luis Obispo and then cut over to I-5 on SR 41 and SR 46. Once I hit I-5, it became readily apparent that traffic was moving at close to my top speed. It was a frustrating exercise driving at 65-70 mph in the slow lane and having semis going around me. I suspect that it would be a similar experience for the OP w/ 1385 cc (big bore 1200) and likely the same 4.375 ring and pinion as I had in my '66.

I can fully appreciate what you are saying. Not positive how I will manage the LA portion of my trip quite yet, but as I do have a friend in Santa Barbara where I can stop and perhaps stagger my time to enter in the wee hours and then cruse LA fairly unmolested. It's not even (to me) how well I think I can drive & negotiate the traffic, it's other ppl noticing ME! After I get back here to SD I want to put in the 3rd brake light in the air intakes as a minimal safety tactic.
Of course when I began this (current '62 Ghia) adventure I had my sights on a much bigger faster motor, but had to scale it back at least for the time being. I am at least familiar with the route (and potential traffic) from Oxnard to SD, and I have a couple friends in the LA basin where I can stop and let traffic not be my biggest issue while catch up and I show off my new Ghia to them! So I hope it works out. Thanks for the heads up, and I'll stay in touch!
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Enjoy the ride Reply with quote

ScottDoonan wrote:

Will do Scott!
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philermonic wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

I can fully appreciate what you are saying. Not positive how I will manage the LA portion of my trip quite yet, but as I do have a friend in Santa Barbara where I can stop and perhaps stagger my time to enter in the wee hours and then cruse LA fairly unmolested. It's not even (to me) how well I think I can drive & negotiate the traffic, it's other ppl noticing ME! After I get back here to SD I want to put in the 3rd brake light in the air intakes as a minimal safety tactic.
Of course when I began this (current '62 Ghia) adventure I had my sights on a much bigger faster motor, but had to scale it back at least for the time being. I am at least familiar with the route (and potential traffic) from Oxnard to SD, and I have a couple friends in the LA basin where I can stop and let traffic not be my biggest issue while catch up and I show off my new Ghia to them! So I hope it works out. Thanks for the heads up, and I'll stay in touch!

Oxnard to San Diego? PCH!
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
philermonic wrote:
sactojesse wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

Oxnard to San Diego? PCH!

Noted!
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it’s been a few days since my last post….so let’s see what is new here. OH! That’s right!! I have a really cool 1962 Karmann Ghia Coupe!! (imagine right here Rodger Daltry’s scream in “Wont Be Fooled Again” there) YeeeeeaaAAAAAAaaaaHHHHHH!!!!!!

To catch y’all up, I arrived (flew) into Portland Oregon from San Diego Friday early afternoon and went to see Mike Gregory at House of Ghia straight away where we did some final prepping of my Ghia at Mikes shop “House of Ghia”. This continued Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, and as I type right now @ 11 PM (Saturday August 20, 2011) I am about 75 miles south of Salem in Eugene Oregon at a Hotel. Anyone who thinks I “only” went 75 miles today because of a mechanical issue, go stand in the corner right now.

Before I go any further, I have to stop and pass out some acknowledgements to people that are instrumental in my having this particular car and having this blog to write at all. First and foremost, Mike @ HoG. Thank You Mike! Your warmth and hospitality were beyond the call the past 2 days. Mike & I “met” about 10 months ago on the phone discussing this car and though never before this past Friday even being in the same room together and long story short (I’ll fill in stuff later on) today I have a pretty kick ass car parked in the lot in Eugene Oregon outside my hotel room right now. Thanks for making the weekend fun too!!

Also really have to give major kudos to Mikes motor guy Derek (Wagen Werks). I tried to keep her under 70 today Derek…a couple of times on the way down here she wanted to run tho. Derek also walked me through my first ever ACVW valve adjustment early this afternoon, and Monday morning after a few hundred miles are on the car I will be doing that by myself before I hit the highway again. While he was showing me how to do the valves I mentioned that I was going to put cardboard under her where I park at home so I can monitor oil leaks, and he says “it’s not going to leak oil” – I love it! I always thought if a VW didn’t leak oil you had to wonder if it had any oil in it. Thank you Derek!! Really enjoyed meeting you Friday and hanging out the last day & a half @ HoG!

Oh, yeah Derek go ahead and post some pics of your build of my motor to this thread and any pics you took today at the shop…..the laptop I have wont read the SD memory card from my camera and I might not be able to post any pictures I took on here till I get back to San Diego.

Well, about time for me to hit it for the night -“ got places to go important people to meet, better not get up or you might lose your seat……” Burton Cummings
…………more to come……….
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a lot of fun Phil. Very Happy

Make sure you relocate those rocker covers properly when you've done the valve adjustment...move them side to side, up and down a little before you put those wire clips back on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: