Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

51 Barndoor basket case
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ben, thanks I'm fine, hope you're good too.

I have been aware of it now for 1+ year but your details and additional pics show that the bus is a textbook case of a monster resto. Ohhra! Oohra! oohraah! I agree with you on the measures since we have checked and all are according to the VW specs. Not an easy task given that the german engineers had much more powerful tools to ensure the exact position of each part as seen in the pic below.

Aaaaaand, it will be preserved, it will keep its "tatty" look, unmolested, even though I have heard a 1000 times "ohhhhhh! how nice....... and when are you going to paint it??" Rolling Eyes
what! no way in the hills! and don't roll your eye at me, Mr!
yeah, it's ok, I don't snap any longer, I understand there is only one brain per capita...

As you well say, it has been very well used and abused, as we speak, for many moons, year round (on dry weather) and it likes it. Used so to the point that the drivers door now requires a sterner and long term solution Embarassed . I have a thread in TS looking for a bd drivers door. No success in my search yet. Alternatively the existing door will be repaired, only parts of the frame are a little 'tired' so probably I will buy a frame from Gerson and use parts of it when production of drivers door frames starts some time under 2015, I've been told. But of course a correct drivers door (or the frame) would be best!

Thanks for the memories and the good old pics and happy 2015!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1965* 21W Samba (MCode 430 114) - 51 BD Standard Microbus (Type 22A. M62) - 1967 Westfalia pop-top (SOLD)
* 1965 according to chassie number but regged as 1964
Franz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busben wrote:
Definitely a big leap from where we started!

Nice job. Good on you to see it to the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2Pack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible job. Thanks for posting.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all happy new year!! Holy shit on this update! Looks awesome!! Keep it up,getting closer!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, glad you like the update. I really should have posted these ages ago Embarassed

So anyway, back to the bus. Sadly I'd had to sell my old '54 Standard to raise some cash:

As well as being pretty gutted about losing the '54, I now had no bus to take to Hessich and so the stops had to be pulled out on this one to get it finished in time! The final welding was completed......... dog legs, cab floor, rear hanger, rear corners, etc ............ and we threw some base paint on the new metal and sealed and painted the underside. I also managed to score some cab doors off an old '52 with paint and patina that seemed to match the bus really well ............... lucky me!
I wanted the bus low but driveable so out back a Ghia box was mated to a tidy and reliable 1600TP engine with Creative adjustable spring plates. Up front the original BD beam was kept and adjusters were welded in. A set of 55-63 drop spindles and drums were bolted up to keep things comfy and a lot of time was spent playing with the steering gear to keep it from fouling whilst running so low.

busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things were going pretty well by now and the other nutters trying to build barndoors for the trip were keeping me inspired. Lots of late night texts and phone calls between me, Dai and Matt saw the '51, '50 and windy window bus all looking like they'd be finished in time. I was in the final stages and managed to get the new paint blended in, the final fit up completed even bolting in some correct 50-51 pop outs that I'd put aside years ago "just in case" Cool ,and even built an interior to keep me and my lady wife comfortable on the trip Very Happy

busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick test drive or two later and a few final things sorted and the bus seemed to be ready to go. Good job really as I stopped tinkering and shut the garage door in the early hours of the morning of the drive to Dover for the ferry. Mind you Dai was still sourcing parts and rebuilding his brakes in the morning when we were supposed to be on the road. Last minute bus building for sure!

bus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice updates, I guess Ben was the right guy to give this bus a new life. As far as the wife goes who agreed to sell it on my behalf, she's now an ex wife. Smile)
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we arrived in Dover late that night and managed a few hours kip before the early morning ferry and the meet up with the rest of the guys & girls. There's a Hessich thread elsewhere so I won't bore you with all the details but suffice to say it was an amazing first trip in the '51! Unfortunately it wasn't without its issues and a spun drum saw the '51 arrive in Germany on the back of a trailer .......... massive thanks again to Bob, Pascal & the BBT crew for being so helpful in bringing the bus down while I drank beer in the back of my mates kombi Very Happy Next time I will check my castle nuts myself and not trust that they've been done right Embarassed

All was not lost though and somehow we sourced some NOS late bug drums in amongst the rare and collectable trade stalls and the '51 was rolling again

and then on to a wet and muddy EBI before heading back home

busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bus guy wrote:
Nice updates, I guess Ben was the right guy to give this bus a new life. As far as the wife goes who agreed to sell it on my behalf, she's now an ex wife. Smile)

Thanks Mark. One nice thing on the trip was that I befriended a bunch of great Swedish guys who I have since visited and they sent me a photo of the bus when it was found in the forest. It had been dumped after an accident years ago and then chopped about for various spares. They decided it was too far gone to save and dragged it home as a spares bus. It was a good job you found it when you did to be honest so fair play for the effort in bringing it home dude!

Of course this bus is now sold and currently back in Sweden and owned by Claes as per his previous post. I'm really happy that he seems to be enjoying it so much so it looks like it found another good home Very Happy When he bought it I assumed he'd bring a trailer to collect it, or at the very least head home via ferry to Norway, but no - he was planning to drive it home through Europe Shocked Now I'd put quite a few miles on the '51 since Hessich / EBI and I knew the bus worked well but you still worry when the buyer is proposing to drive his new purchase roughly 1300 miles through England, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Sweden at the start of winter!! Of course I had nothing to worry about and the bus made it fine but well done Claes for a hardcore trip home!!! Very Happy
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspirational stuff!

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spit nolan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Ben, what an amazing update!
Demian_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice update!!

But you should have done this update about two years ago, before your trip to Hessisch. It was so hard to belive it was the same bus without seeing any pictures from the restoration Smile
luftgekuhlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again Ben for nice pics and story.

the trip back to Sweden went perfectly, 90-95 km/h according to my gps with one well deserved 9 hour stop to sleep. Started saturday just after noon at your place and late sunday evening the bus arrived in Sweden safe and sound.

It goes without saying that the thumbs-up, hang-looses, wavings and smiles from other cars along the way were not few. Super expensive porsches with ladies in super expensive furs, or hard-core hells-angels-alike bikers, this bus makes everybody happy their eyes welling up with tears, that's for sure. Even cars driving for miles behind me and be sure I was driving much slower than the average traffic. I have been down to the continent with my 1964 21W but this was totally different unlike anything I have ever seen. Had I received a couple of euros for each thumbs up had the trip been almost for free! The level of the reactions never ceases to amaze me until today. Here in scandinavia, same song, second verse.

Also I was well equipped with tools and even a jack in my suitcase when I flew to Bristol to pick it up, in case a mechanical "division by zero" occurred or I was stopped by thugs with badges pulling some bs regarding the bus not exactly a desired outcome. Nothing of that happened.

Soooo, even if the trip wasn't for the faint at heart it runned cherry. Thanks for your reference to a supposed testicular fortitude on my side but I believe the kudos must go to the bus... Cool

Glad for the pics, throw more if you have.

1965* 21W Samba (MCode 430 114) - 51 BD Standard Microbus (Type 22A. M62) - 1967 Westfalia pop-top (SOLD)
* 1965 according to chassie number but regged as 1964
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luftgekuhlt wrote:
Thanks for your reference to a supposed testicular fortitude on my side but I believe the kudos must go to the bus... Cool

Glad for the pics, throw more if you have.

Laughing Perfect! Did you ever get the bunch of emails about a year ago with loads of resto pics and info? That's about all I have to be honest - I'm usually a bit rubbish at taking photos Embarassed If not I can send them again dude - just shoot me an email Wink
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demian_S wrote:
Nice update!!

But you should have done this update about two years ago, before your trip to Hessisch. It was so hard to belive it was the same bus without seeing any pictures from the restoration Smile

haha Laughing I'll be better with the next one I promise! Watch this space Wink
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ja, Ben Exclamation
serious story, ya all nuts ! Laughing great resto pics and coooool seaside pics from Sweden. Saving this bus is close to a miracle.
So where is your new toy Ben, we wonna know Wink

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Ja, Ben Exclamation
serious story, ya all nuts ! Laughing great resto pics and coooool seaside pics from Sweden. Saving this bus is close to a miracle.
So where is your new toy Ben, we wonna know Wink

Looks like it's out there G:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463139

Updates soon dude Wink
Pepillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome bus, on the roads again. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through this unreal
amazing work on saving another
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: