Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks. My bus didn't come with one and i'm going to be installing on as soon as the order gets here so I was asking for help before jumping into it. Thanks again.

"Growing older, but not up!"
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
kerian159 wrote:
Anybody have instructions on how to install a glove box in a late bay window?

There is a single bolt holding a strap in place. Look up under the glove box from the passenger side floor, you will see the band. The bold is under the glove box. remove it, then run your hand up the strap, it has a "hook" on the top side that you can easily remove with just one hand. Tilt the glove box down, and voila!
Reinstall in reverse.

excellent.

does anybody know what size the bolt is? I'm on the zip-tie system right now on the glove box but I'd like the right bolt or screw. Is it the same screw as say, the sun visor mount? If it were to match a screw or bolt in the front cab area that'd be tight. lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

No worries, it is super easy. There isn't much that holds it in place.
I would suggest getting a good original cardboard one.
I didn't like the fitment of the ABS plastic ones - and have heard people complain that they are noisy when things slide around inside them.
You can get a good used original for cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
obnoxiousblue wrote:
kerian159 wrote:
Anybody have instructions on how to install a glove box in a late bay window?

There is a single bolt holding a strap in place. Look up under the glove box from the passenger side floor, you will see the band. The bold is under the glove box. remove it, then run your hand up the strap, it has a "hook" on the top side that you can easily remove with just one hand. Tilt the glove box down, and voila!
Reinstall in reverse.

excellent.

does anybody know what size the bolt is? I'm on the zip-tie system right now on the glove box but I'd like the right bolt or screw. Is it the same screw as say, the sun visor mount? If it were to match a screw or bolt in the front cab area that'd be tight. lol

I could not locate the size, but its seems like you will need a longer one.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6243144#6243144

These are what they look like.
http://www.bus-ok.de/This-is-a-OEM-retaining-strap...azilian-T2
http://www.justkampers.com/glove-box-liner-strap-screw-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979.html

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It is just a fairly long 6M bolt IIRC, should be available at any decent hardware store.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Is it even a bolt?, I seem to recall a sheet metal screw.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks TC, WT, & BD. Very Happy
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I think you are right. Wink
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
I think you are right. Wink

Yes acually. It is. Just checked my bus...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lolight70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Low light turn signal (indicator) lens question
Are they the same left and right ?
Are repros universal fit ?
Thanx
MaritimeBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Real dumb/simple question here. I installed new rear wheel cylinders on my 77 bus - all simple no problems. I adjusted the stars till it dragged and then backed off a couple clicks, but when I'd go and stomp on the brakes and then get back under to check (obsessively rechecking my work), it would take way more than 1-2 clicks to get to the 'just-dragging' again. Does it sound like I'm doing it right?

They call my home the land of snow.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

lolight70 wrote:
Low light turn signal (indicator) lens question
Are they the same left and right ?
Are repros universal fit ?
Thanx

There is a left and right.

http://www.justkampers.com/amber-front-indicator-bundle-kit-vw-t2-bay-1967-1972.html

https://www.vwheritage.com/search/?act=search.sear...btnSearch=
https://www.vwheritage.com/search/?act=search.sear...btnSearch=

Good luck
Tcash
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

MaritimeBay wrote:
Real dumb/simple question here. I installed new rear wheel cylinders on my 77 bus - all simple no problems. I adjusted the stars till it dragged and then backed off a couple clicks, but when I'd go and stomp on the brakes and then get back under to check (obsessively rechecking my work), it would take way more than 1-2 clicks to get to the 'just-dragging' again. Does it sound like I'm doing it right?

Adjust the stars up tight, followed by forcing the wheels to turn a bit in both directions and then pumping the brake pedal hard several times to center the shoes, now back the stars off. It is okay to leave a little bit of light drag, but do check the hubs for excess heat after the first 10 miles or so of driving.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi
Should not be hard to turn.
You may need to loosen the E-Brake cables and re-adjust.
Then adjust your E-Brake.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
tabney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Here's my dumb question:
My 73 transporter has several gaping holes due to rust on the floor both front and back. Someday, I want to do proper repair, but that day is a year or more away. In the meantime, I can either clean up the rust and A: fiberglass the holes or B: use sheet metal screws, old license plates and some sealant to cover the holes and prevent further damage until I get around to a proper fix. What say you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What is a safe way to plug a fuel line? Stick a screw in the end? Some other kind of plug with clamp?

I am removing my BN4 heater to attempt to repair it and I need to cut the old fuel line and stop it off. It'll be temporary but I'd like to ensure it is safe since I'll be doing the odd short trip this summer.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

stwesty wrote:
What is a safe way to plug a fuel line? Stick a screw in the end? Some other kind of plug with clamp?

I am removing my BN4 heater to attempt to repair it and I need to cut the old fuel line and stop it off. It'll be temporary but I'd like to ensure it is safe since I'll be doing the odd short trip this summer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-line-clamp-set-97578.html

Or a pair of small vise grips to pinch the hose.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Or stick a bolt in it and clamp it with a hose clamp. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tabney wrote:
Here's my dumb question:
My 73 transporter has several gaping holes due to rust on the floor both front and back. Someday, I want to do proper repair, but that day is a year or more away. In the meantime, I can either clean up the rust and A: fiberglass the holes or B: use sheet metal screws, old license plates and some sealant to cover the holes and prevent further damage until I get around to a proper fix. What say you?

Its your rig, do whatever works for you. A bit of tin and some RTV silicone or other goop is about as easy as it comes. I frequently cut non structural patches out of old antifreeze jugs, some have lasted for decades. The lids off of large diameter tin cans make good patching material as well.
Himejii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Aux battery wire gauge Reply with quote

I'm repairing the PO's disconnection of the aux battery relay. Assuming the relay tests out, I'll need to replace the wire from the relay to the primary battery. I know that 10ga or 12ga is recommended but can I get away with 14ga and what are the risks?

I'm primarily concerned about fire hazard. If it takes a little longer to charge, I'm ok with that. It's just that I already have 14ga wire and spade terminals, and would prefer not to buy something if I don't have to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 280, 281, 282 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 281 of 515

Jump to: