Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 273, 274, 275 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

tymbo wrote:
stonecat wrote:
Stupid question, but it's not in the manual. What is the silver hole in the dashboard on my 78 camper? The one below the glovebox knob.

This is a "hella" type plug that was used for the 12v air pump for the spare tire. They sale adapters on eBay to a standard 12v plug for less than $20 shipped.

I thought that was for the map light?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stonecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks! I just ordered a dual USB charger conversion kit for $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301280895815?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

tymbo wrote:
stonecat wrote:
Stupid question, but it's not in the manual. What is the silver hole in the dashboard on my 78 camper? The one below the glovebox knob.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a "hella" type plug that was used for the 12v air pump for the spare tire. They sale adapters on eBay to a standard 12v plug for less than $20 shipped.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Silver socket discussions: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A couple of the header bolts that hold my heat exchangers on keep slowly backing off and causing exhaust leaks. To stop this, can I just put another nut on the header bolts? Or could that get me into trouble later...

I'm using the correct copper lock nuts, and am and using the correct torque settings. Once I tighten them up I have a very nice, quiet exhaust, as I spent a bunch of time fixing/sealing everything, so it's really frustrating.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
A couple of the header bolts that hold my heat exchangers on keep slowly backing off and causing exhaust leaks. To stop this, can I just put another nut on the header bolts? Or could that get me into trouble later...

I'm using the correct copper lock nuts, and am and using the correct torque settings. Once I tighten them up I have a very nice, quiet exhaust, as I spent a bunch of time fixing/sealing everything, so it's really frustrating.

It may take a few heat cycles. But once everything settles in they should stay tight.
Tcash
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

It may take a few heat cycles. But once everything settles in they should stay tight.
Tcash

It's been a year since I redid my exhaust. I have to tighten it every couple weeks, or after a couple hours on the highway (once it cools down of course). Evil or Very Mad
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am installing new tires here in the next few days on my bus and I thought getting the bus aligned would be a grand idea. To date I have replaced the drag links, both tie rod ends, steering box, and the front and rear shocks? Is there anything that I didn't replace yet that in the future if I do replace would throw off the alignment?

I know the ball joints are on the list for good measure but that isnt for a while. I am not exactly sure how much more complex the rear end is either.

Essentially, I don't want to end up paying for an alignment twice if I don't need to.

From what I understand our buses don't have camber adjustments, just toe and that is adjusted via the one adjustable tie rod end. Is there anything else?

I have no reason to think the ball joints are bad other than the boots being broken.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:

From what I understand our buses don't have camber adjustments, just toe and that is adjusted via the one adjustable tie rod end. Is there anything else?

I have no reason to think the ball joints are bad other than the boots being broken.

There are eccentrics on the upper ball joints that affect both the caster and camber. The book gives specs for setting the camber but the more you turn the eccentrics to try and bring the camber in the less caster you will have. A lot of time even at maximum adjustment you can not get the camber on one side to be within specs. Crying or Very sad

My way of aligning the front is to always have the mark on the eccentric pointing within 45° of forward while getting the camber the same on both sides even if neither side is then within spec. This will allow the bus to track straight and steering to return to center as well as possible.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Tcash

It's been a year since I redid my exhaust. I have to tighten it every couple weeks, or after a couple hours on the highway (once it cools down of course). Evil or Very Mad

That sucks.
Try these.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Copper-Exhaust-...56297.html
GD
Tcash
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Thrasher22 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Tcash

That sucks.
Try these.
GD
Tcash

Those are actually what I'm using Sad picked them up from a VW dealership
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
... can I just put another nut on the header bolts? Or could that get me into trouble later ...

I would double nut or use lock washers or use a bit of locktite.

You might try a set of these copper locking nuts:
https://www.belmetric.com/hex-with-flange-c-3_51_53/

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Thrasher22 wrote:
... can I just put another nut on the header bolts? Or could that get me into trouble later ...

Aloha
tp

Already using copper locking nuts, so I'm surprised they aren't holding. Might try loctite, I wasn't sure if that would get me into trouble one day trying to take them off if it turns to carbon.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
I am installing new tires here in the next few days on my bus and I thought getting the bus aligned would be a grand idea. To date I have replaced the drag links, both tie rod ends, steering box, and the front and rear shocks? Is there anything that I didn't replace yet that in the future if I do replace would throw off the alignment?

I know the ball joints are on the list for good measure but that isnt for a while. I am not exactly sure how much more complex the rear end is either.

Essentially, I don't want to end up paying for an alignment twice if I don't need to.

On top of what Wildthings already added-

The center bushing/pin will effect your alignment. How's yours? Did you roughly set the toe in/out after you changed the tie rods? Badly worn ball joints will not allow a bus to hold an alignment either. If it was me, I'd wait until I changed the ball joints and center pin before getting the front aligned. I'd simply set the toe in/out in your drive way. The toe causes the most dramatic tire wear when it's off.

On the rear, you have the torsion bar bushings. If you haven't changed them, they need to be changed. You can mark the spring plates before disassembling it to hold the alignment. I'd still have it checked after changing the bushing though.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Tcash

Did you use SS hardware? If so it is notorious for working its way loose, at least until it galls and you can't get them loose anymore.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Thrasher22 wrote:

Aloha
tp

Already using copper locking nuts, so I'm surprised they aren't holding. Might try loctite, I wasn't sure if that would get me into trouble one day trying to take them off if it turns to carbon.

Locktite would be a last resort. Lock washers would be my first choice. Did you note the dimples on the Belmetric lock nuts? I don't think you'll see those on the lock nuts you are using.

Aloha
tp
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

Locktite would be a last resort. Lock washers would be my first choice. Did you note the dimples on the Belmetric lock nuts? I don't think you'll see those on the lock nuts you are using.

Aloha
tp

I didn't, good point! Mine were just pinched into a slight oval shape. I'll see if I can find any around town. I'm going to my first vw show on sunday and am hoping to quiet it down by then.

Wildthings wrote:

Did you use SS hardware? If so it is notorious for working its way loose, at least until it galls and you can't get them loose anymore.

Nope, the good copper locking nuts...
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Thrasher22 wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Tcash

That sucks.
Try these.
GD
Tcash

Those are actually what I'm using Sad picked them up from a VW dealership

Loctite is not a good idea. Red is the only one that would work and you would pull the studs trying to remove the nuts.

Keep a close eye on the studs and make sure they are not pulling out of the head.

Good luck
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Keep a close eye on the studs and make sure they are not pulling out of the head.

Good point, why are you the only one having this issue?

Here's another serious high temp locknut option: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MJET , Flexloc nuts also come in a high temp metric thread, not sure where to buy those in small quantities though. Option C is a Honda dealer, they use a high nickle content exhaust nut that holds up very well and rarely comes loose.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Good point, why are you the only one having this issue?

Here's another serious high temp locknut option: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=MJET , Flexloc nuts also come in a high temp metric thread, not sure where to buy those in small quantities though. Option C is a Honda dealer, they use a high nickle content exhaust nut that holds up very well and rarely comes loose.

That had crossed my mind, but it's 4 nuts that always get loose, so hopefully not that many bolts are pulling out of the head. I'll try doubling up a couple of them this weekend and see if that makes a difference. I guess tapping in some step down bolts wouldn't be the end of the world.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
I'm using the correct copper lock nuts, and am and using the correct torque settings.

What are you torquing them to?
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 273, 274, 275 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 274 of 515

Jump to: