Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Concours d'Lemons
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Concours d'Lemons Reply with quote

AutoWeek Magazine ran an article with pics on the Monterey Concours D'Lemons. This is a contest for the worst of the worst, and the best of the worst.

The 8th picture (of 19) features a Pepto Bismol Pink VW Thing with a black top. It appears to be a 74, based solely upon the placement of the rear view mirror on the body (not much of the car is shown).

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/concours-dlemons-eyesore-again

Ok, fess up... Who owns that beautiful example?
Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the photographer was photographing people instead of the car. The top and paint (from what little I can see), look to be pretty nice. Great idea for a car show though. I think I'll steal the idea.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching a segment of Chasing Classic Cars where Wayne Carini entered this. He went to a lot that rents trashed used cars - like a rent a wreck. He rented the worst car he could find, entered it and won.

Pretty funny.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did have a nice pink Thing at Kubel Treffen 2013 in Dover. May be the one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
I remember watching a segment of Chasing Classic Cars where Wayne Carini entered this. He went to a lot that rents trashed used cars - like a rent a wreck. He rented the worst car he could find, entered it and won.

Pretty funny.

I saw that episode. I found it funny, too.

I also saw a Jay Leno hosted show while on vacation at OBX (didn't catch its name), and a segment of that show was the Monterey Concours D'Lemons. Some of the cars he showed included a Yugo, an Edsel, a Pinto, a Vega, and a Pacer -- and all were in decent to very nice shape. I guess there must be a wide d'finition d'lemon. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: