Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the 59 Ghia insulator rings back from the machine shop. Unfortunately, they were a real pain to make and they are so thin that a lot of them didn't make it through the final milling. They turned out OK and are usable, but they are not up to my usual standards.

Here is the original insulator ring that was used as a sample:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is my reproduction:

Here you can see some of the problems. The raised section were so thin that some of them didn't come through the milling process intact.

All in all it was worth a try and of the 50 blanks I had I think I have about 15 good ones, 15 fair ones and the rest were too damaged or flew apart during the milling. I looked into having them injection molded, but for such a small run they would have been way too expensive. I suppose the next option will be having them 3-D printed. At this point I will try to sell the good ones I have at a loss and save up some more money, and look into the 3-D printing option if there is a demand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two part mold would work for this part.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
A two part mold would work for this part.

Loren wrote:
....and look into the 3-D printing option if there is a demand.

I've done the dash trim on my '66 as a 3d print and it came out OK. Not too expensive and dimensionally accurate. Moulds were expensive for my part but maybe not for this insulator

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A two part mold of this size should be easy to make on your own and probably only be around $50 or less in materials
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon Loren, insulators received! Very nice! I’ll take some pics of the installation and add it to the forum for testimony.
So what’s next? How about those plastic studs that hold the cover to the ring? I have foam earplugs holding mine on!
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to make a mold I would need an NOS insulator ring to make a mold from. All the insulator rings I have are cracked and damaged. It seems the plastic used to make the original rings shrinks slightly with age since every ring I have is cracked. With 3-D printing all I need is a good sample to take measurements from, the steering wheel and a contact ring. I might look into 3-D printing in the next few years if there is any demand.

I looked into having some of the ribbed studs that hold the plastic cover on produced, but they were cost prohibitive. Besides, I don't think there is enough demand to invest in a run of them.
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fits in there perfectly! Well done Loren.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

What, if anything, holds the brass ring in place over the plastic insulator in the '59 setup? Should it be a tight enough fit that the brass ring snaps into the insulator? I assembled my newly restored wheel and the brass contact ring just sort of lays in place over the insulator, so with any turning of the steering wheel it pops out and grounds itself on one of the springs. Hopefully I'm just overlooking something simple. Thanks.
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Good morning Pete, the brass ring should just lay over the plastic insulator. What holds the brass ring in place are the 3 screws and 3 plastic insulator spacers. It should all turn together once everything's in place.

PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Good morning Pete, the brass ring should just lay over the plastic insulator. What holds the brass ring in place are the 3 screws and 3 plastic insulator spacers. It should all turn together once everything's in place.

Thanks Shawn. Judging by your photos I clearly have the wrong insulator spacers. The ones included with my wheel are no where near long enough to hold the brass ring in place. They're very short and don't clear the depth of the horn ring, so if the three screws were tightened down as yours shows the horn ring would be in constant contact with the brass plate. My spacers are also a very tight fit to the horn ring so even if they were longer they wouldn't allow the ring to be engaged and returned by the springs - they're too fat to work as guides for the horn ring which is what yours appear to do. Looks like I need to contact Koch's and/or find some spacers like you have.

Thanks again.

Edit - here's what I was sent:

Last edited by PeteSC on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Glad I could help!
Also, check with Loren, he made a pile of these kits for 58's and 59's, not sure if he has any left but it's worth a shot.
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Those look like spacers for a 60-71 steering wheel?...I'm not too familiar with those.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

I just sent Koch's and email with my photos and yours, so hopefully it's just a mix-up and they can send the correct spacers ASAP. As many wheels as they restore I'll be surprised if it's something they can't address quickly and if that's the case then I'll definitely reach out to Loren.

Thanks again.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

I haven't had much luck finding correct screw insulators, so I improvised as best as I could for a short-term solution. Loren was generous enough to send me the dimensions of the insulators (thanks Loren!). I found nylon flanged bushings online that were very close in size; overall width at flange is 1/32 smaller, overall length is 1/16 larger, lower section outside diameter is 1/32 smaller; inside diameter is 1/64 larger, thickness of flange is identical. They're easy to cut so the 1/16 larger length is an easy fix. Biggest difference is thickness of lower part; it's thinner than original/Loren's repop. It does hold the brass plate down so it does work for that purpose....however there's just a touch of slop in the horn ring since it now has thinner guides. Anyway, for $6.15 for a bag of 100 it was worth a shot. I have 97 extra if someone else needs any as a temporary horn ring fix. Very Happy

Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Nice! Let's see it assembled!
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
Nice! Let's see it assembled!

Here's the only photo I have handy at the moment. Pardon the crooked horn ring; this was with the wrong short screw spacers on so the ring doesn't have the stability it normally would with correct length spacers.

It sounds like there's a chance some spacers of the correct dimensions will be cut, so if anyone else out there in lowlight steering wheel land thinks they might need some now may be a good time to chime in.
Shawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Very nice!
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

Bringing this back to the top... anybody have a spare kit they want to sell? Loren is out and John has a ton of stuff in front of them in his cue. I need everything, springs, screws, washers and plastic pieces.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
copellos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

It's on the list...in fact I need a spring for a sample
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: How to install a 58 and a 59 Ghia horn ring Reply with quote

I used Lorens kit for this

Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: