Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

I think the (914/411?) engine will be just fine. Moisture will kill an engine block for sure, but i think the pack rats made the nest here because it's nice & dry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Not that it's a type 4 engine compartment. It's a LATE BAY engine compartment. All late bays in the US came in with type 4's. Most of the Rest of the World (ROW), they had type 1 1600's, a few in Italy and other places even had 44hp DIN motors that I think were dual port 1300's.
Dual port or single does not really make much difference. A single port 1600 might actually be better in a bus.
There are some REAL reasons to do a type 1 engined late bay, but not financial. The main reason is if you wanted to drive it worldwide. Type 1 engine parts are everywhere. Type 4 only US, Germany, Britain, and Aus.
A type 1 engine can be put into this correctly with the proper tin, wires and air cleaner and preheat hoses. Can't remember about the final drive or 4th gear.

This is a pile of junk tho. Nobody would ever run a full centrifugal dizzy in a late bus. Ray Charles could see it doesn't work.
Al

Tell us somethin' we don't know! nyuck nyuck
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

That is one of the cooler engine shots I've seen!
Hope all is well inside that compartment.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:

why would there be corrosion on the case? They are aluminum.
Al

Rat piss is fairly corrosive. Not sure if it harms aluminum.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
69doublecab wrote:

why would there be corrosion on the case? They are aluminum.
Al

Rat piss is fairly corrosive. Not sure if it harms aluminum.

rat piss can rust metal out real quick, but as far as engine blocks go i've never seen it eat through very deep, just kinda makes a chalky surface that sands right off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Sambo - what an amazing find! Pure awesomeness! Now scoop them up - spend some time and money gaining out accolades on the interweb - only to find out now you have a rusty non working turd(turds) taking up space in your drive. Scowls from the pissed wife. No nooky. Then spend some more time selling the crap after you dissect it, trying to net your $ back.

Laughing Wink

Nice find - tell some other dreamer where its at - then youll be amazed how much less our head and wallet will hurt Shocked Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Jason, you have solid points!
I'm thinking of buying them up, cleaning them and selling them to someone to keep the buses alive! There's no need for them to keep sitting in the middle of nowhere dying. I may just grab one of the them. Haven't decided yet. Looking for storage options.
I know some motors and transaxles, but I'd rather sell them as nice camper rollers to someone who more space or wanting the project.
Sam

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Fight the good fight then sir. If you are up to all that they sure deserve it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Abscate,
Who's making mistakes? I know it isn't Consvws, thats a freaking sweet find. I completely agree it was destined to be rescued, all the wild flowers in bloom. Awesome photos. X2 on seeing some interior shots.
What are people's take on buying a couple rollers (the two I know of), they're not in terrible shape. Believe it or not, the 75 is in the same shape I found my 74. I know I wouldn't make much selling them, but being able to get a few parts off of them I need, cleaning them up, and keeping them alive by selling them to someone who has the passion and knowledge for a good deal, I think it's good karma! SAVE THE BAYS! Or have lots of yard art Laughing

Sam

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

If you have the means and wherewithal to buy, haul, store, clean, part out, and sell your finds, then by all means do so. Better than letting them rot away or get recycled into Kia fenders and rebar.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
If you have the means and wherewithal to buy, haul, store, clean, part out, and sell your finds, then by all means do so. Better than letting them rot away or get recycled into Kia fenders and rebar.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bays do not bring big $$ in that shape, lots of dreamers around that say they want a Bus, but to get one w/ no engine or trans will slow your sales. The hope is to find someone that has a rotted but running camper, that can do the swap. #1 rule is to keep the wife happy, I have stored Buses here to keep a friend from pissing off his wife. If you can store them until you get them cleaned up & sell, go for it.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Anyone k ow anything about this... totally new to me. At first I thought high top Vanagon, but claimed as a 76, and the tail lights look like Bay window

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/5624385454.html

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Anyone k ow anything about this... totally new to me. At first I thought high top Vanagon, but claimed as a 76, and the tail lights look like Bay window

That is a grey market car/ truck. Not imported into the US originally.
LT24, I think 24 is for the 2400cc engine displacement. Pretty good truck, but might have to get parts from Germany Or UK.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:

That is a grey market car/ truck. Not imported into the US originally.
LT24, I think 24 is for the 2400cc engine displacement. Pretty good truck, but might have to get parts from Germany Or UK.
Al

yep. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_LT
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

a friend of mine just gave me a badly rolled '73 bus and a rusted out '61 beetle for removing them from his friends property. The beetle we cut up right there & threw in the bed of the truck, and the bus we popped the drums loose & towed home on a dolly.

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Looks pretty rough. It looks like the whole body is shifted.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

khalimadeath wrote:
Looks pretty rough. It looks like the whole body is shifted.

Not that bad. Is there much rust? Give it to a community college with collision program. If you are in a higher tax bracket You can value it high and take the write off as charitable deduction.Or, just have them fix it.
A good man with a collision machine could probably have it good in 2 days.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Well, i cleaned it up & there is some serious rust in certain spots. It probably could be fixed, but i'm pretty sure this is a parts bus. The roof is buckled up pretty bad too. It does have some good body clips & a door though. The front beam & frame are nice & solid

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Bummer, it looked like a nice bus before it rolled. IMOP, it's way past totalled. The only way anyone would fix that bus is if it was a barn door!

I'd strip anything of value and sell the shell to the metal recycler.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I'd strip anything of value and sell the shell to the metal recycler.

That's why i picked it up, so i can strip it & clip it Cool Happy 4th!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 69 of 100

Jump to: