Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
myvantastic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Found this along my road yesterday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everything is for sale but no split screen... so not what I'm looking for Sad

Chris
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^^^ Looks like a damn good stash, though. I would bet there are several gems in that yard.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Looks a lot like Moab to me.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. That old gentleman who passed a few years ago and was active on this site. They pulled a 23 window that had flipped on it's side and KCW fixed it. I can't recall the name of the man or the yard?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
GTV wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. That old gentleman who passed a few years ago and was active on this site. They pulled a 23 window that had flipped on it's side and KCW fixed it. I can't recall the name of the man or the yard?

Tom Tom thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100704

23-Window thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237557
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
GTV wrote:

Tom Tom thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100704

23-Window thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237557

That's it! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

GTV wrote:

Looks like a lot of places in the Western US. Could be Eastern MT or somewhere in Wyoming, too. OP of the photo states Belgium as his location. I am guessing he is visiting the states right now.
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Yep, that's Tom's yard. I started hanging around his shop when I was a kid. He was a fighter pilot in WWII and was Edward Abby's mechanic and fellow poker player. He had a pile of books Ed had signed for him. He used to have a lot of amazing stuff in there, but would only sell it if he really liked you. Quite a few pre 67 cars and buses. There was a really neat split bug that had the logo for a biker bar my dad used to drink at painted on the doors. When Tom died his son sold off all the rare and early stuff.
Goodhand77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

I honestly cant believe a place like that exists , it shouldnt be taken for granted!
Only wish it existed in canada

and my 72'S!!!!!

1972 beetle sedan almost original

1972 westfalia current project, and loving it!!!
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
GTV wrote:

Looks like a lot of places in the Western US. Could be Eastern MT or somewhere in Wyoming, too. OP of the photo states Belgium as his location. I am guessing he is visiting the states right now.

It's Tom Tom's yard, in Moab. I think someone was April Fooling us.
myvantastic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
GTV wrote:

Yes I'm from Belgium and I traveling in my 79 westy since a year.
www.instagram.com/myvantastic

And yes I was in Moab few days ago Wink

Chris
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

just looked through your instagram... utterly amazing photos! enjoy your trip

myvantastic wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
GTV wrote:

Chris

71 Deluxe Bay
myvantastic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
just looked through your instagram... utterly amazing photos! enjoy your trip

myvantastic wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
GTV wrote:

Chris

Thanks!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Goodhand77 wrote:
I honestly cant believe a place like that exists , it shouldnt be taken for granted!

Here go cry in your pillow about this then. Bigger than Moab and still there - slowly being taken over by the Texas Brush.......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6420764

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Goodhand77 wrote:

It did at one time. John Chip's yard.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=John+Chip%27s
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

I remember when VW junk yards were everywhere in S. California in the 70's and the 80's and damn, did I take them for granted. I think they started vanishing in the early 90's. Then, before the split screen buses exploded in pricing, many of them crushed their remaining inventory when scrap prices went sky high in the late 90's and early 2000's.

It's still surprising to me to see any significant air cooled VW only salvage yard still open today.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

found this yesterday. not for sale, but pretty neat. guy had it done in mexico, and was taking others down to be converted, but no longer. had a watercooled VW motor in the back. I thought that the lip on the front for the radiator was very well done, like the brazillian/mexico front nose was mated somewhere to the og. I could not tell where, even with the deer damage. thought it was worth posting.

The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Howdy everyone, name's Jake and Im new-ish to the air cooled side of things. Have a MAJOR passion for VW's and wanted to share my story in finding my new group of additions to the family!

I was buying snake, dog and cat food in PetCo when a lady said "I had one of those!" After figuring out that she caught a peek at my split window tattoo, we sparked a very odd conversation... long story short, she had a bus in the early 80's, divorce happened, bus was parked in the back of their field, she said I could have it but I had to talk to her son (who sided with her) to get the other sons info (who sided with the dad) to then get the dad's info so I could call and ask if he wanted to get rid of the mystery bus! After getting in touch with Jim, I made a trek nearly to the Idaho/Wa canadian border to take a look. First find my phone died and I didnt get a photo but I took quite a few when I went back to get it!

I have my own gun business and told the guy I would trade him a rifle or something for the bus. He said that it wasnt his and he wasnt going to take anything for it. He just wanted THEM all gone! Turns out, he wanted me to take ALL the VW's that were stuffed on the back hill of his little piece of peace! When we went in to take a look for titles, he ended up buying 7 rifles/pistols from me!

Sadly, I never found the right time to head back up to get the squareback, red bug and the green body against the tree. But he assures me they are still there when i want to get them! Ill put up some more pics when i get home, but here are the few I have on The Samba! The bus was far enough away from any buildings to not have rat infestation, the engine door was placed inside on a towel and the keys were in the ignition! Only bad part is, no title and no engine. BUT, the brakes worked, steering worked, and the front doors work perfectly for sitting since 1982!!!!!

76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

^ easier for us to follow your story if you keep in in one post, esp if it has its own dedicated thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613731
The Dubbernaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bay Window hunting History Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! Now people can find it easier!

Went out for a 428 mile motorcycle ride yesterday through eastern washington, north eastern Oregon, and the lot. Found a few random farm forgotten buss' and Im headed back tonight after work to ask around! Fingers crossed for what looked like 2 early westy's with WINDOW high grass around them! Ill post pictures up tonight if I am allowed to take them!
76 Bus
2 Baja's
66 Pigalle Squareback
80 Rabbit
80 Rabbit Pickup
and still collecting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 100

Jump to: