Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'63 Panel Camper to Deluxe conversion project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

crukab, you called me out on the window conversion.... Very Happy so here we go!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I figure the cleanest way to do this is to deconstruct the panels at the factory spot welds and then figure out what the best way to graft it on the bus is:

The inner panel is spot welded at the window frame edges and the two vertical ends of the panel to the pillars

Heres the inner panel removed:

I found one of the nutplates for the window latch hiding inside:

I have to figure out what to do about this pillar. The "E" pillar is different on a window bus than a panel bus. Here it is on the window section, straight up and down

and heres what it looks like on my panel. the pillar on the window bus looks like it goes staight up from the bottom and doesn't curve like this. I could technically leave it like this.... but those dreams about 15 (or 23 windows)..... the pillar goes right where that 4th window wants to be.

I mulled over how to do this for a few minutes and decided that I can retain the "C" and "D" support structures in my bus... so I cut them off of the donor window section:

Those supports might provide the material needed to convert the "E" pillar to the correct window bus form

I need to dig up some photos of the lower part of that pillar on a window bus...i suspect it just goes straight up and down like the others. If thats the case it should be easy enough to fab the missing portion.

Its possible to weld the top and bottoms of this section in at the factory weld points, but its gonna be some work. the top part is welded to the rain gutter a billion times. same with the bottom. alternatively i could just cut a big hole and section the whole thing in which seems like less work but more of a chance the metal will get distorted by the weld heat. This is where I get anal about stuff...

EDIT: I think this might be an early/late difference. From jehu's conversion thread:
Quote:

the one that ends right in the middle of the 1st square window from the back? There are no support pillars between window, At least not on the donor window sections I received, the only support pillar on the bus back there ends right at trim line height

It looks like that pillar might not exist above the belt line on early deluxes. I suspect that the window inner panel on earlier (pre '64) buses extended all the way to the E pillar thats shifted rearwards compared to later buses.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

I think i just confirmed my theory from this picture of a '61 model with windows

All pre '64 buses have an "E" pillar with a bend. on deluxe buses it does not extend to the rain gutter since there's a window there. On all non deluxe buses the pillar extends to the bottom of the rain gutter. On window models, the inner window panel extends all the way back to the pillar except for deluxes, which the inner window panel is shorter to accommodate the 4th window.

All 64+ buses have an "E" pillar that goes straight up and down rain gutter to rocker. All window model buses, including deluxes use the same inner window panel for the 3 side windows that extends to the "E" pillar which happens to be the same size as the earlier model deluxe inner panel, thus eliminating the need for two separate parts on different models.

My donor window section is from a later bus. Do you know what that means?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Got a couple of hours in today. I decided to graft the window section in. I couldn't access all the factory spot welds on my bus since I didn't want to remove the support pillars.

Trimmed out:

Its very light like this and will be easier to work with this way.

I had this section of cargo door I've been keeping for its window opening. it came from a genuine BG/SWR 23 window deluxe.

after hitting it with a wire wheel, a lot of rust holes showed themselves. ugh. I'm going to have to patch it.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

You need to get out all the rust before any welding.

Slather on Naval Jelly to that rusty area of the window frame. Work plastic wrap over the jellied area so it is tightly covered, and leave it for at least over night. Wipe off the jelly later, let it dry and then hit it with the wire wheel again. Repeat till all traces of rust are gone, and steel shines up with wire wheel.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Also get a chunk of copper to back up thin areas like that so you can weld them up thicker without blowing thru them, and makes the back nice and flat when you do just close up a hole.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
You need to get out all the rust before any welding.

Its too crispy for my taste. Im gonna cut it out and patch a new piece in. Easier and more effective than rust treatment in my opinion... and more fun Very Happy
StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

I'm learning a thing or 2 from this thread, for when I want to start converting my 61 panel to a 11 window.. just got to find donor parts Rolling Eyes

Keep up the good work!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

StefDS wrote:
I'm learning a thing or 2 from this thread, for when I want to start converting my 61 panel to a 11 window.. just got to find donor parts Rolling Eyes

Keep up the good work!

grumpy now makes the inner window panels

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

I spent a good chunk of time creating a cardboard replica of my window section to get the cut perfect. I traced it on the bus and then I got out the cutter...

scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Keep up the good work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

scooby_drew wrote:
Keep up the good work!

thanks!

My son got home and said "Dad you're making the bus an ice cream truck?!?"

(not such a bad idea for a 5 year old.)
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Got the section tacked in today.

I made a really really dumb mistake. I cut the panel about a quarter inch short on the top. this is a case where measure 15 times cut once bit me in the ass. had i measured twice and cut once I would have been fine. i kept overthinking how to trace it out to the point where i actually drew two lines and cut on the wrong one (even though i clearly marked the right one "cut here") *sigh*. I spent the majority of my time working cutting a thin quarter inch section to weld into the gap. ah well. ive made worse mistakes... but this was very frustrating.

but on a positive note, all the measurements i took from a factory window bus match EXACTLY with where I welded these in. I even checked with a digital caliper, measuring the front edge of the B pillar to the front most window edge.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

looks great!

Mistake is what make us better... sometimes!

i'm sure next time you'll measure carefully
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

some more progress on the window section today. mostly welded in:

fixing my "boo boo":

I'm seriously considering a 15 or 23 window conversion...
scooby_drew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Hell, you're 3/5 of the way there to a 15, it can't "hurt" anything any more than you already have (you're not hurting anything). I say do whatever you'd be proud to drive. Just keep in mind how expensive and high maintenance those sunroof contraptions can be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Progress: I cut this window section off the donor panel I had. It was a cargo door window.

As previously noted, the sill was rusty. This is after media blasting the rust.

Here is the start of the replacement section being fabricated. Using a block of oak as a brake of sorts:

Here's the piece with the window lip bent into it:

Matching the curves of the window:

I clamped the new piece to the rusty piece and cut them together. Twins:

All welded in:

I had some extra time so I finished the welding on the big window section:

So...the big question is where is that single window section going to go?
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

I measured (carefully Wink ) and cleco'd in the repaired window section:

This is going rear of the cargo doors on the passenger side. I cut out a few sections of the top hat support to overlay this piece. Its so much easier when you can lay the piece you're cutting in over the original.

I should have some more donor window sections arriving soon. I have the cargo doors to do and i'm still up in the air on going further.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

cut a hole:

add a window:

rinse , lather, repeat...

this one required a ton of hammer and dolly work to get lined up.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

Looks like it came that way.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: '63 panel camper project Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Looks like it came that way.

thanks!

I got it all welded in and cleaned up today. This is a weird way to work, 2-3 hours spurts at a time when my wife takes the kids out. Think of all that time wasted cleaning up and setting up every time....

almost like a real window bus:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 34

Jump to: