Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I just use the brake clean to flush out all the brake & clutch dust.

Same here.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
I just use the brake clean to flush out all the brake & clutch dust.

Same here.

Im sure most do... but for the frugal crowd.. Water is cheaper.. Wink and works well at trapping the dust.

I use a hoist/lift (coolant) drain.. place it under brakes, clutch.. and use low pressure water spary, sometimes a brush.. .. wash away the dust/dirt and recycle it with the coolant..

We also use Isopropyl alcohol as our brake cleaner.. .. dries up nicely..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

Cheap ass! Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cheap ass! Laughing

Sometimes it's the simple things .. right at your grasp..

Years ago when I worked for a local service station.. I helped cut their cost down on brake cleaner by 80% just by switching to brake washing with water and recycling it along with the coolant.. The water bill wasn't even effected..
After the H2O bath.. a quick spritz of brake cleaner and it's dry, clean and ready to service..

Now if the brake parts are saturated with oil... gotta go with the proper. chemicals..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

Here's what's a lot safer:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fill it with lacquer thinner or whatever suits you, pressurize it to up to 200 psi and press the trigger. Out will come a powerful stream of cleaning stuff and it's a whole lot cheaper than buying cans of deadly brake cleaner.

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Sure-Shot%C2%AE-Sprayers-en...ot+sprayer

Also the link to the article is dead.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html
tootype2crazy,
cdennisg found it again a few posts back.

VOLKSWAGNUT, I had one asshole working for me that went through a case each of carb cleaner & brake cleaner a week, & he got pissed when I started billing him for it. He must have been snorting it, giving himself a rubdown with it, douching with it & taking the rest home. Just like with everything else, once they have to pay for it, it is used more sparingly.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:

Amazon link:

Yesterday, I wrote...

cdennisg wrote:
I mentioned this story to a mechanic friend of mine this morning, and came here to print out a copy of the article for him. Looks like the address changed a little.

Here is the new location... http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

Also, a bump for anyone who has not read it yet.

Samba won't let me edit my original post to fix the broken link. If a mod sees this, please fix it if possible.

I like that sprayer. I have one similar that I keep my acetone/ATF mix in for rusty bolts.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

For what it's worth, the non-chlorinated brake cleaner is, in fact, washing grade (fast dry) lacquer thinner. The thin nozzle works great for getting thinner into those glove box-sized touch-up paint bottles, when the paint gets too thick to be usable.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
For what it's worth, the non-chlorinated brake cleaner is, in fact, washing grade (fast dry) lacquer thinner. The thin nozzle works great for getting thinner into those glove box-sized touch-up paint bottles, when the paint gets too thick to be usable.

Doesn't smell like lacquer thinner, at all. I used some about an hour ago. Smells like brake cleaner.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

I fixed the link

cdennisg wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

Amazon link:

Yesterday, I wrote...

cdennisg wrote:
I mentioned this story to a mechanic friend of mine this morning, and came here to print out a copy of the article for him. Looks like the address changed a little.

Here is the new location... http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

Also, a bump for anyone who has not read it yet.

Samba won't let me edit my original post to fix the broken link. If a mod sees this, please fix it if possible.

I like that sprayer. I have one similar that I keep my acetone/ATF mix in for rusty bolts.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

Doesn't smell like lacquer thinner, at all. I used some about an hour ago. Smells like brake cleaner.

Yep, it's carbon tetrachloride, the cholrinated stuff doesn't burn and was even used in fire extiguishers many years ago, until that little phosgene gas issue came up. Laquer thinner burns like a mofo, be careful with that stuff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

Carbon tetraachloride....are you sure?.....not only does it eat oxygen....which is why it WAS used in aircraft fire extinguishers especially for magnesium years ago. While not a carcinogen. ....moderate to chronic use causes liver and kindney damage.

The vast majority of new non-chlorinated brake cleaners are simply.....as others have mentioned.....mainly just a solvent spray similar to carb cleaner.

Classic brake cleaner sprays are designed to be water miscible. ....and are designed to dissolve and foam,with water. They need to be rinsed with water or they leave a residue that defeats lubricants. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

Well it's been a few years since I actually read the label on a can of the stuff, maybe the formula has changed? smells the same as the stuff in those old extinguishers.

Definitely not laquer thinner if it's non flammable.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Well it's been a few years since I actually read the label on a can of the stuff, maybe the formula has changed? smells the same as the stuff in those old extinguishers.

True.....post a brand and I,will pull it up and post it. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

True.....post a brand and I,will pull it up and post it. Ray

This is what I usually use.

cdennisg wrote:
In my experience, it is plainly labeled right on the front of the can whether it is chlorinated or non-chlorinated.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

OK, found a few different cans of the "non flammable" stuff.
*Older Gunk (Solder seal), on the caution label it says "contains perchloroethylene and carbon dioxide".
*current Gunk brand, "perchloroethelene and methylene chloride".
*recent Lloyds, "tetrachloroethylene and carbon dioxide".
*Kleen flo, "perchloroethylene, methyl alchol, d-limonine and carbon dioxide".

Not sure where I saw the Carbon tet now, might have been a 5 gallon pail of bulk stuff I used to have.

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
OK, found a few different cans of the "non flammable" stuff.
*Older Gunk (Solder seal), on the caution label it says "contains perchloroethylene and carbon dioxide".
*current Gunk brand, "perchloroethelene and methylene chloride".
*recent Lloyds, "tetrachloroethylene and carbon dioxide".
*Kleen flo, "perchloroethylene, methyl alchol, d-limonine and carbon dioxide".

Not sure where I saw the Carbon tet now, might have been a 5 gallon pail of bulk stuff I used to have.

Sorry...meant to get right back to this. Tetrachloroethylene. ....is another name for Perchloroethylene....or PERC.

Its is a class 2A carcinogen.....basically meaning hughly suspected. It is also the same ingredient used off and on....as legality allows. ...for dry cleaning. Fast drying, non flammable.....oxygen depleter. A chlorinated solvent......nasty. it has the same short term effects as carbon tet. In an enclosed space it can suffocate you.

The last one in your list....with d-limonene.....while non toxic....technically.....is a heavy degreasr....citrus-sol or citrus based and MUST be rinsed with water or it leaves a residue.

And.....methylene chloride is flat out nasty stuff. It is also known as dichloromethane. Its a chlorinated solvent. One of the less toxic chlorinated solvents but known to actually cause chemically derived hepatitus......by damaging the liver.

And worse......methylene chloride. ....is metabolized in the body by creating carbon monoxide. Acute exposure can lead ro carbon monoxide poisoning.

The 3m brake cleaner:
Acetone
Naptha
Propane
Xylene
Ethylbenzene......which is low toxicity....but carcinogenic.

I dont use brake cleaner for anything. Any basic solvent and water will do what it does. Ray
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

Stoddard solvent and one of these

deodorized mineral spirits work just as well.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I dont use brake cleaner for anything. Any basic solvent and water will do what it does. Ray

Can you elaborate for me please? Of all the classes I struggled through in high school, I never took chemistry. I am all about not using nasty cleaning products if a better option is available.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Can you elaborate for me please? Of all the classes I struggled through in high school, I never took chemistry. I am all about not using nasty cleaning products if a better option is available.

The brake cleaners of say......20 years ago all had a couple of things in common.

1. The main solvent(s) that did the dissolving of the mixture of baked on oils and brake dust.....were pretty bad for you. They were typically Perchloroethylene, methylene chloride.....fast evaporators. ...mixed with usually something like glycol ethers and basic solvents like xylene.

Basically a cross between a basic paint thinner and something very hot like laquer thinner. The hot solvents were required to dissolve any greases.
The greasea oils and brake dust essentially form a "concrete" like mixture. Typically solvents alone cannot dissolve everything in this mix because its somewhat waterbased or more solvent resistant because of the brake dust aggregate.

2. Enter the glycol ethers......which dissolve different types of things thatn the hot, fast evaporating solvents do......and dissolve with water....and allow water to be transmitted into the mix.

Old school brake cleaners like gunk.....were designed....and it said it right on the lable...to be "self emulsifying".....meaning they goam up a little due a combination of propellants, evaporating solvents, surfactants (detergents) and the glycol ether.

So......you spray on the brake cleaner.....scrub it around.....add a little water....it encapsulates the dust and leaches into the aggregate......and helps dissolve what solvents alone cannot......and then you rinse it with a water hose. It foams up....and washes away clean (self emulsifying). It was on your back to then dry everything off with towels and compressed air so it did not flash rust.

For environmental reasons.....very few modern brake cleaners are made this way anymore primarily because the average home user or mechanic had the habit of simply just flushing all of this down the sewer with the garden hose.......and it contained metals, lead, asbestos etc.

Pretty much they are now just highly volatile solvents to melt the emulsion of brake dust snd grease.......sometimes with another solvent ingredient to slow down the drying process of the hot solvents long enough that you can work it around. Then they dry fairly clean. No water.

For what you are trying to do......its pretty simple to take a decent solvent like xylene or many paint thinners......that do not have the nastier more toxic solvents.......and brush them on or psfay them on, scrub them......and then add a surfactant (degreaser/detergent)......work it in and then rinse it off. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: