Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference in how the product works if its chlorinated or not?

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I have noticed.
Wideopen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be from CA, but I am not a blowhard(what ever that is), here the brake cleaner is non clorinated...yah ..I know! It does exist and you have the ability to determine what is right for you. Read and educate yourself, that is the American way(it is not the governments responsibility to take care of you)!

I at one point did not like hearing protection, I shot loud guns and worked on loud cars and bikes, and thought I was immune to hearing damage in my youth...you bet your ass I protect what I have now! Oh and I am only in my thirties.....I do not want my hearing to get worse.

Protect skin too from the chemicals!

Squareback.....wife is begging for....not in the $ right now!lol
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would bump this for those who have not read it yet. If you see this, and are curious, check out the link.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I served 20 years in the Navy. Early on in my career the Navy didn't much care about "occupational safety" but around 83 or so they started getting tighter on it. In 86 when I transferred to the USS John F. Kennedy I was assigned to the Safety Dept. Did I learn a lot there.

Eye protection: I wear prescription safety glasses always (since I have to wear the glasses anyway), goggles or face shield when needed.

Gloves: I buy the nitrile gloves by the boxful. Use them all the time, even when not especially necessary. Makes it easier to clean up afterwards. I also have different types of gloves for different jobs. Want to work with tomething nasty? Try paint stripper.

Boots: Drop something heavy on your foot when wearing sneakers. Safety shoes are a must.

Respirators: From not using them years ago I now have asthma. I don't even use the disposible ones when sanding wood. I use the 3M 6000 series respirator with the appropriate filters/cartridges. HEPA for dust, Organic vapor for painting, and the HEPA adapter on the OV cartridges when spraying. Here's a chart of the different cartridge/filter types:

http://www.respiratormaskprotection.com/Respirator-Cartridge-Filter-Reference-Chart.html

Finally, hearing protection: After serving 10 years on aircraft carriers, and sleeping between the box catapaults on one of those three carriers, my hearing is screwed. Once it's lost you can't get it back. Earplugs are great, I carry them with my all the time. Even use them when I drive my 69 VW 'vert on the freeway or go to a concert. If the noise level is really high (like on the carrier's flight deck) you may want to use double hearing protection, earplugs and ear muffs.

Other protection: Mainly it's just common sense. You wouldn't wear shorts and short sleeves when welding, for instance. Safety is 90% common sense. Some things may not hurt you right away (like wood dust) but can cause problems years down the road. My dad quit smoking in 1962, and died of lung cancer in 2006. Was the smoking of Camel nonfilters the cause? I don't know.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fred69vert wrote:
Other protection: Mainly it's just common sense. You wouldn't wear shorts and short sleeves when welding, for instance.

And don't wear Crocs when using a plasma cutter. Ouch.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchback wrote:

And don't wear Crocs

Excellent advice!

GEX has. Just sayin
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:
notchback wrote:

And don't wear Crocs

Excellent advice!

Agreed. 100%
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
bugninva wrote:
notchback wrote:

And don't wear Crocs

Excellent advice!

Agreed. 100%

Whats wrong with Crocs?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
bugninva wrote:
notchback wrote:

And don't wear Crocs

Excellent advice!

Agreed. 100%

Whats wrong with Crocs?

If you have to ask.......
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the bump on this one Corey- I would have reached for the brake cleaner in the garage and thought, "Now was he saying to keep it away from flame, or.... oh well." Must be all the adhesives I've inhaled.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

I mentioned this story to a mechanic friend of mine this morning, and came here to print out a copy of the article for him. Looks like the address changed a little.

Here is the new location... http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

Also, a bump for anyone who has not read it yet.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

I read the cans to see, it says it in big print weather it is or isant cloranated. and I buy the one that I think I got last tyme....I must have about 5 cans of each ....cant seem to remember witch I want so...apparently they both work just fine. I do refrane from spraying either on plastics.....I had to find a set of hub caps for a fiat back in the very early 80's Shocked yup I killed them.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I read the cans to see, it says it in big print weather it is or isant cloranated.

If it says deodorized it's clhorinated
if it doesn't have the flammable symbol on it it's chlorinated

You want the smelly stuff that burns.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

In my experience, it is plainly labeled right on the front of the can whether it is chlorinated or non-chlorinated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that cdennisg, I've been using it for years & you definitely know when you've heated it. I will be more wary with it now but will continue to use it, the flammable stuff is too volatile (alternators will ignite it) & the CRC non-chlorinated stuff is as effective as pissing on the part.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

If the info keeps at least one of us dipshits from killing ourselves it will have been worthwhile.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

Good info, thanks

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

^ And still today.... brake and clutch dust is bad stuff.....

Never use compressed air to clean brakes and clutches.
Use soap and water and a wet brush..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

I just use the brake clean to flush out all the brake & clutch dust.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: