Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Brake cleaner warning: A worthy read Reply with quote

http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html

I went to dinner with my family tonight since it's our tenth wedding anniversary. We stopped at a cool little off the path place that has cold beer and good food. I picked up a motorcycle magazine (the place caters to traveling bikers) and found an interesting article. It was a follow up to the one I have linked here.

Please read it. This is something that had never occurred to me, but is something that any one of us could encounter when working around the shop. It opened my eyes.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap!

Thanks for posting that.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this.

I saw this a while back somewhere else and wanted to share it with a few of the guys who hang out here and use my shop and welder. But when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it or remember where I had seen it.

If I remember correctly, 6 months out, this guy was still in bad shape.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And FWIW, before some blowhard from California or Canada starts spewing misinformation about how all brake cleaner solvents are now non-chlorinated (the chlorinated solvents are the ones that can produce toxic fumes in the situation described above), many regions of the USA still sell chlorinated brake cleaners, often shelved right next to the non-chlorinated brake cleaners. When in doubt, read the can or download the MSDS. Be safe!

I don't think electrickery works that way
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of your older brake clean products are made from the old Freon.
Freon when burned produces phosgene gas.
Be careful with the old R-12 freon. If it gets sucked in and burned by the engine, it will produce phosgene gas out the tail pipe.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article, I passed it along to some non-VW gearheads too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor man, guess I am going to start reading the warning labels!
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm completely fucked.

Phosgene gas was one of the nasties they used in WWI.

Thanks for posting that.
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that article with my grandpa this evening and he started telling me all about the way stuff was in 50s (grandpa was a mechanic for 35 years). He said they used to use carbon-tetrachloride, which was a common parts cleaner used years ago, to wash grease off their hands at the end of day. Shocked its truly a wonder that more old mechanics don't have cancer.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty oil is bad for you too, way up there on the "thing's that will kill ya slow" list. That's why they push the glove's these days. I couldn't wear them because I couldn't feel anything and I got use to seeing with my fingers.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear blue gloves now while changing oil. I started doing that about ten years ago. I remember using spray cans of carb cleaner as a teenager and never using gloves. (my Dad didn't, why should I?) After a few seconds of spray, I could feel my fingers tingling and then going numb. At the time I thought it was kind of cool. Now I wonder what the long term effects may be. I've breathed in my share of Vermiculite and some other bad shit, too. Nothing can change it now, but I try much harder to protect myself than I did back then.
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for posting this
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we people that are into wrenching on old cars and building stuff with our hands need to pay extra special attention to all the crap that we use in the process. Those warning labels aren't just there to take up space on the can.

that said, I'm the worst offender I know of...too lazy to source some gloves before using solvents and such. its the same reasoning I use when I work in the yard I guess. It would take me 30 seconds to go find a hat and sun glasses but I just charge ahead and spend hours in the sun, exposing my eyes and skin to the full potential of the sun's UV rays, that is until my wife see me and makes me put them on. Laughing

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
CalFinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything will kill you, might as well die doing what ya love.

I used to wash the grease off my hands and parts in the solvent tank w/o gloves. Used gasoline to wash my hands too. Used all the cleaners w/o masks or gloves. Changed oil for decades w/o gloves. For kicks we used to use a bic and brake cleaner to make flame throwers on slow days lol.

Compared to the 2 packs a day I smoke, that stuff won't ever catch up to me.
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalFinn wrote:

I used to wash the grease off my hands and parts in the solvent tank w/o gloves. Used gasoline to wash my hands too. Used all the cleaners w/o masks or gloves. Changed oil for decades w/o gloves. For kicks we used to use a bic and brake cleaner to make flame throwers on slow days lol.

thats a dangerous viewpoint you're taking. to each his own.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalFinn wrote:

Dying after breathing phosphene gas is not what I would call "doing what I love."

Yes, there are many things out there that will kill you. We are forced to take calculated risks everyday. If we want to be absolutely safe, we should never drive a car, and we need to start wearing helmets to walk to the mailbox. But reasonable people make reasonable decisions based on the facts that are presented to us. The issue at hand is something that is easily avoidable and costs us nothing. Plus, as a bonus, you won't die if you avoid making the gas.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I use brake cleaner to clean the air filter elements in my 2-stroke power equip. I always wondered why they smoked/smelled(even after air drying for an hour or two) so bad after starting 'em up!!! That's the end of that!!!!!!
abgwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalFinn wrote:

My dad was a master machinist who worked with dozens of different chemicals every day. He had the same cavalier attitude - washed grease off with gas, rarely if ever used hoods, gloves or even goggles, etc etc.

At least he did until dark spots started showing up on his hands, nose, and ears. Yep, skin cancers all over the place. By the time he retired he was visiting the dermatologist once a month to cut, burn or freeze 'em off.

So if you're too stubborn to protect yourself for your own sake, do it for your spouse, kids or whatever family you have. They don't deserve to watch you die slowly, do they?
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Reminds me of a guy at the local machine shop who is probably in his 60s and close to deaf. He now has a pair of ear plugs dangling around his neck at all times. Wearing safety gear really stinks sometimes, but the alternative is usually far worse (check out any video on removing metal shards from an eye).

Good warning about the brake parts cleaner. I never would have thought about the nasty stuff that it creates when burned.. Of course, I've also never seen a reason to use it on something I'm about to weld. Laughing
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yellow73kubel wrote:
^ but the alternative is usually far worse (check out any video on removing metal shards from an eye).

been there done that.... and was wearing safety glasses when I got a piece of metal... standard safety glasses are only marginal at best at stopping small flying pieces of metal... mine came from dirt and such that was up in the wheel well of my truck... fell straight down, and in the open part of my safety glasses..

GEX has. Just sayin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: