Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

!960 is on the lower left, looks like someone used pop rivets to install it through. Should be solid steel rivets. I believe they they changed to the one similar on the lower right sometime around April / May of 1960?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
WVWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Thanks for the photo, I have the one pictured in the lower right. Car production date is 4/60.
korfitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Can somebody tell what type of wiper switch I need for my 58. Will the one with screw terminals be correct, if someone have the parts number that would be great!
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

These are what your looking for, The one with the wires hooked up is what was in my 1960. Both are Marked VW,
But only the one with the Wires has a #8076

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

I just picked up a 59 Alabaster vert. vin # 21777XX I thought it had been repainted as the gas tank, bumper brackets, rain tray, vert frame, and such are painted the body color. Looks all original with rear quarter having a respray. Other than that I pretty for sure it is almost all original. All the seats are very usable True red leatherette. Brown top that is pretty bad but works perfect.
87,000 miles
Stored in dirty ass barn since 1976
Original engine starting with 251xxxxx
Rust only in bottoms of vert reinforcement. Otherwise solid.
Rolls extremely easy, doors shut like new.

Pics soon.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Popcorn Sounds Awesome, We wanna see it. All those parts mentioned should be in Body color.
korfitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Thanks for the info lovethatconvertble😊 Got a hold on a great original one, so all of the Electric is now finished👍 Tried too look at some photos on a earlier thread "convertible window wedge instalation", but none of the pictures would open.. Does anybody Else have some good picrures? IT would be highly appriciated😊
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

You might pm bugmandave, he recently finished his awesome convertible. Maybe he can post some photos in the thread.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
I just picked up a 59 Alabaster vert. vin # 21777XX I thought it had been repainted as the gas tank, bumper brackets, rain tray, vert frame, and such are painted the body color. Looks all original with rear quarter having a respray. Other than that I pretty for sure it is almost all original. All the seats are very usable True red leatherette. Brown top that is pretty bad but works perfect.
87,000 miles
Stored in dirty ass barn since 1976
Original engine starting with 251xxxxx
Rust only in bottoms of vert reinforcement. Otherwise solid.
Rolls extremely easy, doors shut like new.

Pics soon.

Like to see the pix, too.i have a 60 Alabaster, but I had to do a full resto on it so would be interested to see what the original paint looked like.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Will get pics soon and maybe start a clean up thread.
Bilscho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Hi all, recently got a 59 build, 60 model year convertible, alabaster, which needs work.

Is anyone able to tell me the size of the rear window please, tried a search but came up with nothing concrete.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Bilscho wrote:
Hi all, recently got a 59 build, 60 model year convertible, alabaster, which needs work.

Is anyone able to tell me the size of the rear window please, tried a search but came up with nothing concrete.

Thanks

Just measured my 1960 rear window, it's out of the frame at the moment.
My readings are
9 3/8" tall or 238mm tall by
27 7/16" Long or 694mm Long, Following the curve of the glass
Good luck on you quest.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Here is my 59 Alabaster vert. Been off road in garage/barn since 1976. It is daily driver status now. Everything works.

Notice the gas tank and trunk cardboard are white like the body. Vert frame is body color . Amazingly solid. One key works all locks and ignition. Wiring is exactly like it left the factory. No modern connectors. All screw terminal parts even the oil pressure switch and starter. VW stamped exhaust. VW Pistons and cylinders. Even the clutch disc has VW markings.

I rebuilt the original engine not painting the tins to keep it original.
New white walls, new brakes. Lenny Copp made the Texas Brown vert boot to protect the very fragile OG top and headliner. Otherwise I will be keeping the worn patina look.

Anyone have any OG True Red seat cover material with the sewn pleats. Would love to repair my drivers seat with original material.

I also need early floor mats and tunnel mat. The original were toast.

MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Incredible survivor! Nice color combo (would have been my second choice after jade green Wink ). Great to see all the original details in the pics. Any pic with the top up? Good luck on the parts search!
MDKG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Interesting to see BTW that the inspection covers on your 59 vert are black and not body color while the ones on my 60 vert were red/body color when I bought it (unrestored):

Proofs again that Karmann was not quite consistant in their production in the early years.
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Cool, Whats up with the bumper support tubes? shouldn't they be Black or Body color. For sure not silver. Radio Delete with Antenna? Nice score though. Love the Beauty rings.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Bumper support tubes are body color when I got it. I had to replace the fronts with silver ones due to they were bent enough that the bumper hit the hood.. The back bumper tubes are still white.
SkyDawgVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

I recently inherited this '60 vert but sadly there isn't much left Crying or Very sad

kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Haven't driven my Kabrio (Ser# 201639*) in a couple of years, so got it out of the garage today and drove it. Forgotten how much fun to drive top down. With the 3/4 race cam and modified stock muffler with all internal baffles removed and straight pipes....beautiful sound at throttle and idle!!

Have some minor work to do on it before winter arrives!!
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 58-60 "Early Big Window" Convertible Registry Reply with quote

Love it, Looks like a nice ride.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 50 of 55

Jump to: