Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going doghouse on the 40hp ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

Other alternatives are a hole or louvers underneath the license plate, so it won't show to the casual observer. There are threads and photos of these alternative approaches.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

doug spencer wrote:
Just had a 1641 installed into my '64 Type 1.I understand the need for more fresh air with the the DH.I don't really like the look of hinge extensions or the tennis ball. Is anyone reproducing vented deck lids,made of metal, not fiberglass or carbon fiber?Can metal shops put louvers in my existing hood? will a '64 convertible deck lid work? The tennis ball may be temporary solution for now.All of the seals and tins are in place. Being in central Texas in the throes of a heat wave, I'm afraid to drive during the day. the engine has only 10 or so miles on it at this point,a proper breaking at this point is my foremost concern, a vented deck lid being next. I 'd appreciate tips and advice,the is my first VW.

a check of the want adds shows several used louvered convertible deck lids for sale, looks like about 500 -600 bucks is common asking price. . some look a little rough, some much better. also there are some homemade louvered steel deck lids for several 100 bucks less.

a hot rod body place might be a good place to get a qoute to have yours home made louvered. home (shop) made louvers would not appear like vw louvers unless great pains and expense was taken to make them. generic hot rod louvers could be added ( for me anyway, I prefer the stand off method of raising the deck lid at bottom, as far as looks go, not such much a fan of non stock louvers, but even the stock louver me think kind of takes away of the smooth lines of the rear of the car. All a mater of taste, I use spacers in place of the rubber bumpers on apron rather than a tennis ball.)

bottom line the dog house system needs to be provided with more air than the stock solid deck lid arrangment can provide.

good luck with your new motor!!!!!!!! stay cool, of course your cool, you drive a BUG!!!!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
doug spencer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

Thanks for for your tip, bluebus 86,so far I've only found one vented lid ,a'65 model in bad shape on eBay. I'm probably not looking in the right places,maybe you could point me to the want ads you mentioned.I've called a lot of places with no luck so far. It seems I've two possibilities I'm leaning toward, the repo '57 "w" or having a skilled body tech cut in '72 vents onto my '64 lid.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

I see two when I searched just now. Link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

doug spencer wrote:
Thanks for for your tip, bluebus 86,so far I've only found one vented lid ,a'65 model in bad shape on eBay. I'm probably not looking in the right places,maybe you could point me to the want ads you mentioned.I've called a lot of places with no luck so far. It seems I've two possibilities I'm leaning toward, the repo '57 "w" or having a skilled body tech cut in '72 vents onto my '64 lid.

some here...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...amp;page=1

i currently see 3 stock convertilbe deck lids and it appears there are two with homemade louvers. This above search used "deck lid" as the key words in the upto 1967 Bug parts section.

as suggested you could have later model decklid louvers grafted into an early hood. if you look in the 68 and up section for deck lid you will find many later louver donors.

I searched for deck lid in the up to 67 BUG parts section. you may find more if you search "engine lid" in addition to "deck lid" so give "engine lid" a search also, just for grins try "rear trunk" as a search term also, wierd wording for a Bug but you never know what a seller will post something as. but deck lid and engine lid searches will likely yeild the most results.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
doug spencer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

Thanks for these tips folks.One of the ads looks very tempting. I asked the body man I had in mind about grafting vents and he wasn't exactly encouraging. I told him about the vert.lid said it was a better idea, it's also including rain guard. That then led to posts I was reading about whether rain guards are a good or bad idea as far as the fresh air/overheating debate.I think I just jumped into the old rabbit hole, and my wife is pissed about the money going out too. I think I had better give time for things to cool off (pun intended).
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

doug spencer wrote:
Thanks for these tips folks.One of the ads looks very tempting. I asked the body man I had in mind about grafting vents and he wasn't exactly encouraging. I told him about the vert.lid said it was a better idea, it's also including rain guard. That then led to posts I was reading about whether rain guards are a good or bad idea as far as the fresh air/overheating debate.I think I just jumped into the old rabbit hole, and my wife is pissed about the money going out too. I think I had better give time for things to cool off (pun intended).

then keep running with the tennis ball trick for now, it works. on mine, I used some screws with a plastic foot as stand offs in the two holes on the apron that had the rubber bump stops. my deck lidis only opened about half and inch to maybe 3/4 inch or so at bottom, but with the rubber seal removed, it gives a lot of space around the edges for air flow with the rubber seal removed

this would be a cheap and easy solution for now till the bank account allows a new lid.

good luck, stay cool!!!!

far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

Slow Learner here. What is the tennis ball trick?

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Slow Learner here. What is the tennis ball trick?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: