Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Going doghouse on the 40hp ?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am considering using a doghouse-style oil cooler in my 1965 40HP engine.

1. Will the doghouse cooler assembly fit a 1200 engine case ? ( besides using "step-down" studs and "adapter" case-to-cooler pedestal seals ) .

2. Until now, with the stock 1200 cooler when I needed to remove the fan shroud and alternator/generator I was able to do it with the engine in the car (removing the hood and the hinges supports, plus removing the carburetor and hoses , i used to be able to wiggle it ) .
Will I be able to remove the shroud+alternator with the engine in the car with the doghouse assembly ?

vwsteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work, I have the exact setup on my 65 1200. Works great, but I don't know about removing the shroud with motor in car. I always found it was easier to drop the engine than realign the deck lid brackets.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the engine to do it.

I had a doghouse on my '65 40HP, and it made an summertime overheating sluggard into a cool daily driver that never overheated or ran poorly due to excessive heat.

Be sure to get the whole setup, including new fan and the Hoover bit.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy.... what exactly is the hoover bit ?
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I have found out what the hoober bit is Very Happy stupid me.

Second question:
Regarding the step-down seal kit, such as this one: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-198-029

Where do the flat metal washers go ? Onto the studs holding the cooler assembly to the engine block ?

jordanw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried searching the classifieds, but I am unclear about what this hoover bit is exactly. Can anyone fill me in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordanw wrote:
I tried searching the classifieds, but I am unclear about what this hoover bit is exactly. Can anyone fill me in?

From the gallery, it's the small black piece on the cooler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komissar wrote:

Where do the flat metal washers go ? Onto the studs holding the cooler assembly to the engine block ? [/i]

Tons of good need to know info @

http://oldvolkshome.com/

Bottom of that webpage is link to DH oil cooler seals.

You also need a DH 33, 34, or best yet 35mm (Inside Measurement) cooling fan. Using the 29mm 1300/1500/1600 or thinner earlier fans will cause cooling problems.

Use step 8 to 6 mm studs to mount the cooler base to the engine case. Yes you can drill the ears on the case bigger, but figure it would weaken the case doing that. Not good...
jordanw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to a swap meet today hoping to get a dh cooler and shroud for my 1600 sp. Is there a way to tell if the cooler you are looking at is good?

I've always bought new but am tired with dealing with cheap aftermarket crap, so I want to get a good used German cooler
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used oil coolers are a crapshoot - no way of telling just by looking at them if they came off an engine that had a bad failure and got contaminants in it. Unless the seller has it marked good and clean, and if you can trust the seller...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jordanw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you say going used is just about as much of a crapshoot as going new? Or what is generally the best way to get an oil cooler?
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Going doghouse on the 40hp ? Reply with quote

Komissar wrote:
Will the doghouse cooler assembly fit a 1200 engine case ? ( besides using "step-down" studs and "adapter" case-to-cooler pedestal seals ).

I did this recently, not with a 1200 but with a 1500 but the principle's the same.

Step stud in the case and drill the 6mm holes in the case tabs out to 8mm, very easy to do. That sorts the cooler out.

You might also want to think about the engine mounting bolt behind the doghouse cooler, and put in the proper fitting as you can't reach the nut with the doghouse tin in place.

With a doghouse housing you need a doghouse fan or it will be too narrow and not fill the space properly. I wanted to use a fan for a 6V generator so I added the necessary cooling holes to a stock doghouse (35mm) fan Cool You can see the difference in fan width in the second pic.

Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve decided that changing over to a doghouse cooler is a MUST do for my `63 Ragtop Thanks for the info already posted, one question where to source the `step` stud?

Also would it be considered overkill to think about modifying the shroud and going to a type 4 cooler on a 40 horse? I do use the car as a daily driver, about 70 miles round trip, and I live in the foothills and commute down to Sacramento,CA where its starting to get up to about 100(and will probably get a little warmer). There are a couple of fairly steep grades that can slow the car down 15-20 mph and make it work hard. And yes I do know that all the other factory tin must be in place for the doghouse system to be truly effective. Thanks again for the info.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nut for the upper FORWARD engine mounting bolt is easy enough to get to with DH shroud.
You just remove the two forward DH tins to remove that nut when removing engine. Each has a nut to hold them in (some of the exhaust shells have a bolt, but easier to install a stud in the shroud there and use a nut instead.
When installing the engine, install nut and then DH tins after getting the engine in.
Lots easier than trying to get a wrench onto the upper left bolt past the clutch arm the cable goes through on the front of the transaxle bell housing.

Step studs can be had from most well stocked threaded fastener supply shops and even some Ace hardware stores.

If you were running the heavier bus the type 4 oil cooler would be a good upgrade, but with the Beetle it might not be needed.

The smaller 356 Porsche gen pulley is a good way to up fan RPM (if you do not rev the heck out of your engine) for more cooling air over the engine.
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck Naked wrote:
I`ve decided that changing over to a doghouse cooler is a MUST do for my `63 Ragtop Thanks for the info already posted, one question where to source the `step` stud?

Also would it be considered overkill to think about modifying the shroud and going to a type 4 cooler on a 40 horse? I do use the car as a daily driver, about 70 miles round trip, and I live in the foothills and commute down to Sacramento,CA where its starting to get up to about 100(and will probably get a little warmer). There are a couple of fairly steep grades that can slow the car down 15-20 mph and make it work hard. And yes I do know that all the other factory tin must be in place for the doghouse system to be truly effective. Thanks again for the info.

Try OSH or Bugformance.
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Got a staycation coming up in a couple weeks and I want to try get this, along with some other things, done to the old girl when I have some time to do it a nice relaxing pace rather then just over the usual weekend.
Navy8R
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this qualifies as a hijack I apologize but I have to ask - where do you get these threaded inserts?

66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just knock them out of old scrap cases

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
You can just knock them out of old scrap cases

If you have an old scrap case Laughing I got mine off the classifieds here, easy as.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd seen them for sale new somewhere before but could not remember where. Did some searching to no avail til I found this, whch is not what I remembered though.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pid_183292_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

However I have to wonder about that part number though- 111101135.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: