Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Krylon close matches to factory colors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
What kind of longevity are you folks seeing with Krylon on your vehicle? I've painted our metal mailbox with it only to have it show fade (flag has outline of old color) within a year. I'd hate to spray the whole van and then find fading a couple years down the road, so I'm interested in what experiences have been.

Thanks!

That is my experience. The color may fade (depending on its ingedients) and eventually the paint gets chalky and rubs off.

The Krylon spray approach is not good for an entire vehicle. I just use it to touch up little spots to keep them from rusting, and also use it for bumpers that are always needing touchup and are easily refinished at any rate.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Interested to know if anyone has a off the shelf 'go-to' for LP7Y [X9] Flash Silver?

I will eventually get the whole thing resprayed, but while I do a ding here and a scrape there, I would like to hit those spots with something to keep the overall look somewhat intact.
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Still looking for a match to silver beige.

If anyone has something close, please let us know. I'll be heading down to the Home Depot in the next few days to match something up. I'll post my results if I fond something
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

After the suggestion about Krylon Pebble and Krylon River Rock as matches to L345 Licht Grau, I decided to do a test. Here are photos of the three, applied side by side, on a white base, in outdoor light. This is as good as a comparison gets. I'd have to say that the match is not good.

top to bottom:
Krylon Cover Maxx 9173 Satin Pebble
A very good L345 match done recently
Krylon Fusion 2423 Satin River Rock

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

i'm about to give up. There's no way in hell to find any Krylon Jade, or Krylon Honeydew in canada. Most online shop either do not ship to canada, or charge 20+$ for a single can.

Anyone had any luck finding? I even asked directly krylon canada, and honeydew is just not available in canada...
paule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Ya, Not much luck in Canada for Krylon. Duplicolor has lots of options here but at $15/can experimentation may get expensive.
Been looking for Krylon color master Dover white. Found Krylon Fusion Dover white.
Does anyone know If the Fusion is the same shade as the color master? Looking to do some L82 wheels. I know the color master is "gloss" finish unsure about the Fusion finish. Fusion is available to me. the color master would be an Amazon order so far which as stated is 20+ shipping alone.
Great thread.
DencherD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Hello Samba,this graffitti paint has great low can pressure and lots of colors.I've looked for dove blue in a spray can,and nothing from krylon or rusto were even close. http://www.montanacolors.com/webapp/spray
,the RV 160 Eureka blue is pretty close.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

paule wrote:
Ya, Not much luck in Canada for Krylon. Duplicolor has lots of options here but at $15/can experimentation may get expensive.
Been looking for Krylon color master Dover white. Found Krylon Fusion Dover white.
Does anyone know If the Fusion is the same shade as the color master? Looking to do some L82 wheels. I know the color master is "gloss" finish unsure about the Fusion finish. Fusion is available to me. the color master would be an Amazon order so far which as stated is 20+ shipping alone.
Great thread.

You guys can't just buy it from Amazon or eBay and have it shipped in?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I havent been able to find it locally for a while, walmart used to always stock it as did the local ACE but not anymore.

this was the only affordable option

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Krylon_COVERMAXX_Satin_Spray_p/k09155.htm

the only honeydew Ive been able to find was the plastic version

http://www.thepaintstore.com/Krylon_Fusion_For_Plastic_Gloss_Spray_p/k02320.htm?1=1&CartID=0

A buddy in AZ said he found some honeydew, Ill ask him to see where he got it.
dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="codycat"]
Quote:
reviving this thread haha -- Im looking for a close match to Lotus White for my outer wheels (67 Ruby) and the proper grey-black for the inner wheels (that isnt too shiny)

anyone know of a rust-o-leum match for these ?

Wheel disc (center) LD43 Grey-black
Rim (outer) color L282 Lotus white

ALSO - how much prep are you guys doing prior to painting

I will be trying to replicate these colors for the wheels on my 68 as well. Since nobody replied, here's what I found poking around on TheSamba:

VHT Black Pearl is supposed to be close to L43 (http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-metallic). Not sure about the high heat aspect or the fact that it's apparently a "flat metallic" finish though...

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Gloss Ivory Bisque was mentioned as a match for L282, Seems to only be available in semi gloss now (http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-ultra-cover-2x/semi-gloss). I also noticed that color was also mentioned as a match for other off-white colors so I don't now.

Anybody have anything more definitive for matching this common wheel color combo Question

Thanks, Doug
dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

cricketseed wrote:
Here's my '66 in Ruby Red with rims in Rustoleum Regal Red and Krylon Super Maxx Gloss Ivory. (I know this combo isn't correct for a '66; I just like it better than the original black and white.)

The Krylon Super Maxx is really nice -- easy to use and builds up to a finish that feels like a piece of enameled cookware or something. The Rustoleum is average. (To be fair, Regal Red is also available in Rustoleum's "Professional" spray line, which I've used before in other colors and really liked, but I couldn't find it for this project.)

Old post, but I have a question. Were you just showing what these colors look like on your wheels and that the Rust-Oleum red is a good match, or were you suggesting that the Krylon Supermax Gloss Ivory is a good match for L282 Lotus White Question

Thanks, Doug
DencherD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I've been looking for some Dover white with no luck.Came across some Rusto Satin Blossom.Looks pretty good. I have nothing to compare the color though.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

gondiwindi wrote:
paule wrote:
Great thread.

You guys can't just buy it from Amazon or eBay and have it shipped in?

Home Depot in Canada is now carrying Krylon, as well as Rustoleum.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

I just painted the fibreglass front air dam/spoiler for my Beetle using a Duplicolor Desert Sand spray can. It turned out to be a close match to the factory L620 Savanna Beige:

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
gingergypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubllyou wrote:
Not a bad match. A little playing with the undercoat and I think it could be even closer.

The light's funky in the shot and I can't roll it out yet but it looks darn good in person.... after five cans of "test" paint. Confused

Cool

has anyone tried out more L30A Royal red? this picture is hard to tell how good the match is

Currently residing in yosemite valley with Elizabeth, if you are in the park come say hi!
dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvancleve wrote:

I will be trying to replicate these colors for the wheels on my 68 as well. Since nobody replied, here's what I found poking around on TheSamba:

VHT Black Pearl is supposed to be close to L43 (http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-metallic). Not sure about the high heat aspect or the fact that it's apparently a "flat metallic" finish though...

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Gloss Ivory Bisque was mentioned as a match for L282, Seems to only be available in semi gloss now (http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-ultra-cover-2x/semi-gloss). I also noticed that color was also mentioned as a match for other off-white colors so I don't now.

Anybody have anything more definitive for matching this common wheel color combo Question

Thanks, Doug

I found this at the very beginning of this thread and couldn't edit my older post:
AlteWagen wrote:
Other reports from posters with no pics

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Gloss Ivory Bisque vs. L 282 Lotus White. And when I had trouble finding it, I also used Painter's Touch Heirloom White

The Heirloom White appears to be available only in satin now (https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-ultra-cover-2x/satin).

Doug
dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvancleve wrote:
dvancleve wrote:

Thanks, Doug

I found this at the very beginning of this thread and couldn't edit my older post, Heirloom White appears to be available only in satin now (https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-ultra-cover-2x/satin):
AlteWagen wrote:
Other reports from posters with no pics

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Gloss Ivory Bisque vs. L 282 Lotus White. And when I had trouble finding it, I also used Painter's Touch Heirloom White

I just found this, alas Dupli-Color has a horrific website and I couldn't find a link:
DannoT wrote:
I have found that Duplicolor SUV rattle cans in the color T205 Wimbledon White is a good match for Lotus White. For touch ups on the interior. Sold at Checker. I've used it on the freash air vent cover & the dash tray and you really can't tell the difference.

And this (Krylon has several "flavors" of ivory in both satin and gloss - http://www.krylon.com/search/?search=ivory&suf=products/ ):
Joe9 wrote:
I'm new to this site and new to the ACVW scene in general.

I just bought a 67 Lotus White Beetle. The car has had the wheels rattle can refinished to resemble the original black and white color scheme. They actually look great, but the white is bright white as opposed to the correct Lotus White. It would probably be unnoticeable, but since the rest of the car is Lotus white, it kind of sticks out.

This never really bothered me, but while at my local hardware store, I noticed a spray can in their paint section that looked really close to Lotus White. I picked it up and thought I would give it a shot. I did a few tests on some scrap primed metal and the color match is remarkably close, if not spot on.

It's a Krylon paint and the color was "ivory" if anyone wants to check it out. I wouldn't repaint the hood with it, but for wheels and small parts in inconspicuous areas, I think it would match up really close.

I also know that paint fades at different rates depending upon a number of variables, so results may vary. Very Happy

Doug

Last edited by dvancleve on Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

PO painted the engine compartment shitty candy apple red. Want to spray paint/rattle can back to L11H Sierra yellow. So many shades of yellow, anyone know which shade is the best match? Looking for inexpensive paint option. Local auto paint places sell the L11H for $25-38 a can.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

If you want VW Sierra Yellow L11H that matches then you're probably spending $50-100 regardless. www.towerpaint.com mixes VW colors in acrylic lacquer & clear coat spray cans. Their enamel doesn't come out looking near as good! 2 cans of each is around $100. Don't skimp on the paint, but try to buy acrylic lacquer L11H spray cans locally. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redfox97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Krylon close matches to factory colors Reply with quote

Anyone have a good match for L90c toga white
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: