Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

He has the roll pan for the front....he took it off to put the winch on.

I cannot imagine driving it with a Corvair engine. It will be a handful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

The knobs are not correct for the folding windshield.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I have never owned a Sportster but I think they are most cool. A few posts up there is a Sportster with a long bed that apparently isn't standard. I live in Pennsylvania and the Enhanced Inspection requires the engine, "To be covered by a hood." Standard or not that extra length would cover that regulation nicely. I think if a Sportster shows up in my area at a good price I would be hard pressed to pass it up.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.

Last edited by BIGMIKEY on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PG Sportster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I thought EMPI built a few "long bed" Sportsters to fit over a VW Type 3 or Corvair engine. They had a removable engine cover in the bed to access the engine.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello PG Sportster,

I thought the long bed was to add a second row of seats? Confused
PG Sportster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I believe we are talking two different versions.
One is the long wheelbase (not shorten pan) that allows the rear seats to be installed.
The second is the long bed on a shorten pan. It had an extended bed if used with a Type 3 pancake or Corvair engine.
I remember seeing an orange / red long bed a couple years ago on eBay that had the factory built tag on it.
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I will have to google and see if it comes up. Cool
PG Sportster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Here's a photo, but the link has expired.

http://bringatrailer.com/2014/12/31/vw-kit-originator-1964-empi-sportster/
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

This one is one eBay right now. Pretty nice. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Other-TITLED-61...2000236282
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, funny enough if you see the asking price for the empi on ebay site, they guy does not give to many details. Rolling Eyes . In addition is that a chevy sticker on the front?

What's up with that.

Wink
l8sho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

There's another Chevy sticker on the back. Do you suppose it might have something to do with the Chevrolet Corvair engine, transmission, and rear suspension?
towddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

A brand new Empi Sportster showed up at the Manx Clubs run in Big Bear this last weekend (July 7-11 2016) Made from original Empi plans that had been run through CAD program then laser cut from new steel. It was sitting on a Dave Barrett chassis but was designed
to be on a full length VW pan. It can also be shortened.
Any interested parties respond to this post.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I note that throughout this thread there have been a great many posts about this item or that item that is not correct original EMPI Sportster.

But the EMPI Sportster was sold as either a ready to install body on your pan, or by separate parts, or one could buy the plans and build their own.

So unless one is selling a car as a factory original complete body, most any configuration is "correct". I've seen a Sportster built using the cab from a split window VW Bus in the "normal" cab location for a Sportster. That car is entirely "CORRECT" as that's the way it was built. "The knobs are not correct for the folding windshield."? Come on folks...
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

towddude wrote:
A brand new Empi Sportster showed up at the Manx Clubs run in Big Bear this last weekend (July 7-11 2016) Made from original Empi plans that had been run through CAD program then laser cut from new steel. It was sitting on a Dave Barrett chassis but was designed

love to see pictures and the asking price
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I have no pics or contact info. But it DID look nicely made.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
towddude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I'll try to get some pictures posted. And get the builder to give more information but I think he might be interested in selling some kits.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

towddude wrote:

Can you post some photos of said Sportster?

bnc
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Not gonna lie. even a boat guy gets tired of sanding fiberglass. I'd be interested in lazer cut panels for a sportster, and I have a scanned laminated set of the EMPI "plans". more like design suggestions. Wink
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
turbodaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I had the new Sportster body at The Big Bear Manx event last weekend. If you would like more information, PM me.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sandhopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

PM sent
would like to know more about what you have going on
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 33

Jump to: