Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire lug nut torque?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Tire lug nut torque? Reply with quote

What amount of torque is reqired for tightening the tire lug nuts?
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 96 ft/lbs on all my cars.

You'll probably get answers anywhere in the 72-100 ft/lb range. Tire shops put them on with an air-impact and use WELL over 100 ft/lbs, which is just way too much. Pick your favorite number between 72 and 100 and make them all consistent.
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the german unit of measure, Gutintight. Laughing but seriously he's right
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupin..the..3rd wrote:

You'll probably get answers anywhere in the 72-100 ft/lb range. Tire shops put them on with an air-impact and use WELL over 100 ft/lbs, which is just way too much. Pick your favorite number between 72 and 100 and make them all consistent.

A good tire shop starts them with an impact with a low setting, then brings them into spec with a torque wrench.
lupin..the..3rd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:

A good tire shop starts them with an impact with a low setting, then brings them into spec with a torque wrench.

Agree 100%. But at least where I live, a tire shop that uses a torque wrench to tighten lugs is an endangered (or extinct) species. I've never found one. I end up having to use a 4 foot breaker bar extension, or just jumping up and down on the lug wrench to break them free after the tire shop has had their hands on them. Sad
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/69bug/page29.jpg

110 ft/lbs for a '69. By '73 they recommended 94 ft/lbs.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
MrUnix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupin..the..3rd wrote:
I've never found one. I end up having to use a 4 foot breaker bar extension, or just jumping up and down on the lug wrench to break them free after the tire shop has had their hands on them. Sad

I actually snapped a largish 4-way lug wrench in half while doing the 4 foot cheater bar trick one time. Now I have a 550 ft/lb impact wrench at home, so if it's not welded on, I can usually get it off.

Oh, to stay on topic; the Bentley book specifies 87-94 ft/lb of torque for the lug nuts.

Cheers,
Brad
Epicboogieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
lupin..the..3rd wrote:

If you find a tire shop that does not set wheel bolts with a torque wrench, run far, run fast. It is an industry standard to have a reference chart visible in the service area, and the techs should use it for every vehicle serviced. If I'm not mistaken, it is also an OSHA requirement. Insist that your preferred shop properly uses torque wrenches. An overtorqued bolt is weakened and is just as dangerous as an undertorqued one.

Words of experience. I've been in the tire service industry for 17+ years
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc1369 wrote:
I use the german unit of measure, Gutintight.

Beat me to it.
DeathTrap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many tireshops I've watched run them down with the airgun then to "show off" check them with a torque wrench to see if they are tight.

Of course they are tight at 150 ft lbs
did you check them with the torque wrench

of course it clicked right at 94

my favorite was the kid in the shop with 200lbs PSI air running the dual hammer 350ftlbs gun running them full on overtight not once (circle pattern)
but a second extensive dose for good measure.
onetuza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this somewhere. It depends on the lug bolt size.

Wheel to drum/disc bolt (M14) (87 - 94)
Wheel to drum/disc bolt (M12) (72)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lupin..the..3rd wrote:
But at least where I live, a tire shop that uses a torque wrench to tighten lugs is an endangered (or extinct) species. I've never found one. Sad

All the Les Schwab's in my area use an actual torque wrench to put on lug nuts.
Mint74bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hanes manual says 91 ft/lb
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like ive been a little light on my torque settings. ive been putting lugs on and torquing ot 85ftlbs for years, no problem. i guess i should be tightening them to closer to 90 ftlbs.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowdays it's a 'torque stick', an extension of 'some sort' that is supposed to be correct, still a bit of crap as they r still over tightened. If it's a new to me shop i ask if they hand tq witha tq wrench, if no i tell them why i'm not buying their tires & leave, as usual no warranty offered at this time.
jlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use anti-seize on my lugs. Have always suspected the torque recommendation is different in that case but don't know what it should be.
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
lupin..the..3rd wrote:

agreed. another method that works well, but is a little less precise, is using a "torque stick". it's common to use a 100 ft/lb torque stick on an impact gun and call it a day. that will put all lugs at roughly 100 ft/lbs, but more importantly, it will prevent any from being grossly over-torqued.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
All_talk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlex wrote:
I use anti-seize on my lugs. Have always suspected the torque recommendation is different in that case but don't know what it should be.

Be carful with this, they might loosen up on you. With rusty stiff lugs I have used a little anti-seize on the threaded portion only and run them in and out a few times to smooth them out. I would be careful not to get anti-seize on the seating area, its the friction here that keeps them tight.

To answer your question, a lubricated bolt takes LESS torque to get to the same load. If you have been using the normal torque (90-100 ft.lbs) they are probably overloaded.

For the ACVW's the typical overload failure will be the threads in the cast drum/disk, because of this I would say over torqued might be more dangerous the under. You could likely feel loose lugs as a vibration before they thread out enough to fail. But cracked or partly striped threads in the drum might let go all at once in a high load situation.

Just some thoughts
Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times I've dropped my VWs off at the tire shop for new tires I can almost never loosen the lug bolts with a lug wrench. They're always WAY too tight. When I asked the tire monkeys about over torqueing they assure me that they tighten them to the proper specs. I've never seen them use torque wrenches though; only air impact guns.
I don't and never will trust any tire shops. I've seen lug bolts/studs shear in half from being stretched out. It's a scary thing seeing a wheel bouncing down the road at 40mph.
When I need new tires I take them off at home, drop them off at the tire shop, pick them up at the end of the day and put them on myself. Just use the VW lug wrench and get them snug- then one more little bounce with my knee on each one.
Never used a torque wrench on lug bolts and never had one come loose.
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire lug nut torque? Reply with quote

I'm w/awreed, take off the rims one by one if you have to, one swift thrust with the foot on the stock wrench and you hear that squeak once. It should sound the same when you take it off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: