Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '66 V-DUB Build Thread - Body-Off Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
Hey Moto! Glad to see you back at it! So tell me more about this "Peel and Seal" - what exactly is that?

Hey SP - It's a poor-man's Dynamat or Thermocoustic. I read a bunch of threads on the stuff on TS before I bought it. Most of the concerns were for the smell and safety of using a carcinogenic "tar" type product inside the car. I decided to go ahead and use it in the engine compartment to save a little dough in an area that probably didn't really need it. The drawback is that it's a little thin. It takes two layers to equal 1 thickness of Thermoustic. But as far as I can tell, if you have the two layers, it seems to accomplish the same goal. From reading the threads of others who have used it, it appears it lasts, does not come de-bonded in heat, etc. and accomplished what the user set out to do. Here's a link to the stuff in case you're interested. If you price out the stuff in comparison to Eastwood Thermocoustic, it's only about 50 bucks less than 1 package of Thermocoustic. I probably wouldn't use it inside the car, but that's just my opinion.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_

'66 Sedan Project - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=410718

R.I.P. - Mikayla. I miss you Baby girl.
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas1960 wrote:
Glad to see you back at it. You didn't wait til it cooled off, you waited til it was down right cold haha, at least by Texas standards! Good idea on further deadening the sound in the engine compartment. I daily drive mine and thats one thing I may do in the future. I love the look of this car and can't wait to see it!! I'm right up the road from you if you need a hand with anything. Just message me.

Yes, as I type this, it is snowing and sleeting here. If I say it's too cold now, I'll feel like a car restoration Diva, so I'm keeping my mouth shut. Laughing But it is damn cold. Thank you. I'm really ready to see it done. And my wife is about to have a cow as well. She is really pushing me to get it done and I can't blame her. It's a lot of money to sit unfinished. I really hope to be cruising around in it by Spring. Thanks for the offer for help! I will let you know.

Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot. A while back, I assembled one vent wing assembly and took a few quick pics, but I forgot to post them. The assembly is just sitting in the door. I haven't decided to hard mount it yet. But I thought I would post the pics. I'm really, really happy with the way they turned out. And I am VERY HAPPY to be moving from the one-piece windows and back to the stock vent window set-up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

More to come.

Texas1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good man!! You're getting close!!
Tenor66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following your build and am very impressed. Very Happy I really can't wait to see it when it's done! Do you have any updates?

Also, I have a question. I've read a lot of different threads about the exact ivory color of the steering column and gear shifter. Could you share with us which paint you used to match your steering wheel? Do you have a paint code?

Many thanks and let us followers know how your bug is coming along when you get a chance. Laughing
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenor66 wrote:
I've been following your build and am very impressed. Very Happy I really can't wait to see it when it's done! Do you have any updates?

Also, I have a question. I've read a lot of different threads about the exact ivory color of the steering column and gear shifter. Could you share with us which paint you used to match your steering wheel? Do you have a paint code?

Many thanks and let us followers know how your bug is coming along when you get a chance. Laughing

Hello Tenor!

All the way from Germany! The internet amazes me sometimes, LOL!! First off, thank you for the kind words. It's been a real pleasure to work on....though, I'm tiring of the project. I'm ready to have it on the road. I'm currently wiring the car with a new wiring harness. As I'm sure you've seen, I'm using the Watson's Street Works harness which is AWESOME, but it takes a little more time in that you must run each wire. I also pulled the engine to facilitate wiring the engine bay and while I was at it, I had the exhaust ceramic coated. I've been pulled off the project again for another home endeavor. As soon as it's completed, I will be back on the bug. I've moved the completion date to late Fall, early winter. My travel schedule has been really crazy this year. It will be done!!

As far as the ivory.....they don't all quite match. The ivory on a few of the parts and the car wheels is actually powder coating. I went to the hardware store one day, looking for a decent paint for the wheel. I found white and beige appliance epoxy rattle can paint, and I of course chose the beige. It's a very close match and has proven to be an excellent paint. I'm going to give it a shot. If it gets gummy or breaks down as I put my hands on the wheel over time, I will look for close match of a 2K automotive paint. It might agitate the purists, but I'm not that concerned about it. You have to get really deep to see they don't match perfectly.

Thanks for the interest!

Moto

Madd Maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motto-
Love the car, the commentary/thread and your attention to detail. I just joined the Forum yesterday, and stumbled across your build (just read all 13 pages in one sitting). I live in SW Arlington about a mile from the lake. I would love to come over and see your work and visit with you, time permitting of course. I'm not sure if I'm exactly inspired to do a body off restoration after reading all of what you have done in the last few years and not sure I have the skills for the heater channels - that looked very scary from where I'm sitting.

Is the cats middle name J-3... or Tri-Pacer (milk stool), if it's missing a front strut?

On a side note, where do you keep your UL?

Anyway, would love to see it in person. You are light years ahead of me on VW's and the "Master" as far as I'm concerned right now; I'm not worthy...

Thank you for sharing!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565565&highlight=1960

Wanted: 1960 truck lid & rear fenders
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey MM!!

Welcome to the forum and to VWs. I feel like a bad example, since I've let my project sit for so long. But like many, I just have a demanding job and other irons in the fire. However, the wife and I were out in the shop this weekend, having a beer and discussing how we will finish this fall/winter. As you well know, I've let the Texas summer sneak up on me. I'm a passionate guy, but 105 degrees, 60 percent humidity and add 10 degrees for being enclosed in my shop and well....I'm just not doing much that day.

I welcome your visit. Hell, it might give me some incentive to get going later.

The cat's name is Piper.....from Piper "Tri-Pacer".....so, yeah, you nailed it. Laughing

Sold the UL. Got a new plane and I keep it in the same hangar. It's in a field just between my hometown and Burleson.

PM me and we'll swap details. Thank you for the interest in the thread!

Moto

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI ! GREAT INFO!!!! ...I am starting a new project on a 64 in a couple of months ( currently finishing off [search" replacing a roof car rolled over"] a little project for a friend )....I want to thank you for making up my mind on doing the TOTAL resto...I have decided that 6 months is long enough to get a car driveable and at 62 yrs old I better fix it;.. drive it.. and enjoy it.. while I can Shocked...thanks again for the thread Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
darkfox89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Burleson and really not even sure how I stumbled across this thread (My sandrail is what brought me to Samba, but I'm becoming very interested in all things VW!) This build thread is GREAT. It is tough work in itself indeed to keep up with pictures, especially with dirty hands! You've done good work with the build, and the thread! I skimmed over the entire thing!!! I couldn't skip a page... Keep it up! I made it out to Fredericksburg this past year to get a taste of the VW world in person! Hope to see this ride next year! You're pretty close!!

Have a good one, and keep up that steady pace! It's paying off!!!
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on this?
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

Yes, lot's actually. Well, lot's of work, not as much progress. I've been wiring the car and running into problem after problem. As you may have noticed earlier in the thread, I purchased the VW Harness from Watson's Street Works. I'm not going to bash it because they've been instrumental in helping me resolve the issues with it. But there have been issues. They've been selling the kit for something like 11 years now, and not gotten much feedback. I guess folks who found a circuit run short, butt- spliced it and kept going. That was not an option for me......not for the integrity of the circuitry of the car, but especially not after spending 400 dollars! So, again, not going to bash it. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. But the process of working with the factory and ironing out the issues has slowed me down tremendously. I've been working directly with American Autowire to resolve the issues. I was told, after the SEMA car show, they were putting together a work group to review the VW kit specifically and address the issues I had raised. In addition to working on the car.....working with suppliers......the burden of taking photos and posting has just fallen to the wayside. I will snap a few and get going again here soon.

Thank you for the continued interest!

Moto

legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: VW Wiring.... Reply with quote

For the electrics of my bug I will be using a Ron Francis kit Their kits a second to none, complete and IMO... the easiest to run. And their CS Is award winning. Check em out.............
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phatdawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Wiring.... Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
For the electrics of my bug I will be using a Ron Francis kit Their kits a second to none, complete and IMO... the easiest to run. And their CS Is award winning. Check em out.............

Link?
-2010 Jetta TDI. White and sips fuel.

The older I get the beter I was!!

http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksfahrer.nl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project and really nice work but I just gotta ask you this:

Motomazzo wrote:

Why???
Looks wrong plus it's useless!?

66 panel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
_MidlifeCrisis_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled on this thread and it's great inspiration for my first pan-off build. Right now I'm currently finishing up the sanding/painting of the pan and getting ready to start running all the new lines (fuel, brake, clutch, accel, heater, etc).
So any updates on your build?
Madd Maxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking project.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565565&highlight=1960

Wanted: 1960 truck lid & rear fenders
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Moto,

About time to clean off the cobwebs and get this baby road worthy! Wink Hope all is well, and hope to see updates soon.

Dave
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silvertonguedevil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what's going on brother?
Motomazzo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's been a while. Quick and to the point. The project is still alive and will be finished. The last 1.3 years has been devoted to another need which literally took flight last weekend. A couple other loose ends to tie up, then it's back on this old girl till completion.

More to come. Sorry for the delay.

JAM

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: