Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally, again - twomonkeysayoyo's resurrection post
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to pull the motor tomorrow. Building a motor sled for ease of removal and replacement, first. Then I will see if motor makes that noise while not attached to transaxle. I guess I'm hoping it's the throw-out bearing or something like that...
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running a GOOD fuel pressure regulator with that pump?
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while the fuel pressure regulator is the least of my worries at this point I will tell you that I THINK it is good one. http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.p...te64chu8k5 I'm pretty sure I just smashed the little teflon washer too much.
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we're back...

Pulled motor and, after some research, found that I did not remove the collar for the Pressure Plate that is on there for early model transaxles. See the damage and resolution here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5804200#5804200
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twomonkeysayoyo wrote:
while the fuel pressure regulator is the least of my worries at this point I will tell you that I THINK it is good one. http://www.chircoestore.com/catalog/product_info.p...te64chu8k5 I'm pretty sure I just smashed the little teflon washer too much.

Thats one of those cheap chrome ones is it not? Invest in a good one or put in a stock pump shimmed to give you 2.5-3psi or you will never get those carbs to run right.

Glad you found your screeching issue!
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I don't know about cheap, it was the most expensive one I could find. Maybe if you show me what you mean by a 'good one'... seriously, I have bought the best one I know how to.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got it from Chirco than you may be ok. I'd put a fuel pressure gauge between the regulator and carbs and see what kind of pressure you are actually getting from it. It may be fine the way it is.

I'd get a good Holley one like this:
http://www.boatersland.com/hly12-804.html?gclid=CNDh2_T63q0CFQmd7Qod2UNqnA

Not trying to nitpick you or anything, just want to save you the hassle of chasing tuneability problems/bad milage/poor performance down the road. Car is looking good!
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I actually picked it up at Summit Racing... anyway, I've got a vacuum gauge for this level of psi and the pump ran Kadrons fine (I had mounted this under the gas tank so the thieves did not get away with it) so I'm hoping I've got it covered. Will find out this weekend probably.

After we got the motor in last night we couldn't get the thing to crank again. Weirdest crap. It would turn over with real fire, we checked coil, etc... finally pulling a plug to see if we'd fouled them. They were fine, and then we checked fire at the plug. I went to cranking and my helper said "it only fired once". huh? So we pulled points, etc... and, the timing was only set statically at this time, go to check the timing again or give it some advance. With the Dist Cap off, I say "Turn it till we're on ONE" and he goe to turning it and the rotor is not turning with it. Double Huh? Anyway, the distributor at some point had come up out of it's slot and was not turning all the time. Crammed it back in, re-timed it (statically 10*) and VROOOM - put put put. Idle all the way up, clearly not firing on all cylinder. Terrible stuttering. We are both thinking one is fouled or something when finally I look down and 4's wire is hanging down by the valve covers. Plug that in, and NOW it RUNS. Haven't had anymore issues and can probably get to tuning for real, now.

So anyway...
Get to go pick up my kids for the weekend and we'll be working on it and bottling our first batch of beer. Very excited about the way the car tuned up last night, but still worried about the clutch adjustment (which hasn't been done at all other than to take most of the slack of the cable before motor installation). The pedal still goes to the ground pretty easily, and it's a Kennedy Stage 1 + Kush-Lock. I wouldn't think that would be such a light feel throughout the range. I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn't stop thinking about what I might done wrong THIS TIME that's going to have that motor back off. I guess it doesn't matter much, we've got the procedure down to a science. If only I could remember to get that 5/16 allen socket for that top bolt. Doing it by allen wrench is a nightmare, especially with the heater-boxes in place.
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car drove this weekend. Just around the back yard and I clearly have some carb tuning issues to work out but it drove. For the first time in nearly a year it went under it's own power and, for the first time in 20 years it went confidently.

Landmark Drive into Garage Under it's OWN power. The car and garage have been properly introduced now. Also, the ass end sticks out the garage door so I can tune the motor properly without passing out and dying of exhaust fumes.

Now looking at it it is clear I did not adjust the rear end properly as we sag a bit to the driver's side on the rear.

Left to do (before serious work can start [PRIORITY 1: car that goes on street]):
    New Ignition switch
    Fix rear butt sag
    fab up the trunk area for more weather proofness, cargo protection
    fab up the dash protector
    wire the lights
    fit new tilt front end
    bend out wonkiness of rear cage
    mount oil filter to rear cage
    seal sunroof again
    Heater Box Hoses
    Fuel Pressure Regulator Mounting
    affix the fuel line so no rubbing on metal

twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrote Steve Sandlin about a new ignition switch that can match my keys, fairly excited about that. Pulled door handle and got key code for the one remaining key that I have and will get him that info tomorrow.

I'm going to pull my pedal assembly and make sure I didn't screw up my clutch hook, I have screwed the clutch cable all the way in and still have about two inches of free play. So I'll pull the clutch pedal and replace the cable.

Took the tops off my HPMX 44's tonight, also, so I can set the floats. They were NOT what I have read they should be.

before ( less than 5mm )
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after ( 11mm )

twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I checked my fuel pressure WITHOUT my regulator and it is a steady 3lbs. Nice! I couldn't ever tune the #2 so I pulled my carbs apart and believe I found the issue... see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496804&start=8 for details.
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the carbs back on the car after re-assembling them post cleaning/disassembly/adjustment. I'm going to pull the pedals tonight and verify the integrity of the clutch hook and replace the clutch cable. Hope to tune the motor again, also, and get it running PROPERLY.
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After disassembling the two carbs and cleaning them, setting float and blowing out all holes the car tunes up pretty nice. I put return springs on each carb to stiffen the accelerator pedal. I also pulled the clutch cable and put a new one in. What a bitch...

ALSO, and this is very exciting for me, tested out the welder I bought a year ago. It works and I got some nice beads and strong welds out of it after about an hour of futzing. I can start mounting light tabs and other crap, repair the clutch hook, running bead on the suspension seams, etc... now. Just waiting on a new tilt front end. Then it's wiring and the road, see if it does anything funky and then taking it to the dirt.
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, beware the fuse panel when changing the clutch cable:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=498155
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave my (almost) 12yr old some quick and dirty MIG lessons, and we melted metal together. Removed the pedal cluster for some refurbishing, welded some metal into the clutch hook. I'll get the cluster cleaned up, painted and greased and back in very soon.

I put the new ignition tumbler in, also. I can't tell you what a difference a quality tumbler makes in the feel of the car. It's really indescribable the difference between that German click and the Chinese squish. Also, now the car cranks by key, which is another bonus of the German manufacture.

Got the timing correct for sure, and the carbs tuned as well as they will.

For the first time in FOREVER I feel like things are really starting to come together and move forward. It is pretty damn exciting.
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New baby: BORN (It's a girl!)
Hops: Growing
Baja Bug: Nearly Ready...

I figure I've got about 5 bolts left to go. Wiring seems good, hood is properly mounted, interior is a go, motor runs. I haven't been able to actually open it up yet...

Have a look at the motor and see if you see anything terrible wrong...

Here is the trunk area:

Sitting with her new Megawarrior: (I had just re-adjusted that side torsion so it's on jackstands)

tdonaldson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! I've been following your thread for a while. I'm excited to see everything coming together on the car (and in general) for you!
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy birthday for your daughter!!!

Cograts to mom and dad!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olmer2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the little one!!! It's good to see the forward momentum of your Baja as well!
74 bug http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547777
twomonkeysayoyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven her to work for a week, so I can safely say at this point that we have entered a new phase in the car's life... one of driving it. Lord it's been a long path. 20 years now since the last registration (the sticker is still on the windshield '92!) she's back!

If there was a stupid thing that could go wrong, it happened or I did it. THe latest of which is using the front tire to punch out the headlight...

Bought some $9 lights at Harbor Freight I will mount. I'll get pictures up soon enough but here she is in her current form...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: