Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

That mirror could probably be sold for $50. It might be a little tougher to tie your tie before work in the morning without that full-length mirror though.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Oh my, why, why WHY!?!?!? I see an ad for a Westy that I have been trying to get the present owner NOT to sell, I really want him to keep it so his kids can grow up in it!!! He admitted that his youngest was conceived in it! Now I see it on the list, and I am so very sad. I will take a look at it tonight, maybe I can get him to take the $'s I just got selling my '67 DBL... It is not what he is asking Sad

I had hoped to convert the $'s for the DBL into a Subaru project for my '87, but perhaps this is too good a chance to keep the Westy local for the time being.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

I hear ya I really hate seeing those classified images with a young happy family someplace not a mall or parking lot..

heck I even feel bad for the dogs when people sell 'their' van.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Ya, this one is a total beauty, very slight seam rust, maybe one tiny dent, and is exactly what I have always wanted.... the newest iteration of the Vanagon (not a syncro, but hey, I didn't figure I'd get that lucky) Its got the front spoiler, the rear window vents, everything I've wanted. And YES, it had a dog too. That is part of the reason he is selling it... the dog got up in the top when owner was outside, and tore through the canvas to jump out. Then the top seal came loose, so both needing replacement. Also, he needs my engine, when I go to the EJ22 sitting in my yard. All in all, I'd much rather have his rig with my engine, and let the 'still new to me' '87 go... It will take every penny of my DBL sale to get the '87 done right. SO, if I just put my engine in his rig, maybe someone out there would take my '87 off my hands. OR, better yet, maybe I could hold on to both of them somehow. Time are rough tho, seriously rough. I'd say that for the vast majority of Vanagon owners out there, we are the class who is getting squeezed lower and lower -- soon to be truly lower class, rather than almost middle class.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Ya, this one is a total beauty, very slight seam rust, maybe one tiny dent, and is exactly what I have always wanted.... the newest iteration of the Vanagon (not a syncro, but hey, I didn't figure I'd get that lucky) Its got the front spoiler, the rear window vents, everything I've wanted. And YES, it had a dog too. That is part of the reason he is selling it... the dog got up in the top when owner was outside, and tore through the canvas to jump out. Then the top seal came loose, so both needing replacement. Also, he needs my engine, when I go to the EJ22 sitting in my yard. All in all, I'd much rather have his rig with my engine, and let the 'still new to me' '87 go... It will take every penny of my DBL sale to get the '87 done right. SO, if I just put my engine in his rig, maybe someone out there would take my '87 off my hands. OR, better yet, maybe I could hold on to both of them somehow. Time are rough tho, seriously rough. I'd say that for the vast majority of Vanagon owners out there, we are the class who is getting squeezed lower and lower -- soon to be truly lower class, rather than almost middle class.

man... if it's the one I saw just pop up a little bit ago, I'm a little sad...

The one I'm thinking looks like it's in perfect condition, even knowing it needs a new engine (or at least serious work on the engine it has.)

It's a slick looking rig... and for the price I considered it... but I need something with at least a semi-workable engine.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

This is the one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1914341

I picked my kids up after Track practice, and took them to look at it. From about 20 ft it looks like the one I have always wanted, the rear quarter flow vents, whatever those rims are called, I know there is a cool 3 letter name for them, truck mirrors, etc. When I got closer tho, it started looking like I would have to do everything I am planning to my Flossie, and more, plus an immediate engine project, rather than one at my own pace.

I know the guy personally, I've been coaxing him to hold on to it, and still want him to. BUT, it will make someone very happy after they do every window lip, the kitchen panel, strip the paint from the top and do it right, sand blast the underside and preserve it better under there, and do a full new paint job. Also, the top canvas, top seals, repair the bunk bed hinge, and more. Im not saying its not worth what he is asking, but my kids even had to put their feet down and say "dad, that one is going to be too much work." They are very jealous of my time as it is already, and I already have my main project (the '87) the '74 ghia, the '65 deluxe and the '63 notch that deserve to be ahead of yet another rig.

IF anyone wants me to get more details, or take some pix, the rig was outside of its garage as of this morning...

Truly, someone with ambition should grab this rig. Its not a good one for a newb, but its still fairly nice. Also, I know the guy has put a ton of bux into getting it as far as he did, and is still paying for the two shops that diagnosed the problem with the engine incorrectly last summer/fall, but still did all kind of work on it to try to make it run. Ended up being the mains, which would require a split the case job, and he has to let go. He is my friend, so I hope he can sell if for what he has into it.

I'd still rather help him do the work himself, he is used to working with his hands, and handles tools very well. He is just a 2nd time dad as of a couple weeks ago, and I am sure his wife is just too impatient. She is a sweet gal and all, but hey, Im sure everyone knows how that can go!
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
This is the one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1914341

I picked my kids up after Track practice, and took them to look at it. From about 20 ft it looks like the one I have always wanted, the rear quarter flow vents, whatever those rims are called, I know there is a cool 3 letter name for them, truck mirrors, etc. When I got closer tho, it started looking like I would have to do everything I am planning to my Flossie, and more, plus an immediate engine project, rather than one at my own pace.

I know the guy personally, I've been coaxing him to hold on to it, and still want him to. BUT, it will make someone very happy after they do every window lip, the kitchen panel, strip the paint from the top and do it right, sand blast the underside and preserve it better under there, and do a full new paint job. Also, the top canvas, top seals, repair the bunk bed hinge, and more. Im not saying its not worth what he is asking, but my kids even had to put their feet down and say "dad, that one is going to be too much work." They are very jealous of my time as it is already, and I already have my main project (the '87) the '74 ghia, the '65 deluxe and the '63 notch that deserve to be ahead of yet another rig.

IF anyone wants me to get more details, or take some pix, the rig was outside of its garage as of this morning...

Truly, someone with ambition should grab this rig. Its not a good one for a newb, but its still fairly nice. Also, I know the guy has put a ton of bux into getting it as far as he did, and is still paying for the two shops that diagnosed the problem with the engine incorrectly last summer/fall, but still did all kind of work on it to try to make it run. Ended up being the mains, which would require a split the case job, and he has to let go. He is my friend, so I hope he can sell if for what he has into it.

I'd still rather help him do the work himself, he is used to working with his hands, and handles tools very well. He is just a 2nd time dad as of a couple weeks ago, and I am sure his wife is just too impatient. She is a sweet gal and all, but hey, Im sure everyone knows how that can go!

yup... that's the one...

If it had even a half reliable engine, I'd have already sent him a message, glad he's honest and admits it's needing one.

Sad to hear it went that way regardless. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Just got a text from him, he is a great guy. Yes, he is completely up-front on all the details, every time. And he really doesn't want to sell it. Im still on-board helping him put my engine in there, I just need to get my butt in gear on my EJ22. Then I will also help him do kitchen-out, rust in quarter project. Luckily, I went to body school after graduating 4-year college, and am glad I did. It has helped tons on my various projects. I got plenty of skills, but not enough time. Doing Tech for a mid size college and three kids... On-cal jobs can really suck the life out of a guy.
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

After getting rebuffed today on what was likely a fair price given all the issues... "Hah, no way! If I don't sell it for $x I'll just do all those things you pointed out needing addressed and sell it for $25k".

Umm, ok. If you did that for the difference in your asking and my offer as implied, you should hop on that right now as it would be a huge ROI for you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
docj78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1917400

Crazy. An unfinished project for 79k??????????
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

docj78 wrote:

To each his own, but wow $79k for a 1987 Vanagon who a thunk?
highsierra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

docj78 wrote:

Yeah you'd think for $79.9k you'd get a complete interior. It does look like a nice build so far though....
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

At least when you spend that kind of money From GW or the many other quality camper builders they won't deliver it with missing cabinets and a different color outside then inside.
If people are going to use GW a benchmark, they should at least come up to their build status.
Some people are asking Crazy prices, I feel like E mailing them all and asking them to post the actual sell prices.
We can dream can't we ?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
At least when you spend that kind of money From GW or the many other quality camper builders they won't deliver it with missing cabinets and a different color outside then inside.
If people are going to use GW a benchmark, they should at least come up to their build status.
Some people are asking Crazy prices, I feel like E mailing them all and asking them to post the actual sell prices.
We can dream can't we ?

Stacy

Constantly... I'd kill for a single page reference of vehicles/condition/and what they actually sold for vs what they were listed.

Seller's market :\

WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Nothing like asking $40K ish for a Syncro Westy and providing no pictures and little detail.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/5554950826.html
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Once it sits for a while and he gets closer to a realistic price, he may have to think pictures. Right now he is counting his cash because these are worth 50K and he is only asking below 40k.
Again, it would be nice to know what they actually sell for.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
decreed_it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Appreciate some help from the Vanagon gurus here, I'm in the market, looking at this only for education purposes:

https://savannah.craigslist.org/cto/5544452206.html

Trying to gauge pricing - too high? Just right? Surely not too low!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

newWorldTdi wrote:
Appreciate some help from the Vanagon gurus here, I'm in the market, looking at this only for education purposes:

Without going into why, I'd say that's AT LEAST two times the price.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

levi wrote:
newWorldTdi wrote:

Without going into why, I'd say that's AT LEAST two times the price.

Hmm, haven't seen too many, if any, good Subaru swaps in the $13k - $14k range.

It does "feel" a little high from my own research for a Westy but that's not from any concrete experience with a conversion.

Having a '98 subaru outback as my daily driver I can say however I'd doubly make sure that engine has had the head gaskets redone as well as timing belt and water pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
decreed_it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

OK Next one - trying to gauge pricing, maybe this is an OK deal, maybe not . . .

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/5558521974.html

Interested in that one if the price is right;
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 75 of 137

Jump to: