Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'58/'59 Beetle Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I'm looking for pics and measurements of the accelerator cable sleeve and spring for a March '58 36hp engine. I have two different length sleeves and two different length springs.
The sleeves I have are ~64mm in length and ~55mm in length.
The springs I have are ~140mm in length (thicker wire diameter, tighter coil), and ~109mm in length (thinner wire diameter, not coiled as tightly).
I know which tube is correct, so I'm set on that part. I posted some pics in the gallery for reference.
Thanks for any help.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
63CabDriver wrote:
sunroof wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This car was produced during the second week of August 1957 and had '57 style brakes.

Don

Is the first four digits on your VIN number earlier or later than mine (1607)?

I sold that car to a friend who needed a chassis for a 58 rag. I can ask him to get the VIN.

Don

Don
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

'59 Fjord Blue Ragtop: Missing original fenders and hood Sad

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone have an example of a 58-59 horn?

I assume they were screw terminal like everything else?

Pictures?
"Perfection through inspection."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bavarian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Just starting on my L245 '58..

[/img]
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Nice! What's the story on her? Got anymore pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Since nobody posted in a while I thought I would share
My chrome before

My chrome after
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Nicely done! Where'd you get it done?

Same shot, got mine at Decorative Industrial Plating in Helena, MT

I did not get my arm rest trim piece chromed as I believe originally that was polished aluminum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone have an excellent example of original light beige headliner?

Top is Sewfine and is a bit too ivory. WW (middle) and Lenny (bottom) are a bit too beige.

Here is one I found at SMS Auto Fabric, I like the color but have nothing to compare it too. On the side is the original color card for my color car, but it is just a picture so....

Thoughts?
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

OLDveedubs wrote:

Same shot, got mine at Decorative Industrial Plating in Helena, MT

I did not get my arm rest trim piece chromed as I believe originally that was polished aluminum.

Did you also have them do your plate frame? And if so, how did it turn out? Im looking for a good shop to rechrome a couple of plate frames I have.
I actually don't want them over chromed either, as originally they would have been cheaply chromed. Im looking for like a one dipper.... Laughing
OLDveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I did not. I'm not really at that final parts and pieces stage quite yet. I think I want to drive around a bit and worry about the small details later.

BUT, here is a good thread I found.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?81310-License-Plate-Frame-Restoration-
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

OLDveedubs wrote:
I did not. I'm not really at that final parts and pieces stage quite yet. I think I want to drive around a bit and worry about the small details later.

BUT, here is a good thread I found.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/showthread.php?81310-License-Plate-Frame-Restoration-

Thanks for the link! Cool
Jgowin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

OLDveedubs wrote:
Thanks! I got it done though a locally owned auto parts store here in north ga. I think they do most of the prep work and send it to a larger shop in Chattanooga Tenn though.

Mine looked like it had the same plating that you see on popouts and original trim, it was peeling really bad, I had 2 of them and both were rough, the only issue is metal this thin is hard to do anything with. I sent the worst one and figured if it had issues I would figure some thing out on the other.
Lucis Abril
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

I have a 58 beetle with a 2276 extended stroke big bore and dull carb Weber's. I'm currently dealing with back fire problem on deceleration in 2nd gear. It's also back fires extremely lightly on idol. I'm thinking there's an intake leak what do you think? If so where would the most common place be for an intake leak.

Here's a list of everything that's been checked and put the speck.
-carbs (all synchronised) (rebuild & rejetted)
-stacks
-coil
-distributor
-grounds and wiring
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-timing
-rocker arms
-exhaust
-added breather box
YASHA7FOLD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Lucis Abril wrote:
I have a 58 beetle with a 2276 extended stroke big bore and dull carb Weber's. I'm currently dealing with back fire problem on deceleration in 2nd gear. It's also back fires extremely lightly on idol. I'm thinking there's an intake leak what do you think? If so where would the most common place be for an intake leak.

-stacks
-coil
-distributor
-grounds and wiring
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-timing
-rocker arms
-exhaust
-added breather box

It may be just running rich. Here are a few things to check. Re-sync the carbs again. Make sure the engine is nicely warmed up and detach all the linkage to the carbs during the sync. If that doesn't help make sure your jetting matches in bothe carbs. If they do you may have to look into are-jetting the carbs.
Lucis Abril
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

YASHA7FOLD wrote:
Lucis Abril wrote:

-stacks
-coil
-distributor
-grounds and wiring
-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-timing
-rocker arms
-exhaust
-added breather box

It may be just running rich. Here are a few things to check. Re-sync the carbs again. Make sure the engine is nicely warmed up and detach all the linkage to the carbs during the sync. If that doesn't help make sure your jetting matches in bothe carbs. If they do you may have to look into are-jetting the carbs.

I've adjusted every single possible variation in adjustments and no matter how much I give it or starve it, it still continues to do that. It also starts to feel like its running on 3 cylinders during my test drives. It starts off fine then I end up having to go back because I loose a bunch of power
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

Any way to tell if a car is fjord blue or capri blue? Like date or vin? The colors are very similar and Im also curious why VW, with the limited color selection they had for '59, why they would choose to have two shades of blue very close alike.
bavarian1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

A few more of the work in progress..

stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

ExtremeBean wrote:
Any way to tell if a car is fjord blue or capri blue? Like date or vin? The colors are very similar and Im also curious why VW, with the limited color selection they had for '59, why they would choose to have two shades of blue very close alike.

Capri was used both in 58, and in 59, but fjord was a 59 only color. So, obviously if its a 58 its going to be Capri, but if its a 59, well, you either have to know your colors 100%, the looking with the naked eye, or get a birth cert to be 100%. Wink
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: '58/'59 Beetle Discussion Reply with quote

bavarian1 wrote:
A few more of the work in progress..

Awesome, I loving seeing other L245 cars. Keep the updates coming!!

Hey, if you ever want to sell that hood script, hit me up. Very Happy Wink Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Jump to:
Page 122 of 148

Jump to: