Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'62 accelerator cable
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: '62 accelerator cable Reply with quote

Am I correct in assuming that the accelerator cable should just rub across the transaxle between the tunnel and the back of the fan shroud in this year? Can I adapt a later cable conduit to this car so the pedal will depress a bit more easily?

thanks
-Matt
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct.

The later style tubes were used with the stranded style cables, I think I tried one once on my 62 but couldn't get it to work good. But then again, on my 62 the cable doesn't rub. (although I've seen customer cars where it did, even seen grooves worn from the cable)

factory photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 62 and my 61-body/66frame Baja, neither rub. (looks like I need new rubber boots on both of mine though)

-Andy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.

I'll have to see what I can do to reduce the rub.
Insaniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO of my car put the accelerator cable through some tubing where it exits all the way to the piece that fits through the fan shroud.
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess it's on my car (a '62), but it's for '66 and later cars..

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=131721551
It's the Accelerator Cable bowden tube as displayed in this page from WWest

Note the flared end nearest the bottom of the picture.. This will mate up with the tube that goes through the fan shroud.

close up..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's mid-66 and later, when they changed everything - the pedal cluster, the type of cable, the return spring setup at the carb.
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
That's mid-66 and later, when they changed everything - the pedal cluster, the type of cable, the return spring setup at the carb.

this is true, and I didn't know it as it was supplied to me by the guy who built my longblock. It's nice protection for the cable though, and you can use all the original spring stuff too, at least I had it on my car with the 34 PICT carb.
westmatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="hemifalcon"]Well, I guess it's on my car (a '62), but it's for '66 and later cars..

Thanks, that looks like the ticket. I'll have to see if I can fit one of those to my car, too.
hemifalcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="westmatt"]
hemifalcon wrote:
Well, I guess it's on my car (a '62), but it's for '66 and later cars..

Thanks, that looks like the ticket. I'll have to see if I can fit one of those to my car, too.

No problem, if it helps, i'm glad I could help! I just don't like the idea of a bare cable running in the wind for it to rust or whatever.. Good luck!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if I ever tried mine or not, I have one, I thought about putting it in and I may have but I know it didn't stay on, it's in one of many boxes of parts I have set aside. I think the solid wire cable in that flex tube is not the greatest combination. Let us know if you get it to work good.
-Andy
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my '63 I put the bowden tube with the original style cable (solid).

The pedal seems to be harder to push, and I'm thinking the bowden is wrong for the original cable; it does not go freely in the tube.

I will try to remove the bowden and to check the stiffnes.

I presume the cable will not touch the gearbox because in a 6V the entry point in the fan house is more central than in a 12V.

I just have to try...
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used a length of plastic tubing, around 1/4" dia. It isn't tight against the frame or shroud, so it can move around a bit. I have a nice smooth pedal action.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 1 parts manual:

111 721 551
Protective tube - Accelerator cable
from Chassis No. 3 192 507 (AUG 1960)

Before that date VW bolted on a kind of paper clip looking bracket to the nose cone keep the cable from slicing into the transaxle.

There were different lengths over the years of this tube. Have had to shorten some of the later ones to fit pre-1968 buses by working off the steel rear end and cutting down the flex tubing. Then work back on the steel piece.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've tested my pedal without the bowden tube and it works very well.

So I've proved that the solid cable into the bowden tube do not work together.

But I can notice a slight rubbing on the gearbox.

My '63 mounts a 1974 gearbox; could be this the problem?

Eric, do you have a pic of the item you are talking about?

I have the bowden tube, but I'm sure it is for 66 and newer models.

And: where is now the original protective tube you are referring? Is this a ligh plastic thing that, after 40+ years, has gone worn and destroyed?

Thank you

Simone
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early style.

Later style that has metal ends swedged onto a tube made of inner and outer plastic liner with spiral metal tube sandwiched in between. So no wimpy plastic to just disappear.

Have been using a solid metal accelerator cable with the tube in our 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion for about 250,000 miles with no problem.

Wondering if you have the body to engine tin seal not cut correctly for the cable/tube to work.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '63 has a VIN 5 478 305, so is later than the part "111 721 551
Protective tube - Accelerator cable" you posted before; so it should be present, right?

Using the bowden tube the main issue is a 'bend' between the tunnel and the fan shroud, so the cable comes as "shorted" and the accelerator pedal has to work in a quasi vertical position at idle.

In this position the hook on the cable enters in the tube (in the tunnel) and this is another cause of stiffnes.

Anyway, I made my 2 cent proof: out of car, the solid cable into the bended bowden tube (well lubricated): it does not run well, seems to rub to something.

The same bowden tube with a strained cable: it moves freely, as on a modern Shimano bycicle brake, no matter how much the bowden is bended.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Using the bowden tube the main issue is a 'bend' between the tunnel and the fan shroud, so the cable comes as "shorted" and the accelerator pedal has to work in a quasi vertical position at idle.

Thus the need to shorten the accelerator boden tube if a later longer than was originally used tube in the earlier VW.
Did this for our 1960 walk thru panel camper conversion, and works perfect with solid accelerator cable.
Takes a little time to work off the rear swedged end of the tube. Then cut shorter the flex tube, and then work back on the metal rear of the boden tube.
Result is the accelerator cable is not "shortened" due to the accelerator boden tube.
buggeezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my cable housing from icemaker tubing and fittings. I tried 2 housings, used, and the rust inside caused binding. No new housing is listed for my 1965 that I could find. You actually could make that icemaker tubing look more original by covering with electrical tape or fuel line. Mine works just fine now!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shawnrogan65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '62 accelerator cable Reply with quote

I just installed an accelerator guide tube/bowden tube on my '65 T1 with a stranded, new cable. I am experiencing a bit of "stickiness" whereby the throttle does not close up quickly after letting off the pedal. I lubed the cable slightly and assured a good fitting between the pan and the firewall. I am wondering if perhaps the return spring on the carb needs to be stronger with the bowden creating some additional tension?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: '62 accelerator cable Reply with quote

shawnrogan65 wrote:
I just installed an accelerator guide tube/bowden tube on my '65 T1 with a stranded, new cable. I am experiencing a bit of "stickiness" whereby the throttle does not close up quickly after letting off the pedal. I lubed the cable slightly and assured a good fitting between the pan and the firewall. I am wondering if perhaps the return spring on the carb needs to be stronger with the bowden creating some additional tension?

Did you grease up the entire cable?

Have you taken apart the accelerator pedal linkage for a greasing and/or replacing parts?

Have you been oiling up the throttle shaft now and then, especially when you have pulled the dip stick out?

Stock return spring should work fine unless it has been damaged.

Do you maybe have the cable adjusted too tight? You really do not need 100% throttle action, unless you are drag racing.

Which type of the springs are you using? On the carb or on the cable? Might help to post images to see if there is something visibly wrong.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: