Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Birth Certificates
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I ordered 3 - one for my single cab, one for my deluxe, and one for my friend's standard. I ordered them on January 13th (a Saturday, so effectively the 15th) and got them February 10th.

Bad news: My '1957' Deluxe is actually considered a 1958 by the birth certificate people.
Good news: The engine is indeed the original
But it gets a two-page birth certificate, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My single cab is registered as a 1956, but is considered a 1957.

And the standard

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered my 1961 Beetle Convertible BC on 1/6/2024, received 1/27/2024.

Learned something new.. Option code M912 ...never knew that chromium fender beadings were an option for convertibles... Cool ...
Would be interesting to see with its Ruby Red paint color IMO Think

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66foot Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

René -

That makes a lot more sense - shipped to San Francisco on 03.14.72.

Thanks...Pat
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

66foot wrote:

My Super Beetle was born on 03.09.72.
Delivered to San Francisco on 03.14.72.
Note: That seems like a quick delivery from Germany to San Francisco.

They may have changed the format and/or text since I last ordered one. The last one I got, in 2015, listed the dates as "Built On" and "Left the Factory On." So it was a ship date, not a delivery date. (Mine also shipped to San Francisco.)

That makes a lot more sense as it's easy to imagine it taking 5 days from completion to loading on a ship, but very hard to imagine a ship going from Germany to San Francisco, via the Panama Canal, in 5 days.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

66foot, very nice! I wish someone could Help Me Understand how VW can't identify SO many of the M codes. I have three on one of my '75s that can't be identified
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66foot Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

We have owned our 1972 Super Beetle for 22 years.

We are the second family to own the car.

Although I have many original documents such as the purchase invoice, the Monroney window sticker, the owners manual, the sales brochure, and many repair invoices, none of them listed the engine number.

Therefore, I decided it was time to order the Birth Certificate.
Ordered on 01.01.24.
Received on 01.24.24.

My Super Beetle was born on 03.09.72.
Delivered to San Francisco on 03.14.72.
Note: That seems like a quick delivery from Germany to San Francisco.

I am happy to see that the AE engine number that I submitted to Classic Parts did match the VIN and engine number on file in the VW Archive records. Very Happy

The special configuration M-codes listed several that could be identified.
Like M-290 - Looks like I will have to find some rear mud flaps.

However, a few M-codes were considered indefinite:

F01
M247
M534
M698
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

I ordered mine on Nov 28th and got it on Dec 10th.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

An update for those looking for the latest delivery times. I ordered one for my '75 convertible on November 18th and I just received it today, quicker than expected! One little surprise is that it has the original engine and was delivered in San Antonio Texas, which would explain the solid body. One detail that's a little confusing is that it lists the tire size as 5.60-15 whitewalls. Weren't all later cars 6.00-15 or was it either/or? If anyone knows please let me know
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Quote:
I just ordered one on November 18th for my '75 convertible. Did not have this issue. Last one I ordered took months, hopefully this one arrives as quickly as others here lately.

I just tried again and was able to order normally. Thanks for confirming.
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

FritzCP wrote:
Trying to order another BC but the USA is not listed in the dropdown to check out or advance the cart. anyone else having this issue? Only European countries are listed.
I just ordered one on November 18th for my '75 convertible. Did not have this issue. Last one I ordered took months, hopefully this one arrives as quickly as others here lately.
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Trying to order another BC but the USA is not listed in the dropdown to check out or advance the cart. anyone else having this issue? Only European countries are listed.
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ordered one October 8th and it arrived on October 28th, fastest I’ve ever received one after ordering.
Danny79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Ok, submitting one for a October 1956 sunroof bug. Let's see, I am curious as to what color it was.
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Very Happy
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

May must have been one of those odd months for VW, I’ve got a 56 bus that according to the Vin and the charts here on thesamba should be mid May but the Birth certificate lists it as first week of June.
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Thanks KTPhil. Your explanation makes sense and is probably the the best we're going to get. If we did a survey we might find that most Birth Certificate "Date of Manufacture" would not match the door decal.
As you say, it's the VIN and the month built that matter.

Thanks to you both for your insight and help with this.
Brian
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Bugone wrote:
Harry, I think you are correct in saying they are using the European date format. I note that at the top of this page there is a picture of a certificate for a 1965 VW Kombi which is spelled out as Manufactured Date 9th September 1965, Delivery Date 10 September 1965.
Assuming VW used the European Date format for my '74 Sun Bug that would make sense: Manufactured on June 4th and Delivered on June 12th.

Still I wonder why the door decal says 05/74?

Brian

Speculating, but since chassis number is used to truly identify a car, the 5/74 date (very late May?) may have been when the chassis number got assigned and construction begun, even though it took another week to manufacture the car and then have a doorjamb/dash/frunk to affix tags to.

The later delivery date could be due to it traveling first to a overseas shipper (even if "owned" by VW), then to a USA distributor, and thereafter to one or more dealers on its way to the final sale location.
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Harry, I think you are correct in saying they are using the European date format. I note that at the top of this page there is a picture of a certificate for a 1965 VW Kombi which is spelled out as Manufactured Date 9th September 1965, Delivery Date 10 September 1965.
Assuming VW used the European Date format for my '74 Sun Bug that would make sense: Manufactured on June 4th and Delivered on June 12th.

Still I wonder why the door decal says 05/74?

Brian
Bugone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Good question Harry. The date format on the Birth Certificate is 04.06.1974.
So if that is the European date format it would mean date of manufacture in June.
I thought maybe the date of manufacture on the door decal, 05/74, could be when it entered the U.S., but surely those are applied at the factory.
Additionally, the "Delivery Date" on the Birth Certificate is 12.06.1974.
I assume that means when it was delivered to the U.S. Dealer, but seems like a long time before it arrived in the U.S.

And unless the VIN lists are incorrect on The Samba Technical Page, that shows the VIN to have been manufactured in May of 1974. Of course it's not a huge issue, just interesting it would not match the door decal or the VIN listing.
The reason I was looking into it was that the paint code changed somewhere along about May. Prior to the change the Sun Bug paint code was L98C, then it was changed to L99B. Both can be referred to as Harvest Gold Metallic; L98C can be referred to as Hellas Metallic; sometimes it was referred to as Sun Gold. Just the information on the paint code can get very convoluted for the Sun Bugs!
Are we having fun yet? this is FUN!

Thanks for your reply.
Brian
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Birth Certificates Reply with quote

Bugone wrote:

The door decal says it was built on 05/74 which matches the information on TheSamba VIN lists, but the Birth Certificate states that it was manufactured on 04/06/1974.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this discrepancy?

Thanks, Bugone

I'm wondering if the birth certificate gives the European date format of DD/MM/YYYY and the date it passed quality control while the sticker gives the date it was made, awaiting quality control (perhaps 31/05/74)?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 61

Jump to: