Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

auto kraft vs wolfparts
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwovale56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: auto kraft vs wolfparts Reply with quote

auto kraft vs wolfparts

Can anyone tell me if their repro is comparable? Are the results similar?

Front apron, rear apron, side buttom corners.

thank you

Formerly
Double Cab ( crew-cab ) 1970 Brasilian edition.
2x beetle 1956 rag top euro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Wolf's parts firsthand on a couple occasions. Not a a good replica.... its TOO perfect. Seriously, the fit and finish of his repro panels are second to none. Crisp in every detail. Probably better than the original parts that come out of the presses at Wolfsburg......!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dinsdale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autokraft make lots of excellent parts but their rear valance isn't one of them.

Pete
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is everything I've received from Wolfparts was of excellent quality. His panels are amazing in fit and finish.

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hard to imagine how one could surpass the quality of parts from Wolfparts.....the standard has been set very high!
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
I have seen Wolf's parts firsthand on a couple occasions. Not a a good replica.... its TOO perfect. Seriously, the fit and finish of his repro panels are second to none. Crisp in every detail. Probably better than the original parts that come out of the presses at Wolfsburg......!

johnshenry wrote:
There are some dead on repros of all kinds of parts out there, but as I have said before, a trained eye can always spot them. There will always be some kind of detail that cannot be accurately replicated in metal work that will be a telling point.

Ok I'm confused, between the Gerson fenders thread comment above in the split forum yesterday, and this one here today, would there then be a way or not to "spot" Wolf's aprons on a restored car?

Also, does anyone's trained eye out there know a way or not to spot a KSR W decklid on a restored car? I've asked that question multiple times over the past year but have yet to see/hear an answer. I really don't care at all one way or the other, as I'd use either in a heartbeat on a restoration if needed, just curious, but I'm sure others would like to know too.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM not familiar with wolfparts could someone send me a link to his site? or just tell me where to look THX
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
IM not familiar with wolfparts could someone send me a link to his site? or just tell me where to look THX

http://wolfparts.com/

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx John
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56OvalRHD wrote:
All I can say is everything I've received from Wolfparts was of excellent quality. His panels are amazing in fit and finish.

I agree 100% Very Happy
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen a few and you can tell a KSR decklid by the way it fits the body at the top when closed. There is no way to get the gap even like the OG lids, and its NOT a hinge adjustment issue. If you get a good gap at the top center the ends have a larger gap. If you get the gap right at the edges its too tight at the middle. Its like they got the curve correct to match the shape of the body but not the curve for the shape of the grills.

Ive seen a few of the Gerson ribbed bumpers as well, another "better than wolfsburg" part. The stampings are too clean, almost a 90* stamp where as the original is a bit more rounded at the ribs.

As said above, I would have no problem running these parts! I would rather have better than stock than the empi motto of "close enough"
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
Ive seen a few and you can tell a KSR decklid by the way it fits the body at the top when closed. There is no way to get the gap even like the OG lids, and its NOT a hinge adjustment issue. If you get a good gap at the top center the ends have a larger gap. If you get the gap right at the edges its too tight at the middle. Its like they got the curve correct to match the shape of the body but not the curve for the shape of the grills.

Ive seen a few of the Gerson ribbed bumpers as well, another "better than wolfsburg" part. The stampings are too clean, almost a 90* stamp where as the original is a bit more rounded at the ribs.

As said above, I would have no problem running these parts! I would rather have better than stock than the empi motto of "close enough"

Interesting, thanks for the info, wonder if KSR is aware of that. Thats not an easy adjust in metal work either should someone want that gap right, however practically impossible to spot if a painted one of these is just sitting on a tarp in the swaps.

Perhaps someone at the Classic weekend this year can discreetly and respectfully show me that in person on a restored car, along with how to maybe spot Wolf's aprons on a restored car, that is if they aren't too busy looking at Gerson's awesome fenders. Smile

Again, this is just curiousity, not a prelude to anything else. When you can just more than just speculate about what can be spot, it helps us all figure out the best direction to go with on a project.
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Autokraft make lots of excellent parts but their rear valance isn't one of them

Can anyone expand as to why the rear valance is not a good part from Autokraft? We have considered purchasing this part from Autokraft for a 54 Oval project.
dinsdale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smuenchrath wrote:
Quote:
Autokraft make lots of excellent parts but their rear valance isn't one of them

Can anyone expand as to why the rear valance is not a good part from Autokraft? We have considered purchasing this part from Autokraft for a 54 Oval project.

The one I have didn't fit. At all. The outer skin is OK but the inner panel wasn't the right shape (too long on one side) and didn't sit correctly.

Pete
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoKraft had a stand at one of the VW shows I attended last summer and they had a front and rear valance on display so took the opportunity to have a good look at them.......
Have to say that whilst they were OK,I wasn't too impressed; the pressings just didn't seem to be as crisp as the Wolfparts ones, and for that reason I wouldn't personally use an AutoKraft valance........
Wolfparts items might be 2 x the price of the UK-made repro but I know which I'd fit on any car of mine.............. Wink
vwovale56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

Can anyone post pictures of installed repro parts in that post to compare? Front, rear and rear side corners if available.

Formerly
Double Cab ( crew-cab ) 1970 Brasilian edition.
2x beetle 1956 rag top euro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pic I found in the gallery of a KSR vert lid on a 59.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its hard to see from the angle but if you look closely you can see the gap at the top of the lid. At the center it is VERY close and as you get to the sides the gap is a lot larger. To the average person they would not notice this but to people who "know" its easy to tell.

Overall I think it looks great and I would rather spend the cash on a repro vs. dropping a grand on an og and still have to rework the hinges and 50+ years of dents and rust. Also I would not feel bad about removing the rain guards in a repro lid to clear IDAs Cool
srj1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfsparts hands down!!
thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich's 50 wrote:
56OvalRHD wrote:

I agree 100% Very Happy
ditto. I only wish he was making his aprons when I had my metal work done. Confused
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a rear apron for my 59 Canadian standard which Wolfparts does not make, sadness. I bought his rear bumper bracket mount parts, they fit so perfect I had to adjust some previous bad body work to make it all go together. It was childs play to get the bumper in the right spot even with my bent up rusty old car.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please Mr. Wolf make me an apron!

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: