Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab build Reply with quote

Thanks dawerks,
The plan from the beginning (about 5 years ago!) was to have Seth build a A-arm front end, I am still hoping that will happen.
I have some specific design ideas that the Red Nine does not have and am interested in what Mendeola comes up with but my version would only work with high offset wheels-55et+ to get the longest upper arm and use the later bus ball joint spindles.
I would also use the Porsche 911 steering rack and Vanagon bevel thingy to keep all the parts either V.W. or Porsche.
The auto-x action for now is for rough tuning the spring rates which are close to where I want them at around #300 effective. The last session I also messed with front tire pressure which proved that there was not much to be gained there to get the front to grip but I did manage to cord my tires (too much toe and low tire pressure)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also managed to blow the seals out of the steering dampner-2fast 2frantic Mad !

The present front end is close to maxed out tuning wise except for sway bars (I do not have front or rear bars yet as I was wanting to get the spring rates close first) but am not sure I want to fab one on as it will need to be very different than what would go on the future A-arm suspension and I could leave that to whoever buys my old set-up (tested true at 100+)!
The 944 suspension in the rear is pretty good, tuning wise it is pretty easy as the stock torsion rate is known (#130) and even the shock location lever arm is published (.54) so with my ratio rockers at 1.5 it is just some math, the front end has 4” narrowed bay torsions so that was just a guess. I went with #220 coil-overs at the stock shock location which I taped out to around .70 effective ratio.

I would love to have a dedicated track/fun car like your MR2, as you have noted the best configuration is center mass, r.w.d.! I have been dreaming of a mid-engine Ghia since owning my first one at eighteen.Maybe oneday..
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome build!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Twisted Minis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see so much progress on this still! I am excited to do some more work to this, hopefully in the near future now that I am back in CA.

Looking at the video a few pages back, it definitely looks like sway bars are in order.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab Reply with quote

Happy to have you back Seth!
Yep, there is plenty more to do on the D.C. Before we put on sway bars we need to build a front suspension, I have already been collecting parts.

After that the front cage to tie it all together so I don't have the front doors popping open at the track, new seat mounts, rear seat harness bar and so on....
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: porsche powered mid-engine double cab Reply with quote

Happy to have you back Seth!
Yep, there is plenty more to do on the D.C. Before we put on sway bars we need to build a front suspension, I have already been collecting parts.

After that the front cage to tie it all together so I don't have the front doors popping open at the track, new seat mounts, rear seat harness bar and so on....
vw_speedsterke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

no progress?
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Hey vw speedsterke, thanks for checking in.
Sadly no progress on the 928s4 front suspension swap.
I have been driving it every day and working it hard to make it pay for the shiny Porsche parts.
I did have the stock clutch arm break and decided to go with a plan I had when I started the build, to run new pedal assemblies.
So far just the clutch but when I swap to the 928s4 Brembos I will run a dual M.C. for brake balancing.
I just have it roughed in (no fancy Seth fabbing) till I build the front cage and have a permanent steel mounting plate for both assemblies (hopefully by Seth).

This just reminds me of a Led Zepplin cover.

gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Looking good. The 911 steering rack alone makes a vast improvement. It tracks much better and easier steering.
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks Harold,
I have been checking out your build page on your rack conversion as I have finally scrounged most of the parts to do my 928 s4 front suspension swap.
Thanks to porscheaddic for supplying most of the front end parts.

I will be moving at my standard speed of life pace so no rapid fire progress updates. I am hoping I can get Seth to help in the swap.
I am still figuring out general layout at this point.
Dan.Isdell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Hey I know that guy! I'm in Sebastopol too! I see that AMAZING Crew cab motoring past Hardcore Espresso. I talked to you once, complementing your ride, but I have been admiring it for years. Thanks for the amazing build thread and the photos. Very inspiring.

We should do a meetup at Hardcore sometime, (Molly the owner is a big fan of old VWs.)

See you around town!

Dan
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks Dan for the kind words.
What rig are you driving? would be good to actually stop and have a cup of joe as I am usually just blasting by for work or kid duty. Thanks for the invite.
I remember the single cab out front of the old hardcore and would try to give a wave but usually got stink-eye from the occupants, thinking maybe they did not like my loud/fast doublecab, but then again they do sling coffee.

Stephen
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Truck be broken.

Super bumpy roads and #220 coil-over springs were too much.
Did a 110volt welder fix for the short term and ordered some #100 springs to get back on the road.

Good news is I found some long sought after 3 piece OZ 17" wheels to max out my tire size.
Going with 235x40x17 front and 255x40x17 rear.

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

67dubcab wrote:
Truck be broken.

Looks like your ready yo start with the A-arm suspension..

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

NOW I am ready to start swap.
First I helped a buddy rebuild a 100 year old barn so we could install a used Rotary #9000 two post lift, super handy for the job I have planned.

Next up will be pulling the existing front suspension and laying out the 928s4 A arms and 911 steering rack parts.

brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Popcorn

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

I have been slowly working on the front suspension, figured out the track width to fit the new wheels which will be 8.5"x17" with a offset of -56. this can change as the new wheels are three piece. I plan to run 235/40/17 tires and maximize track width for handling. I ended up cutting 7" out of the center of the 928s4 crossmember, the 928 is a wide car!

The 928s4 came with the big black Brembos, not really needed as the 944s2 little blacks work great, but may be useful on track days.

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Almost have the pick-up points in the right spot.
I had the guy who sold me the suspension cut the front 928 chassis and ship it to have a definitive relative position to transfer to the D.C.

The stock Porsche locations are key for me to be able to keep adjustments in the stock range. I used a bolt in chassis plate to be able to mock up geometry and make changes during tuning phase.

The end 928s4 fitment is not very elegant but not horrible either.

caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

LOOKS GOOD!! when you get the tune set up good you should call up the guys with the race taxi and challenge them to a race
67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

Thanks caleb0101, race taxi would kick my butt, though I can carry more sheets of plywood! Might be a closer match when I build the twin turbo motor,distant future as right now I need to get this rig back on the road and working.

Front suspension bolted up, next is steering rack/column.

67dubcab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche Powered Mid-Engine Double Cab Build Reply with quote

I have decided to go with a VW rabbit steering rack as the pivot points are wider than the 911 rack to get them closer to the lower a arm pivot point to minimize bump steer. Another bonus is the input shaft is offset which will keep the u-joint angles low.
Super bonus was the 82 Rabbit I took it out of had the entire engine bay cleared of parts, just lifted the hood and the rack was the only thing left (Pick and Pull)

Some of the parts to make it work.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: