Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Prospective engine build: 2007
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Well, okay, first problem
Attempting to remove valve springs, could not budge the keepers from the collars. A little persuasive ball peen freed them, but the mushroomed valve stems won't allow the valves to exit the guides. Plus, the intakes appear to be a bit loose and the exhausts are tight. So, looking at new guides and valves. Yeehaw.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

sounds normal to me. Probably not "right" but it happens all the time.
Yes you will have to file the burrs off the keeper groove area to get the valves out. most valves have hard tip inserts now, if the tips are mushroomed you..... had some antique valves? perhaps old manly valves
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Well, the project I had intended on doing before the drag season will continue: ordered the topline disc conversion kit. Will be in Monday- to be installed. The following Saturday.

Now, if I only had a motor to test them out. Soon and very soon.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

This thread has been a fun read!
I've learned a little bit from your ups and downs, and looking forward to seeing how the next iteration goes.
What were your best times with the Kadrons? I'm going to be running Kads on a 1904 for a little while, since I already have them and don't have the extra coin to drop on a set of Webers at the moment.
I'm hoping to get my little ride out on the 1/8th mile tracks near me a little bit, and possibly on 1/4 mile tracks if it does worth a damn.
Are you running full interior and spare tire and all that? Or have you taken a few things out to get weight down? I'll be driving my car on the road quite a bit, but when I am trying to see what kind of times I can get, I'll be removing a few things such as the back seat and trunk goods, and possibly the passenger seat. The cheapest way to adjust power:weight ratio is to drop some poundage.
keep having fun, man!
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Thanks Chief - it's been a fun process. I try not to take things too seriously with the ups and downs - it's all a learning curve, and if i learn on the way (and if someone else can learn from my mistakes) cool.
the car and driver weigh 2100lbs - no spare (I live dangerously) and no bumpers. but full interior, rear speaker deck, etc. I may be taking the rear seat out and exchanging it for a platform, more cause it's easier for the dogs to ride along, but may cut a few lbs.
best time with kads - 16.2 @ 80mph - that was with 40/32 heads (non ported)
installed the 44's - 16.2 82mph - with the same heads.
wasn't till I dropped the $$ for the L-5 heads that times went down by almost 2seconds (that and more seat time at the strip?)
what's your motor combo?

most importantly, have fun.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja

thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

In my 73 standard with 66 fenders, bumpers, aprons.and decklids, my engine combo:

German AS41 small stud, deep stud, dual relief case
AA 74mm counterweighted forged 8 dowel crank
AA lightened forged 13lb 8 dowel flywheel
Stock vw rods
Mahle 90.5's
Stock ported and polished heads with stainless valves, HD single hi-rev springs
CB 2280 cam
Chromoly pushrods
Scat 1.25 ratio rockers
Kadrons
Cheapo Empi 1.5 " merged header with a stinger
I'm hoping for close to 100hp, but we'll see....
Entire rotational assembly dynamically balanced.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Good luck and have fun. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Rev
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

So, top line disc kit installed.
Everything was included and went together smoothly.
Only downside, couldn't push the car fast enough to really sense a difference between the drums and discs.
Guess I'll have to wait till motor is back together to road test.
69 Bwajaja

bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

I had CB's 2.5 inch drop spindles on discs on my '70 Bug with a mild 1776 and the discs made a serious difference in braking. You'll definitely appreciate it with even more power out back.

I have to admire your stick-to-it-iveness as my frustrations in building a 2017 led to me bailing on high-performance VW stuff altogether. I discovered I'm more appreciative of a stock VW engineering. lol.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Heads opened up for the thick walled 92s
Fly cut to 49cc (will double check when valves reinstalled)
Cylinders cut for .04deck - (thanks John)
Shooting for 10.3:1 c/r
I've got Mahler 92 cylinders (2sets- 1used, one new) gonna run wrist pin buttons racking case today to replace bearings and, while I've got the cranks stripped, am installing set of CB straight cuts.
Have new stainless steel valves to lap in and install
Gotta lap the cylinders to the heads.
Then put it all bad together again.

On the chassis side of things- have new rhino trans mounts, rear sway bar (and am ordering a HD front sway bar.
Will be good to go by the 30th ?
Hope springs

Added: grant rings with total seal 2nd.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

So, while I, here, may as well crack the case and replace the bearings. Right?
Sure, why not.
Well?
Upon initial cracking, revealed the cam and lifters were toast- pitted beyond reason- and lobes worn down.. Oops.
Mark from STRICTLY Foreign researched SLR cams and came up with the XV 304. With same lift, a bit more duration, should be very comparable to what I had, plus, when I move to 1.4s- it'll work there, too?

Crank is going down to get turned- rod journals to be polished

Always something to keep life interesting.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Cam and lifters pitted? that NEVER happens on these Rolling Eyes
yeah, ok maybe it happens sometimes. Wink

Scat cam, but what kind of lifters were they? I think if they were scat they'd have pits but the cam would be ok
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

The cam/lifters that were pitted were the chilled iron DRD. Talked to Darren; he gave me a run down of possible factors.
-bad break in
-high oil temps-
-too high RPM
There was another, can't recall right off hand.

The new cam is coming with scat lifters that have been SLR'd

Moving on up.
Gonna be a whole new engine, that's for sure

Rev.
69 Bwajaja

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

What exhaust are you running?

What ignition too and what timing? I was reading the thread and an earlier post you referred to a miss (wonder what the problem was) and a lot of total advance.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

I've played with both 1 1/2" and 1 5/8" merged -

the errant jumping I was reading at the Tach went away when I changed the hot spark back to points in the 050 distributor.
I've got a 009 in now - that's been reliable/solid.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Pulled bearings, crank being turned - will be done mid week.
Cam is on order- will be in mid week.

Installed rear sway bar.
Purchased the necessary installation pieces parts.

Am installing in another case - one that's been prepped by Paradise Motors.
Will have a deep sump (need to get all the requisite studs for this motor. )

Excited to get this back on the road . . . Again. . . .

Rev.
69 Bwajaja

ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:

Mark from STRICTLY Foreign researched SLR cams and came up with the XV 304. With same lift, a bit more duration, should be very comparable to what I had, plus, when I move to 1.4s- it'll work there, too?

I would check on that- most aftermarket cams made for 1.1 rockers, while they may be ok with 1.25's you'll find that adding 1.4's goes beyond safe ramp speeds and valve lift rates. It will work for a while and provide more power in the combo than you've ever seen (I've seen guys do it and they're thinking " holy crap, why doesn't everyone do this?"), but not too far down the road you'll be paying the price. It can ruin a set of heads. Al
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

yeah, Al, I hear you on the question/concern. was surprised to see the SLRs advertised for 1.1 1.25 1.4 rocker assemblies. Iv'e got that question out there waiting to be addressed.
my heads DRD says are good to .600 lift, and with the 1.4 i believe it puts it at .588 - but, we'll jump off that bridge as we get there.

So, just stumbled into an MSD 6AL kit with the distributor and Blaster2 coil and all requisite wires.
so, that'll add a new curve (all pun intended) to how the motor, engine bay, etc is assembled.

thanks for the feedback.

Rev.
69 Bwajaja

Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 : now 2074 Reply with quote

any hints, heads-up, warning about installing MSD?
anything i should be aware of? Blaster2 coil, can it be installed horizontal?

this will be a new venture in this motor
69 Bwajaja

ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Prosspective engine build: 2007 Reply with quote

Mikedrevguy wrote:
yeah, Al, I hear you on the question/concern. was surprised to see the SLRs advertised for 1.1 1.25 1.4 rocker assemblies. Iv'e got that question out there waiting to be addressed.Rev.

Please post what you find out, Mike. And I can't help you with the MSD stuff. Al
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: