Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn Fresh 57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyertim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

hello all. I hate to bring this thread up from the dead, but I wanted my virtual friends to know i'm okay.

many, many heartfelt thanks to everyone for their complements and well-wishes...both in this thread (also, the Motorola radio thread!) and via personal messages.

as confirmed earlier, I sold the car. things weren't going well at work. times have been tough under the current administration... I was having problems getting a paycheck. and there were other problems with my boss.

so the story goes, my boss informed me that he couldn't afford to pay me (after a month of no paycheck)...then in almost the same breath, he told me he bought a shiny, new, red dodge challenger.

that was the last straw. I knew I had to look for another job. so, the first thing I did was sell give away the '57 beetle.

another job opportunity was offered to me in albuquerque, new mexico (where walter white made his meth and where bugs bunny always made a wrong turn). so, I sold almost everything I owned and drove across the country. several vw's are here in NM!

i'm earning a steady paycheck, but I don't have a place (and, especially the tools!) to do another project. sometimes I wish I could find and buy back the '57 to continue the project to completion! it was always a dream of mine to build a car as anally as possible!

lots of luck to everyone's projects. I check up on all of you from time to time. so, i'm always lurking in the shadows!

sincerely, tim

my '57 rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=369883
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

sounds like you're old boss was full of class.....
sucks when real life interferes with our toys. maybe you'll find a real sweatie in the south west that's even better. good luck.
rud helsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

All the best from Belgium!
Hopefully more luck is coming to you in the next years!

I loved the project however...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

I hope you took the Motorola out Tim! If not, why not! BTW, my sister is a metalsmith and she is going to make me up a few of the little center cosmetic trim disks for the 6M radio knobs if anyone is interested. Rob
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

Really good to hear from you, Tim You were always an inspiration to me in my project and I borrowed several of your techniques for metal shaping.

Also: I have a friend who worked in a shop for 20 years fixing foreign cars, he was a trained VW mechanic and had certificates out the yinyang. For years he asked his boss for more money and was always told they couldn't afford to pay him any more. Then one day the boss rolled up in the most expensive MB money can buy and Bill quit on the spot. Walked out in the middle of the day. Opened his own shop and never looked back.

Don
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

I would always have to hunt for this thread as I could not remember the title! - But I always remembered the incredible work and would spend ages pouring through my "watched topics" to find yours.

Fantastic stuff, tough times mean tough decisions and anyone thats had them will understand that.

All I can say is I hope you get stuck into a new project when the time is right - and be sure to pop a link here where we can all find it!

WE ARE WATCHING YOU! Very Happy

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

Been working my way through the thread, certainly gives me inspiration of what can be achieved! Good luck in the future and thanks for sharing your wonderful work!

56' Oval
71' Westy
JanW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Fresh 57 Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know where this car lives now?

Was it ever finished?

Such a lot of wonderful work I am hoping it is a much loved finished car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35
Jump to:
Page 35 of 35

Jump to: