Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '72 Super... ongoing project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
Well...it rained the whole time Razz But I still had a lot of fun, so did my friend who I brought along. The car did great, I just wish my fuel gauge was accurate so I could figure out gas mileage. I ran a container of Techron through the gas on the trip as well and the car seemed to run better when I got home...it definitely seemed to start easier at any rate. But I need to re-bleed the brakes...sometimes I had a firm pedal and other times it would sink down pretty far so there's air in the system somewhere. I'm thinking new soft lines while I'm at it.

I didn't get any pictures but my friend did, I'll try to get them up when I see her next.

Actually I did get one photo, just after the car rolled over 205,000 miles.

Weather was crummy thru the weekend around here also. I "feel your pain" about the inaccurate fuel gauge--I lived with an inoperable one for years in my old '68--I developed a routine of stopping for fillups on certain days of the week, back when I was commuting with it regularly (also kept a small spare gas can in the trunk).

What is the secret about Techron? A lot of my co-workers swear by it also? Is it somehow different from/better than other gas treatments?

Good luck and Happy Volkswagening!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock Steve wrote:
TheRustySuper wrote:
Well...it rained the whole time Razz But I still had a lot of fun, so did my friend who I brought along. The car did great, I just wish my fuel gauge was accurate so I could figure out gas mileage. I ran a container of Techron through the gas on the trip as well and the car seemed to run better when I got home...it definitely seemed to start easier at any rate. But I need to re-bleed the brakes...sometimes I had a firm pedal and other times it would sink down pretty far so there's air in the system somewhere. I'm thinking new soft lines while I'm at it.

I didn't get any pictures but my friend did, I'll try to get them up when I see her next.

Actually I did get one photo, just after the car rolled over 205,000 miles.

Weather was crummy thru the weekend around here also. I "feel your pain" about the inaccurate fuel gauge--I lived with an inoperable one for years in my old '68--I developed a routine of stopping for fillups on certain days of the week, back when I was commuting with it regularly (also kept a small spare gas can in the trunk).

What is the secret about Techron? A lot of my co-workers swear by it also? Is it somehow different from/better than other gas treatments?

Good luck and Happy Volkswagening!

Yeah, if it were my daily I would probably do something about it but as it's not...yeah. Actually that's how a lot of things are on that car. If I drove it every day I would take the time and money to fix/upgrade them, but as it's only my weekend/spare car I really don't see it being worth it. Or maybe I'm just cheap Razz

I'm not sure what the secret with it is. A lot of people use Seafoam, but I was advised against it by someone here on TheSamba...I forget who but they had a lot of experience with VW's so I trust what they said. But they said really strong stuff like Seafoam will break up too much carbon or break it up in large chunks that could damage the motor. So instead I was told to use Techron. And it seems to be working.
fcoloseumr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
Ahmen! I'm 16 and restoring a super too. Laughing I bought mine for $800 (too much) and it doesn't even have an interior or windows! you have a PERFECT interior! Shocked lucky!

I bought myself a '74 Super with no interior, holes through the floors, an engine in pieces, no brakes, no tranny, ETC.... The body was good though...

Still, I loved that car! I had to sell it, I didn't know anything and I was able to do even less. My "new" '73 Standard is better for me. Good luck on yours! I'm glad there's someone our age out there who can handle this shit, gives me hope that Baby will ride again!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5283013#5283013
Check out my artwork here. (Maybe buy something and help rescue my Bug!)
'71 Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
jmsmilin wrote:
Looks clean actually, I wouldnt call it rusty at all, of course Im from the NE. Truthfully though, I wouldnt waste my time with it, sell it, get your $825 back and go take your girlfreind out. Dont waste your time on a flat window super, enjoy that GTI and use your time to do your homework so you can go to school and buy your kid a GTI someday.

Does the license plate light on it work? If not that wire may go to it.

I would NEVER sell that car, I have wanted a Bug for as long as I can remember...and that is the best $825 I've ever spent. That's the car I learned to drive a stick on, and is the car I'm learning mechanics on. So what if it's a Super...they will be rare too someday.
And the license plate light works just fine.

I got my '71 Super When I was 15, it was very rust in the floors but heater channels were good it had a performance 2110 engine that I did my first rebuild on. With this car I learned how to do body work and welding. Now I am 17 and it is now my daily driver and all its needs is some new paint. I originally bought it for $200 spent $300 on mechanical necessities along with scrap metal for some rust holes in the floor and 3 months later its on the highway doing 70 with my learners permeant. Always make sure to change the bushings in the front suspension to get rid of any vibration.
1987 Lincoln Town Car
1971 VW Super Beetle - Pride & Joy of the family
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...as you can see, I haven't been on this forum in a while. I went off to college, and I didn't have the time to work on my Beetle, nor the place to keep it. I kept it at my parents house, and it has been driven once every couple of weeks. However, I've been living with my boyfriend for a year, and we are just about to move into a new apartment. Since I'm officially moved out of my parents house, they figured that I should be keeping my Beetle here in Lexington, where I'm going to school and living. I'll be renting a parking space for it at my new apartment complex, and hopefully will be able to find a storage unit to keep it in before winter comes.

In the interest of safety though, my dad did agree to pay to have some front end work done on the car. Though the rust is as bad as ever, having some new components in the front end will certainly make this a safer car to drive around the city. The car is currently at my VW mechanic's shop, and we should be getting an estimate on the work soon.

I don't have too many plans for it in the immediate future, other than to fix things as they break and keep it on the road. I will need to rebuild or replace the starter soon, as it has been sticking. Mostly I'll just be doing small projects at a time, as budget and time allows. I'm extremely happy to have my car back with me, and I'll be back on the forum regularly soon Smile
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRustySuper wrote:
Well...as you can see, I haven't been on this forum in a while. I went off to college, and I didn't have the time to work on my Beetle, nor the place to keep it. I kept it at my parents house, and it has been driven once every couple of weeks. However, I've been living with my boyfriend for a year, and we are just about to move into a new apartment. Since I'm officially moved out of my parents house, they figured that I should be keeping my Beetle here in Lexington, where I'm going to school and living. I'll be renting a parking space for it at my new apartment complex, and hopefully will be able to find a storage unit to keep it in before winter comes.

In the interest of safety though, my dad did agree to pay to have some front end work done on the car. Though the rust is as bad as ever, having some new components in the front end will certainly make this a safer car to drive around the city. The car is currently at my VW mechanic's shop, and we should be getting an estimate on the work soon.

I don't have too many plans for it in the immediate future, other than to fix things as they break and keep it on the road. I will need to rebuild or replace the starter soon, as it has been sticking. Mostly I'll just be doing small projects at a time, as budget and time allows. I'm extremely happy to have my car back with me, and I'll be back on the forum regularly soon Smile

Good to see you back. Very Happy I've been on and off myself...I've had a lot going on in my life, most of which is not conducive to working on the Beetle! Hope to see more about yours soon.
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some updates...about a month ago I got the front end work done, as well as had a new starter put on it. Though I prefer to do work on this car myself, I really didn't have the time or place to do it. It drives much better now, no more shimmies.

I got it to Lexington without a hitch, and now I've just been doing things as I can afford them and as they go wrong. After discovering that the original CV joints needed replacement, I went ahead and bought all new axles and joints and installed those. I also picked up some bumpers from a car show that still had the original overriders on them...they aren't perfect but I got a good deal on them and they look much better than the ones that were on the car before I painted it. Other than that I'm mostly doing tune-up stuff. It's been so damn hot here these past couple of weeks I haven't had much motivation to work on it though Razz

Got the front bumper on last night. Panicked for a moment when the brackets on the bumper didn't line up with the holes in the fender. Turns out the brackets have to sit slightly wider on a Super than on a Standard (which I suppose these bumpers came off of). But there's an extra set of holes in the bumper to accommodate that so no problems.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The bumpers are rusty on the inside and the brackets aren't perfect, but my apartment parking lot really isn't the best place to be sanding and painting things. I'll do it when I can get it to my parents' garage for a couple of days.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, it looks good. Very Happy
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlebaum wrote:
Man, it looks good. Very Happy

I agree! Very nice!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would just drop in again and let you all know that I haven't dropped off the face of the earth or anything Razz

The Beetle is running just fine, although any restoration progress on it has pretty much stopped for the time being. Between school and work and everything else, I don't much time right now to do extra work on the cars. That being said, the Beetle is running and driving better than ever and I haven't had to do any work to keep it going apart from regular tune-up stuff.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post an update and say the Beetle is still running and driving great! Planning on getting an alignment done here soon, in conjunction with the new rear shocks I've got to install. Also gonna get the weatherstripping I've had laying around installed, don't really have the time or space to do it so I'll likely be paying for someone to install it.

We live in a small apartment close to campus, but since we are graduating in May we hope to move somewhere with a garage, so next winter I plan on starting some much needed rust repair.

As much as I hated driving it in the snow with all the salt on the roads, it was the only car we have that had enough ground clearance to get out on untreated roads with the record 17 inches of snow we got last week and the 15 inches a few weeks ago. Passed several 4x4 SUV's stuck on hills, the Bug just keeps truckin'.

TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

Well I thought I would update since I haven't been on here in a while. I'm now living in Louisville and working at an ad agency, and in all the shuffle of moving and getting a new job I haven't really done much to my Beetle. My GTI got totaled back in December, so there was all that to contend with. I've now got a 2012 VW CC (6 speed!) that I drive daily. I also spend a fair amount of time working on and maintaining my partner's 2005 Passat wagon, a car which I adore.

But back to the Beetle! I haven't driven it the past few months as I unearthed some front end work that needs to be done, including a Standard Beetle steering damper installed in my front end.

As is evidenced by my username, the car has a fair bit of rust. Now I have a garage at my apartment complex, I try to keep it there when it rains and throughout the winter. A full body-off resto would be a bit difficult here, so for the next several years I just plan on fixing the Beetle as things go wrong and drive the hell outta it!

Looks like I need a steering damper, plus some tie rod ends for the front end. Needs a tune up probably, even though it still starts first time every time. Wipers are currently non functional so a rebuild of the motor assembly and linkages is in order. Also want to fix a couple things to make it more pleasant to ride in--such as replace the weatherstripping so it doesn't leak anymore, and the fuel evaporative system so you don't choke on gas fumes when you drive it.

Keep an eye out here for updates in the coming months, I'm saving my pennies and hopefully the Beetle will be back on the road again soon!
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

Well, I said there would be updates and here they are!

Over the past few weeks I've been tinkering away at the Beetle, mostly trying to wrap up the last few things it needs to be a reliable driver, plus installing some parts I had been collecting.

Finally replaced all the fuel evaporative system lines...the gas smell was my boyfriend's number one complaint about riding in the Beetle, so it was time to fix. While I was in there I replaced the under tank fuel hose as it was starting to deteriorate (again). Given the ethanol content of our fuel, looks like I'm going to have to find an alternative to the braided German hose I've been using. I like originality, but I also like not having to change out fuel lines every year.

Also installed a few OEM parts I was given by my BF's uncle, who has a couple old Bugs on the hill behind his house. There wasn't much left to pick, but I got a non-cracked dome light, footwell heat vents, and a glove box latch. Little details, but nice to have.

Most importantly, I installed all new tie rods and a new steering damper. For the first time my steering is smooth with no shakes! Also did a full tune-up, so once the alignment is done it's ready to hit the road.

Last, just some general cleaning...I scrubbed out the trunk for the first time ever since owning the car, tided up the interior, and gave it a coat of wax. I'll snap some pictures tonight.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

Here's some pics...

New tie rods and steering damper, ready for installation.

And so everyone fully understands my username, here's some shots of the rust I have to deal with:

My plan for the rust is to treat it for now so it doesn't spread, and then start amassing parts for rust repair. I'm seriously considering picking up a rust-free pan so all I have to fix is the body rust. The bottom of my frame head is toast, but the tunnel, pans, and the rest of the pan is all in good shape.

On a less rusty note, a couple minor things that were taken care of.

Trunk is clean, spare tire hit with a coat of primer.

For the first time in the 12 years I've had this car, the reverse lights work. With the original switch on the trans, no less.

Once I get the alignment done, I plan on doing some driving, and maybe make an appearance at some local shows.
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

Dang. Shocked Suddenly, my car's rust seems a lot less severe.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

Update time!

I finally had an alignment done a few weeks ago and man what a difference. Not a shimmy or a shudder, just smooth sailing. Still need to do a final adjustment on the steering box to see if I can't get some of the play out of it. Maybe I'll try to rebuild it over the winter if I feel motivated.

I've got a few little maintenance items to sort out and tinker with, but right now I've just been enjoying having a running, driving, reliable Beetle. I try to drive it 50-100 miles a week and it's been fun, even commuting 20 miles on the highway each way to work. Fortunately this is Kentucky, and people drive so slowly in the slow lanes I have been known to overtake the occasional car.

And of course, some pictures of the car as it sits today...

And that's 208k miles and counting on the original engine!

Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

I know that I say it all the time, but I still do love your car. Razz
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

Update: A couple weeks back I clocked over 1,000 miles on my Beetle since July. That may not sound like a lot to you folks who daily your Beetles, but my car hasn't been driven that regularly in about 25 years.

Still on the original, non-rebuilt engine with 209,xxx miles on it. Leaks a bit, I lose about a quart every 600 miles but honestly it runs so damn well I don't wanna mess with it. Starts right up every time and doesn't burn any oil that I can see. Work is a 20 mile commute on the highway each way, perfect for getting the engine nice and warm every time I drive it. I keep it at 55-60 for gas mileage and safety, and get around 25mpg. Some new tie rods and bushings finished up some of the work I started on the front end ages ago, and it feels as tight as a new car now.

This winter I intend on getting the wipers and defrost sorted out, plus a few other projects like weatherstripping and whatnot. I'll probably Fluid Film the rust for now. The car stays garaged and I don't take it out when there's salt or water in general on the roads.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

Great Story! Really enjoyed reading this thread.... and seeing that you still have it and drive it made my day!
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
TheRustySuper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My '72 Super... ongoing project Reply with quote

mikewilkinson007 wrote:
Great Story! Really enjoyed reading this thread.... and seeing that you still have it and drive it made my day!

And it makes my day to hear that! This year marks 12 years of ownership for me...I've had this Beetle for more than half of my life Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: