Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repro oval fenders ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Repro Oval Fenders Reply with quote

Not everyone is within driving distance of Pomona.

Thanks for your efforts Gerson!
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Oval Fenders Reply with quote

john morris wrote:
Not everyone is within driving distance of Pomona.

Thanks for your efforts Gerson!

Exactly.

Yea - I'll just hop on a plane and head to California and go to one of the many swap meets and if it's my lucky day I'll fine a NOS front fender for my '56. Then I'll have to pay extra to bring it back on the plane and across the border.... that one fender just cost me over $1000... Rolling Eyes

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rud helsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't like the sound of that... Confused

and i thought i had a hard time finding an original fender over here Laughing Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Joey it was an air cleaner and it was well over $1000 with flight hotel etc... but Solvang was the added bonus. It must be nice to live in California full time... Wink

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Gerson doing heater channels did I here somewhere?

Long bonnets next!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
Just picked up an original paint 52 fender In mint shape at the pomona swap meet for 120.00 today. Scratch me off the list

guteandtite wrote:
I finally found a 58 correct fender after looking for 3 years,

took 3 years AND he lives in CA. I thought 52s still had the round horn grill, not correct for 53 and up euros
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
Just picked up an original paint 52 fender In mint shape at the pomona swap meet for 120.00 today. Scratch me off the list

guteandtite wrote:
I finally found a 58 correct fender after looking for 3 years,
to find one that wasn't hacked for an oval or rusted yes, found plenty in Ca, mostly Norcal, Socal is pretty well raped of most parts by mexicans living in Tiajuana

took 3 years AND he lives in CA. I thought 52s still had the round horn grill, not correct for 53 and up euros

Not sure what your meaning here with this quotes, those are from 2 different forums and 2 different fenders for 2 different cars.

Yes- one fender i have is a 52-smooth, no turn signal, smooth bucket, wiringtube, and 4 slots for the false horn grill, with flip out at running board

Yes - one fender I have is a 58- has peanut turn signal hole 5 1/8 inches from headlight, 2 long dimples on headlight bucket, metal wiring tube, and oval horn grill hole, with flip out at running board

What's your point here?

lurking threads ehh?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who have access to real parts cheap, the rest of the world only dreams about pomona (even though is in sad shape). I just wanted to show that even for us in the land of plenty you have to search for a long time to find the parts we need.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derluftwagen wrote:
For those of us who have access to real parts cheap, the rest of the world only dreams about pomona (even though is in sad shape). I just wanted to show that even for us in the land of plenty you have to search for a long time to find the parts we need.

Well , I did find a 52 correct fender on my 1st trip to Pomona, and I hadn't really looked for one yet. and as for my 58 fender I passed on many in great shape all over the country simply because of shipping problems (people not wanting to box em up- guess they aren't enthusiasts ) but they are out there if you look, and they don't cost 1000 a pair. Id soon buy a parts car with fenders for that and part it out and have basically free fenders before I'd drop a 1000 on repros.

Cold fact is real fenders may really be worth 1000, they are real factory vw made parts!
Repros aren't.they never will be.
There is a demand for early fenders, no question of that.
However I'm just saying I demand German steel, as do most enthusiasts. There will always be a demand for German steel.

If I had to I'd pay 1000 for real fenders but that would mean I was careless with my money, especially in this economy. To buy repros for 1000 would make me a fool. what gets my goat is repro fenders for later cars can be had for 70, and people sell unused repros theyve sat on and not used for 30-40. Why do repro split fenders cost 400? They really cant be any harder to produce. Sure later fenders aren't identical to original fenders, even original fenders vary. It's minor details. Correcting those details wouldnt make a bit of difference in production cost. A fender die is a fender die.So why should a 55-67 universal fender be 70 and a gerson panel be 400? I forgot how rare repro fenders were.

Nice they are available. But the more things get reproduced, it just plain sucks. For example , my 72 super has a hella dome light with chrome trim and a square ivory knob. It finally cracked when reinstalling it after replacing a burnt out bulb after 38 years of service. is a repro available? Sure, it has 3mm terminals instead of 6mm, no chrome, the knob is black- is one even close to correct available? NO! Purely disappointing. so you can see why when many new products are featured and released in hot vw's , my initial excitement is dashed- I'm sure the feeling is a common one.

If you're into 57 Chevys, you an mail a cowel panel with vin to a company who will weld it into a completely new, BRAND NEW body of all welded together repro panels and they will ship the body to you, for 35,000 you have a newly assembled fake repro body, put a crate motor in it, and buy every single part of the car as repro parts. Looks like a 57 chevy, probably smells the same too, but alas it's a mirage! It's not a 57 chevy. Sorry game over you lose, no cigar- its fake. Just the same as wedding ring- cubic zirconia is not a diamond. A repro 57 chevy is not a 57 chevy.it's a good thing you can't buy a repro VW, what a shame it would be to roll in a repro barndoor bus. Oh damn, too late. you can't fake the funk!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
KäferKrieger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2cents....
Repro pre-A356 parts are in demand too, but they're reasonably priced.

A true enthusiast w/ time and tooling, would produce as many "parts" as his brothers needed,
while trying NOT to inflate prices by controlling supply and exaggerating demand .

Any tooling costs will be recouped in a longrun (w/ good product and pricing),
but a shortrun tries to get the mo$t from doing the least.

A few breedy gastards are still expecting the easy money of the previous decade.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
....... repro fenders for later cars can be had for 70, and people sell unused repros theyve sat on and not used for 30-40. Why do repro split fenders cost 400? They really cant be any harder to produce.
Why does a Ferrari cost over $200k? They can't be any harder to build than a Honda.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by GüteAndTite on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
Bruce wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
....... repro fenders for later cars can be had for 70, and people sell unused repros theyve sat on and not used for 30-40. Why do repro split fenders cost 400? They really cant be any harder to produce.
Why does a Ferrari cost over $200k? They can't be any harder to build than a Honda.

because someone is greedy. and because the rich can be tricked out of their money for a 200K "pussy magnet." the only pussy youll get is the one in the drivers seat

You've just proven you know nothing about manufacturing.
Here's a hint: Economy of Scale.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by GüteAndTite on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guteandtite wrote:
Bruce wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
Bruce wrote:
guteandtite wrote:
because someone is greedy. and because the rich can be tricked out of their money for a 200K "pussy magnet." the only pussy youll get is the one in the drivers seat
You've just proven you know nothing about manufacturing.
Here's a hint: Economy of Scale.
Horseshit!

Sometimes it's best to say nothing and let people assume, rather than opening your mouth and eliminating all doubt.
Last Triumph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They spend more on R&D per unit sold on a Ferrari than they do on a Honda.

The Ferrari is fast, pretty, exclusive and desireable allowing them to charge a bit more whilst they're at it.

VAG lost millions on the Veyron project because they will never recoup the R&D over the small amount of cars sold.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again, the view from the person in the land of plenty who also obviously does not own a bus. Classic fab has established a reputation of quality and customer service that is better than ANY aftermarket repair panel in fit finish and correct details. The fact that gerson decided that he would make type I parts is a huge help to all type I owners. If it werent for CF there would be a lot more buses that get scrapped, now people can start saving beetles too!

Just like any of the "german only" owners there will be a time when only an aftermarket part will be your choice. Are you going to sell off your troll treasure when that happens? Its getting close.
VintageVeeDub65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think the repro fenders are a great idea. I'm all for nos original, but who the hell has those kind of fenders floating around?? What does it matter if some guy down south is making new ones? If they are of original fit and finish, I will gladly pay the price! You should see the crap i'm working with now on my original bullets.. Gerson, thank you! Applause
ScottyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageVeeDub65 wrote:
I personally think the repro fenders are a great idea. I'm all for nos original, but who the hell has those kind of fenders floating around?? What does it matter if some guy down south is making new ones? If they are of original fit and finish, I will gladly pay the price! You should see the crap i'm working with now on my original bullets.. Gerson, thank you! Applause

I agree... Gerson has been VERY beneficial for Bus restorations. As said above, customer service, quality, and fit are above nearly, if not all other reproducers.

My bus may not be 100% German metal (and believe me I wish it was), but it's a better bus because of Gerson's parts.

Now that I have an Oval project, a green pair of rear fenders doesn't look bad for $1000 shipped. I have to pay for bodywork skills required to bring a roached fender back to life.... doesn't take long to spend a grand with a good bodyman.

Again.... THANKS GERSON!
60 Beetle OG Survivor
84 DOKA 2WD Road-Tripper!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyG wrote:
doesn't take long to spend a grand with a good bodyman.

Again.... THANKS GERSON!

It only takes about a day's labor to burn up a grand. And that won't include materials.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: