Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Getting closer to a top coat.... bye bye door logos Crying or Very sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I really like the color combination you are going for. I did it on an old bug of mine and really liked it. Are you going to put a new logo on the doors or just leave it off? I kind of liked it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Thanks-- yeah... I haven't decided on logos yet. I was sad to see the old Cascade logos go. But they weren't authentic so that helped me not be too sad. I have the Vector graphics file saved if I wanted to re-paint them.

but.... I'm an artist/designer by training. Rolling Eyes So I've got some alternative- secret logo ideas Wink or maybe I'll just leave them blank
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Work looks good dc. Regardless of the logo, the truck's going to look awesome
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Work looks good dc. Regardless of the logo, the truck's going to look awesome

Agreed. You're gaining on it. Doesn't look like the same "truck" I saw at the 2012 Invasion. Cool
I do like where it's headed now. The patina thing just wasn't quite working for me, but then it's a truck, so it's supposed to be abused. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

Honestly it's sort of a risk/toss-up at this point. It's always a balance: How much $ can I spend (and time) and what's the aesthetic "look" I'm going for?

The black top coat (s) was laid down yesterday Exclamation This afternoon, I will peel off the masking tape and check it out and then let it cure for a few days.

At this point, I would give my body/paint efforts a B- (I am a teacher after all Rolling Eyes ) . It's true that BLACK shows flaws....I spent many hours over the last few weeks working panel by panel. Some problems were resolved, many were made better and a few are still visible--- these were conscious decisions of ability and resources. An "A" was just more than I'm capable of!

All that said... it was fun! And it will look good... The tough part with making it look "too good" is re-assembly will involve re-using my beat-up stainless trim and bumpers, etc. - I'm hoping my "B-" will match.

In my Art classes, we often talk about intent--- "Was that a mistake?" Or "Did you do that on purpose?" and when your work is not perfect- does it still have unity and harmony with whole concept?

I'll show some sneak - peek shots later Wink
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I too remember your truck and your dad form the 2012 Invasion. your truck is looking awesome I love the color combo. My square you made me for the 2012 invasion is also in my display case at home. are you planning on making any more VW related art work? Still need a notch to put next to my square in my display case. it would be nice to have a matching set by the same artist. Very Happy Cool
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I have a prototype Notch toy that I made-- it's a larger scale (twice as big) than the 2012 Squares. I haven't decided if it will be a production run with casting, etc. I am sad not to be able to attend the Invasion this year. The schedule is always hard for a public school teacher- this year my last day of school is June 15th- in theory I could drive down right away but that's no "wiggle room". Also my daughter graduates high school on June 11th- salutatorian and honor scholar Exclamation
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:
I have a prototype Notch toy that I made-- it's a larger scale (twice as big) than the 2012 Squares. I haven't decided if it will be a production run with casting, etc. I am sad not to be able to attend the Invasion this year. The schedule is always hard for a public school teacher- this year my last day of school is June 15th- in theory I could drive down right away but that's no "wiggle room". Also my daughter graduates high school on June 11th- salutatorian and honor scholar Exclamation

I'm still waiting for more Type 3 castings! Cool I love my Squareback that you made.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Here's how it looks today:

Rear fenders are painted but not back on, gonna get a clear coat on there, and yes there are visible flaws here and there, but it looks decent overall!

Extra hole in the hood edge = early nose trim AND late nose trim mounting holes. I decided not to weld shut the unused holes- they are covered by the trim Exclamation
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Got the rear fenders back on...Whew! Took much longer than removal... I forgot what a pain it is to get everything lined up nice and getting all the hardware installed Exclamation

Question Question

I painted the car with Rustoleum Automotive Acrylic Enamel-- pretty good stuff but now I'm wondering: Should I polish/finish and wax? Hire a pro detailer to work the top coat-- buff, etc. ?

OR

Should I take it to Maaco and get it clear-coated?

Any ideas??? Question Question Question Idea
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Using Meguier products with good success: Polish #7 and Yellow Wax #26

Slowly putting the car back together...lookin' good!

In the meantime...I have two new type 3 art projects to report soon: an oil painting and a printmaking project - both feature an early Notchback.

Today at the SAM I found a little toy car made by hand from scrap tin by artists in South Africa.... one of them looked sorta like my truck with the canopy installed Cool

dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Getting closer to having it back together Very Happy

Waiting on some trim clip boots and some random small bits to finish having it back together....

Also about 30% of the new paint is still waiting for polish/wax. My arms are tired Confused Decided not to use my electric buffer - by hand is slower but more careful.
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Looks great!! For a second there, I thought you found another truck in Black! Laughing Are you coming tomorrow to VW Alley??

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Looks great, I love the look. Very well done. Applause Applause Applause
The tin toy looks like your before truck.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Nate M. wrote:
Looks great!! For a second there, I thought you found another truck in Black! Laughing Are you coming tomorrow to VW Alley??

That's the event in Everett, right? Nah...can't make it. Too many chores tomorrow. Hoping the new paint truck will debut at the Cool Car Cruise here in Bremerton on Tuesday Smile
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

dc wrote:

Like the new look!
Let's hope the Rusto lasts well enough for you up in the PNW.

OT, but FWIW..
You can take and bump those dents out of the bumpers.

Those are perfect candidates..!

Take the bare blade and lay it on a piece of plywood or carpet, shiny side down.
Take your time with a ball-peen and/or a pick, or..? and just tap tap tap those dents out from behind.
Bumpers are often tempered - 'spring steel' if you will, but if you are patient, and go slowly, and keep track of where you are going, you can get them back.

I have seen dents, exactly like the ones in your bumpers, get pushed back so well, you couldn't even tell it was done.

See how it works?
Now that you get the body straighter, the bumpers look crooked!
There is NO end-point to such madness..... Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

I know! I've had the same thoughts.... The bumpers look quite dented and rusty with body looking better Rolling Eyes The body trim is likely to have a similar issue, though I've been straightening and polishing those pieces.

Those Vietnamese stainless bumpers sure are beautiful!

As always, it comes down to money and time... Just too poor to go all out on this little truck.

As far as the paint goes-- this is the "special" automotive specific type of Rustoleum (not yer Dad's plain ol' Gloss Black rattle can). It may be marketing hype but it was impressive how it went on smooth and easy. I've painted cheapo style enough to know that it's all about prep and this time I spent way more time before the top coats than I normally do. I think it will wear well...fingers crossed--- the wax should help--- plus it normally will sit in the garage.
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Reply with quote

Got closer to back together--- just needs the fender trim and some small things.

Went for a drive for the first time in a while and it was A-OK (that front end is still pulling a bit under braking). Paint looks decent in the sun Exclamation Good from far but far from good Rolling Eyes Overall, I'm satisfied, though I'm sure a few will criticize at VW Shows this summer: I can take it Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 67 of 84

Jump to: