Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hebmuller Replica
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brezelwerks wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Its not a "high end authentic high end restoration", if the resulting car wasn't what they started with (an oval). It's a recreation of something, using a body of a later vintage. At best, it is "replica", or "model", not a restoration. As I stated earlier, using split era bodies would be MUCH closer to an authentic recreation, and, IMO, more worth of note and high price if done right.

To be sure, the logistics are different in Uruguay, but if they are pulling off what is purported, with a similar level of craftsmanship (remains to be seen), its a no brainer. Even if it cost you 10 grand to import one to the US, you would be better off in the end. A for more sound investment, and all the charm of the HEeb profile.....

It never mattered what this car is or isn't, the only point here is what it approximately costs for (restoration or authentic custom work) being performed by a high end shop, ........

In your world, maybe that is the "only point". To intelligent people considering dropping $90k on a car, smart money is that "what this car is or isn't" is quite relevant. The available pool of "Buyers or collectors" who have $90k to spend on "one off pieces of art" is not a sustainable market to anyone with the slightest business sense. Targeting educated vintage auto enthusiasts who appreciate and understand the design and history of the Heb might be a better option.

Eric's pretty liberal estimate that gets him to $67k is a reasonable argument IMO that $90k is inflated, but agree there are a lot of WAGs. $10k just for the metal labor might be a bit excessive. At $60/hr, that is over a month of 8-5 days.

I agree that $30-$40k would be hard, especially with a split.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProjectX
Accessory Nut

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
$10k just for the metal labor might be a bit excessive. At $60/hr, that is over a month of 8-5 days.

Southern California pricing John Wink

195? Project "X"
1954 Oval Convertible
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Brezelwerks wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Its not a "high end authentic high end restoration", if the resulting car wasn't what they started with (an oval). It's a recreation of something, using a body of a later vintage. At best, it is "replica", or "model", not a restoration. As I stated earlier, using split era bodies would be MUCH closer to an authentic recreation, and, IMO, more worth of note and high price if done right.

To be sure, the logistics are different in Uruguay, but if they are pulling off what is purported, with a similar level of craftsmanship (remains to be seen), its a no brainer. Even if it cost you 10 grand to import one to the US, you would be better off in the end. A for more sound investment, and all the charm of the HEeb profile.....

It never mattered what this car is or isn't, the only point here is what it approximately costs for (restoration or authentic custom work) being performed by a high end shop, ........

In your world, maybe that is the "only point". To intelligent people considering dropping $90k on a car, smart money is that "what this car is or isn't" is quite relevant. The available pool of "Buyers or collectors" who have $90k to spend on "one off pieces of art" is not a sustainable market to anyone with the slightest business sense. Targeting educated vintage auto enthusiasts who appreciate and understand the design and history of the Heb might be a better option.

Eric's pretty liberal estimate that gets him to $67k is a reasonable argument IMO that $90k is inflated, but agree there are a lot of WAGs. $10k just for the metal labor might be a bit excessive. At $60/hr, that is over a month of 8-5 days.

I agree that $30-$40k would be hard, especially with a split.

The point is that the world of finely crafted anything is going to be costly, doesn't matter what it is, time is money, and believe me intelligent people get that, its usually why such people have money.

Similarly, I recently purchased a hand made bicycle road frame, which is a whole other work art all by itself, and it was a year long wait just for the frame, and the rest of it I still have to build up when I'm able to acquire the components I wish to put on it, and I'm in no rush. There are even serious bicycle enthusiasts who have difficulty accepting what it takes to build such a machine, but its not about the money or investment, its all about passion.

These WCA/Dean Hebs therefore are not really about the money spent to acquire one, and nor would it be logical to think these would be developed for some kind of of sustainable market, neither is the conversion process setup as some kind of quasi-assembly line.

Instead, this project has already taken several years of planning by a man who has already achieved career success in his own right, so this is no more really than one man's other passionate pursuit, all while working with WCA to make them possible. Rest assured, even if no more than a few of these ever get sold the goal has already been achieved, and so, if you are looking for a piece of that passion you now know where to get it.
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I did not read the complete post before posting, my fault....it still seems like a shitload of money for a heb replica... but hey, if you got the money and you really want one, go for it... Very Happy Very Happy

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Heb replica ex Uruguay Reply with quote

HEBMULLERJAPAN wrote:

After all here in Japan bringing a product to the market means making what the customer want , at the price he can buy and with the quality he expects.

What a load of nationalistic crap!
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
356king
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[
West Coast Auto Craft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice this car at the So Cal Treffen this last weekend?
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took these pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
I took these pics.

Shocked

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodger and I talked and he told me he was on a "Solvang timeline" thinking he had until October to finish it and just ran out of time to do a lot of detail work but wanted to bring it out for people to see.

2nd place in a class with 2 Rometsch's and a real Heb is pretty good for a car "not finished"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made alot of progress since kelley park.I saw the car again this weekend at the treffen and it looked very complete. great job
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
Rodger and I talked and he told me he was on a "Solvang timeline"...

So, he's got like a year, and a few weeks to finish it?
Or is he on Rich50 time?
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.
Can't wait to see it next year in person.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Coast Auto Craft wrote:
Did anyone notice this car at the So Cal Treffen this last weekend?

I noticed Russell working on it too.

(Sorry Everett........................but you locked the "sighting" thread.)
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic that Ev took:

Looks very nicely done. Those yellow bulbs in the headlights wig me out though..... Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
Rodger and I talked

I had the pleasure to talk with him also he stopped by my friends swap spot looking for parts. I have to say it was a very interesting conversation which I actually enjoyed. He is VERY PASSIONATE about this car and future cars. I wish him well and hope he exceeds his production numbers.

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRK wrote:

Wow, those higher res pics really bring to light the level of work being done. Taking second place even unfinished as-is at that venue says it all really. I've been told since that no detail is being overlooked and it really shows. I believe the Hebmuller family would/should be very proud.
West Coast Auto Craft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank all of you for your compliments on the car. We are very proud of it so far. The results from the show far exceeded our expectations. We did not know what to expect bringing an incomplete project to such a great venue. The VW community is awesome!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: