Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zenith Carb
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was leaking, bad o-ring(#40), replaced, seems fine, but probably could use a rebuild, question, anybody have a digram or just the description of the numbered items in the diagram posted, also posting another diagram without the numbered parts for reference for printing while working on them. And, not sure if this site has been posted before, if so, posted again--->http://porsche356registry.org/resources/tech-artic...etors.html

If anyone has the numbered descriptions, please post-em, thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

other diagram I found

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it sounds like a lot of work, but maybe you should read through the thread and find out what info already here Wink Smile

i may have the descriptions in the 356 service manual for the 2nd diagram.
the first i have seen many times--like, a few pages back--but have never seen the descriptions for it.

which #s are you needing to know?
don't_bug_me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've browsed/read through most of the thread, don't need to know any individual part at the moment, but would be nice if I get this carb tore apart and find I need some replacement parts, also, if you know, who sells rebuilt kits for these, only asking because of how old this thread was originally, and not sure how current some of it's sources are.

"Necessity is the mother of invention"
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
Royze Part Number: ZE27K w/ "short" accel pump plunger

sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darth brian wrote:
Hey guys. I was hoping some of you Zenith gurus could help me out here. I have this intake manifold that came in the box of parts when I bought my Baja. I've been told it's for a Zenith carb but which one? I hear these are good carbs for Bajas? How well would one work on a mild 1776?

Thanks!

some of these manifolds fit dcnfs, like mine... intake tubes will be larger and holes will be slightly to spread to fit the zenith. You can modify it, but its not ideal fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCVGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: 1776 single,port with Zenith in a Thing? Reply with quote

I finally picked up my wish list VW-a 73 Thing in very clean and solid SoCal condition. It has the original AM case but was rebuilt sometime in the past into an 1835 with the tall dellorto carb on it. The PO cut a hole in the top of the body to allow enough room for the air filter. The engine is starting to knock a bit and is blowing a lot of oil. Just did the main seal. I think it's at least 3 of the pushrods tubes which I'm told could be because of high heat issues.

Reason I'm posting here is that I have a spare engine that I'm thinking about switching into the thing until I can afford a rebuild on the original. The replacement engine is a single port numbered case (no letters) that I'm told was rebuilt as a 1776 and it has a Zenith carb. I don't know the previous history of the motor. Was told by the PO that it ran well.

Is this a possible solution or am I just asking for more problems by using this engine in a thing?

Another thought would be to sell the zenith motor and use the money to fix the original. Not sure what the motor would be worth though.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

thank you!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 single,port with Zenith in a Thing? Reply with quote

SCVGuy wrote:
I finally picked up my wish list VW-a 73 Thing in very clean and solid SoCal condition. It has the original AM case but was rebuilt sometime in the past into an 1835 with the tall dellorto carb on it. The PO cut a hole in the top of the body to allow enough room for the air filter. The engine is starting to knock a bit and is blowing a lot of oil. Just did the main seal. I think it's at least 3 of the pushrods tubes which I'm told could be because of high heat issues.

Reason I'm posting here is that I have a spare engine that I'm thinking about switching into the thing until I can afford a rebuild on the original. The replacement engine is a single port numbered case (no letters) that I'm told was rebuilt as a 1776 and it has a Zenith carb. I don't know the previous history of the motor. Was told by the PO that it ran well.

Is this a possible solution or am I just asking for more problems by using this engine in a thing?

Another thought would be to sell the zenith motor and use the money to fix the original. Not sure what the motor would be worth though.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

thank you!

The case may be a single relief. But that's OK. The original engine should have been dual relief (look at the bottom of the case for a huge slot head screw - if there is just 1 near the pulley end of the engine it is single relief, if there is another near the flywheel end of the engine, it is dual relief). Both work fine. While the dual relief has slightly bigger oil passages and controls oil pressure a little differently and is preferred, both work fine. All parts are interchangeable except for oil relief pistons and springs.

1776 and 1835 are even the same case and head wise, the holes for the cylinders are the same size. Some folks trip out that the 92mm cylinders for an 1835 are "thin wall" because the ends of the cylinders are different thickness than the 90.5mm cylinders for a 1776, but I have both sizes and the castings are smaller OD between the fins on the 90.5s I have. So the walls are the same thickness except at the ends. The 1835 will make 60ccs more horsepower. That's it.

You may need to swap fan shrouds to fit. And a different air cleaner setup may be needed to fit the Zenith. But go ahead and use the 1776.

I'll be up Sierra HiWay from you in a couple of days.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ-BUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All 3 diagrams in one spot, including bottom one with descriptions.

other diagram I found

Descriptions
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my setup on a 1776 dual port.

works good for me, but needed bigger main jets.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7329055#7329055
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Is it possible to just block off the enrichner with a plate....OR...should I just leave the lever wired open ?? This is a single P010 on 1776

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

you can do it either way.
wiring it closed is kind of overkill, it'll stay where you put it.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

hey Zenith crowd
i have a predicament and need some advice.

my zenith is discharging lots of gas through the secondary vents when i throttle it.
I don't remember this as being normal operation.
the carb sat for a few years but was stored well and was clean when i opened it.
regardless, it has been cleaned inside and out.
the fuel level is spot on @ 19.5mm as is the fuel pressure @ 2.5psi.
the needle valve is working properly.
the float does not appear to be sunk; no fluid in the pontoons.
bowl vent is clear and it idles great with no leakage, but as soon a you open the throttle it starts to leak.

any ideas?
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

I just went thru the exact same thing. My problem was the air vent for the bowl was blocked, so it built up pressure and leaked.

from
http://sucarb.co.uk/technical-carburetter-maintenance-settings-flooding

Another cause of flooding, often mistaken for an over high fuel pump pressure, is caused by air trapped in the float chamber. When fuel is fed into the float chamber it rises and the float shuts off the needle valve. If, however, the chamber air vent is blocked, the fuel rising compresses the air in the chamber and fuel is forced out of the jet at pump pressure.

There are several different methods of venting the float chamber, from a simple hole in the lid to overflow pipes, all of which can be blocked in various ways. If in doubt, loosen the fixing of the float lid just enough to allow air to escape and see if this cures the problem. If it does, then hunt down the blockage and remove.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Ok how are we checking fuel level 19.5mm full or down from the top I see where earlier it says in this thread by "XxonValdez" Here: the fuel level should be .728" down which is 18.5mm well that's pretty close isn't it. I am all ears, I need to check mine too. Already fouled a plug just testing. Got to get a wide band!
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

19.5 mm down from the top, when carb is level.

back a few pages Smile
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

On mine the gas level turned out to be 24mm down. I take it that reading is taken with the floats in place? There is a big strange sideways pointing wood screw or something screwed into the bottom of my float bowl and one of the floats rest on it and when I started adjusting the float a little it would get jammed against that screw and the side of the float bowl! Is that screw supposed to be there? after much trying and failing to even get gas to flow into the carb again I finally put the float in the vice and used a drift and hammer to make a catastrophic adjustment to to it. Guess What it Fits now! The gas level is 19mm. Tunes and all is well again. Oh, by the way "borninabus" I looked down the throats of the Zenith 32 carb with the engine running and revved it and don't see big drops of gas or anything going in except what comes out the accel jets when the throttle is moved.
flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Yes, with the floats in place. I don't recall seeing a wood screw thing. You may want to check the washer on the needle valve. It should be 1.5mm thick. Mine was less than .5mm, so I made one from alum. sheet.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

Thanks "flashho" It's Together now and set pretty good! Never thought of that! Good Idea so the needle valve washer thickness can be used to dial in the gas level. You know at that leverage angle (Needle Valve to float) it would not take much to make a big difference in gas level. Sounds like that is how it's done!
I have another question. My idle jets are without Orings! It seems to tune ok though, Mixture screws dial in at about 1 turn out. Do I really need Orings on the idle jets?

mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

fresh off the PROFORMANCE dyno....& ready to re-install in the 11 Car....

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Zenith Carb Reply with quote

OH NO, Mr. Bill!
that engine looks far too nice to go in a class 11!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: