Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's Play, WTF is That!?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 408, 409, 410  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
too easy for you guys
it's a 1962 Ford F-100 Styleside with the unibody 8 ft box. 6 cylinder 4 speed.
When it was running I borrowed it to get 4- 45 gallon drums of fish gut water from the local processing plant. We used the water on the large corn patch gardens we had.
Some of the slop spilled out and really smelled ripe for quite some time, much to the owners dismay. Pressure washing fixed it.
cheers
Hank

I can understand how the owner would be unhappy that you made his collectable classic smell bad. Crying or Very sad
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

back in the day it was just another cheap work truck now it sits in a cow pasture waiting to be recycled
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ho-dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Da TOW'D wrote:
What makes this Ford rare?

No seam behind the cab.
Da TOW'D wrote:
what year

62-63 IIRC.

Cool - would've never spotted that.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Probably way too new but, maybe not.

Last edited by T Hollis on Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Honda ZE-1.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

^^^ There was a blue one for sale here in town recently. I thought they were called a Honda Insight. Maybe a US/Canada market thing?
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ There was a blue one for sale here in town recently. I thought they were called a Honda Insight. Maybe a US/Canada market thing?
insight in canada too

thinking about it... didnt the insight had different front?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

outasight man Cool
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Different markets used different names and trims, ZE is the company model code like VW called beetles type 1, buses type 2, etc...

Neat little car, but too fugly from the rear for me Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

The 21st century Citroen look killed it for my tastebuds. I swear Toyota sold 3 times as many 1st generation Priusi than planned just because of that atrocity.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:

Not sure what happened to the pic. but, it is a 2000 Honda Insight.

>all aluminum body / frame
>5- speed
>3-cylinder gas engine
>battery pack (in the rear)
>climate control
>rack steering
>true 2-seater

Handles like its on rails, will do over 100 mph, super quiet, (currently) getting 55 mpg city / almost 70 hwy. Can be driven on either the engine or battery pack.

Engine: solid lift chain driven cam with adjustable lifters (when was the last time you had to adjust your lifters... Laughing ), 11-1 compression, fuel injection.

In my opinion it's the best commuter car I've ever owned and I'm approaching "70" cars since the 70s.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

If someone posted a Honda in the VW/Porsche-only gallery on the site, it was deleted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
The 21st century Citroen look killed it for my tastebuds. I swear Toyota sold 3 times as many 1st generation Priusi than planned just because of that atrocity.

It was an interesting styling progression...

GM had the EV-1 which looked futuristic. That appealed to a devoted but limited group who liked it for it's oddness.

Then Honda came out with the Insight, which was also popular with a small but devoted buyer group.

Toyota had the utterly conventional-looking 1st gen Prius which sold decently but was lost in the grey of small sedans.

Toyota then came out with the 2nd gen Prius, which looked unconventional, but not TOO scary. Sold like hotcakes.

Then Honda came out with its 2nd gen Insight that looked just like a Prius, but with a little attitude. Not sure how well it has sold, but the intent was to tone down the geek factor to sell better.

Now Toyota has several Prius models, with the currently-popular zigs and zags in the lights. Not to my taste, but I'm not buying a new one, so what do I know?

And now we find VW's answer to the hybrids ("clean" diesel) was a sham and so we have no alternative to the Prius in all practicality, so prices stay high.

BMW is definitely going geeky with the i3, and Nissan conventional with the Leaf.

No one seems to have the market licked yet.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

It always bugged me that for some reason manufacturers felt they had to make early modern electric cars look so different, more aerodynamic than conventional cars. They could have made conventional cars look just as sleaky as well if it did indeed cut the wind any better---those cars could use the help just as much.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
T Hollis wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

If someone posted a Honda in the VW/Porsche-only gallery on the site, it was deleted.

I posted it in "My Gallery" and added the note: This pic is for the "Lets Play "WTF" is That!?!" post. Not sure why whoever deleted it didn't read the note before deleting it. No biggie... Wink
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:
EverettB wrote:
T Hollis wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

I posted it in "My Gallery" and added the note: This pic is for the "Lets Play "WTF" is That!?!" post. Not sure why whoever deleted it didn't read the note before deleting it. No biggie... Wink

Because the Samba gallery is only for VW's and Porsches. Not hondas.
T Hollis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
T Hollis wrote:
EverettB wrote:
T Hollis wrote:
T Hollis wrote:

Because the Samba gallery is only for VW's and Porsches. Not hondas.

ok...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
It always bugged me that for some reason manufacturers felt they had to make early modern electric cars look so different, more aerodynamic than conventional cars. They could have made conventional cars look just as sleaky as well if it did indeed cut the wind any better---those cars could use the help just as much.

AS much as for aero efficiency, they made them sleek so they would appear futuristic and attention-getting. The early Prius adopters wanted to be noticed (and thanks for saving the planet). Remember all the movie stars parading into the Oscars in their Prius?

A co-worker who drives an i3 mock-accosted me and asked how I could "in good conscience drive my gas-guzzling, pollution-spewing Prius?"

Now our LAPD has bought 100 of hem for non-pursuit applications. Really. Our tax dollars going to buy cops BMWs. Sheesh.
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

wtf as I don't know
Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Reply with quote

T Hollis wrote:

>all aluminum body / frame
>5- speed
>3-cylinder gas engine
>battery pack (in the rear)
>climate control
>rack steering
>true 2-seater

Handles like its on rails, will do over 100 mph, super quiet, (currently) getting 55 mpg city / almost 70 hwy. Can be driven on either the engine or battery pack.

I would point out that the electric motor for the Honda Insight hybrid system is part of the flywheel. It cannot be driven all electric without lugging around the unused gas engine. Most of its high gas mileage is about great aerodynamics and light weight, not the series hybrid system. One of these all aluminum cars saved the life of a friend of mine who was rear ended by a car going 40 mph while he was stopped.

The Toyota Prius hybrid system uses 2 electric motors, a gas engine, and a single planetary gear set in a series/parallel hybrid setup. It can run electric only up to about 40 mph, after which it has to spin the gas engine to prevent one of the electric motors from over-revving. It is a much larger and heavier steel body car that still gets good gas mileage. I owned one of these and took advantage of the fact that you could run them out of gas and keep going (for a few miles.) It was the best "reserve handle" ever!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 408, 409, 410  Next
Jump to:
Page 336 of 410

Jump to: