Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

130 vs. 160 watt generator component differences
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: 130 vs. 160 watt generator component differences Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the specific differences are between the armatures and field windings on the 130 watt and 160 watt (early thin slot) gens?

The only visible difference I can see on the 130 watt ones is that the threaded shank on the pulley end is a bit shorter maybe 1/2" whereas the 160 ones it is more like 5/8"? How does that correlate with the different hub and pulley designs?

I have a set of number readable field windings from a 130 watt, are they the same as for the 160 watt? I'd guess not.

Anybody have a reference (probably Bosch) for what field windings were used in the split and early oval gens? I have some NOS windings, but all have different numbers, and some don't even look like they would fit in the std beetle gen housings.

Lastly, has anyone ever run a 160 armature in an earlier housing with 130 watt field windings? It would seem like it should work, since the regulator is going to limit the current anyway.

Maybe I am the only one here who fiddles with these gens, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I am finding the availability of 130 armatures to be dwindling, and I have a half dozen or so 160 watt ones.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the windings:

RED130/6 - 2500 AL 15 or AL 16 has Bosch DWC 217 L 4 and L 5
LJ/GE 160/6 - 2500 L2 has LJWC 14 L 2 and L 3
LJ/REF 160/6 - 2500 L4/L13/L19 has DWC 217 L 22 and LJWC 14 L 2
LJ/REF 160/6 - 2500 L17/L19 has DWC 217 L 4 (this is the same with 130 W) and LJWC 14 L 2

What is the real difference, I don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big box of NOS early 6V generator innards. I will look through them and see if I can get some part numbers and see any differences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
I have a big box of NOS early 6V generator innards. I will look through them and see if I can get some part numbers and see any differences.

Thanks, I appreciate it. If you have any DWC 217 L 4 and L 5 field windings that you'd like to sell, please PM me....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Anchovy wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate it. If you have any DWC 217 L 4 and L 5 field windings that you'd like to sell, please PM me....

Do you have a VW part number? I have some older looking boxes with field windings. Part number 111 911 115 and 111 911 115A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Anchovy wrote:

Do you have a VW part number? I have some older looking boxes with field windings. Part number 111 911 115 and 111 911 115A.

All of the Bosch windings I have seen have numbers on the paper wrap like above. I do not have the VW PNs unfortunately.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spare catalog from 1956 says:

130W:
111 903 351 A Winding 1
111 903 353 Winding 2

160W:
111 903 351 A Winding 1
111 903 353 B Winding 2

111 911 115 is winding for STARTER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
Spare catalog from 1956 says:

130W:
111 903 351 A Winding 1
111 903 353 Winding 2

160W:
111 903 351 A Winding 1
111 903 353 B Winding 2

111 911 115 is winding for STARTER

Thanks Mika!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, digging deeper in the box.
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 thin slot gens I have all have a 1/4" or so metal band around the armature and a cut-out slot in the metal field winding "holders" for clearance. My 130's do not have this band.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a pic:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The two on the left are 130 watt. Note the shorter threaded area for the nut at the top. [ER if you are reading, yours is the second one from the left]. You can also see a larger ridge at the bottom of the commutators on the 130 watt ones. The second one has a lacquered twine winding just above and below the core, whereas the one on the left has it just below the commutator.

The three on the right, I believe, are all think slot gen armatures, 160 watt. One is NOS. The other two (the one on the far right is something else, way different, and not a thin slot.) are obviously used, and the one in the middle has the steel band that Jim mentioned above. Its housing had the field winding cores clearanced for it as well. The one on the right looks like it had a band but is was knocked off.

So I'd guess you could put a 160 watt arm in the 130 housing, but I wonder if the pulley end would accept the 130 watt gen large nut and hub for the pulley. If it is just too long, maybe you could just cut it back a bit?

Only one way to find out.......!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
hawaii five-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the differences between a RED 130/6 2600 AL 15 and an AL 16 generator? In particular, are the armatures for the AL 15 and AL 16 the same dimensionally/physically? I'm sure the main differences would be part numbers.

Virtanen, IN2VWS, could you please post 'em? Wink

I was told that the AL 15s were used up until April 1951, then the AL 16s came after that.

Mahalos John for working diligently on my generator!
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawaii five-o wrote:
What are the differences between a RED 130/6 2600 AL 15 and an AL 16 generator? In particular, are the armatures for the AL 15 and AL 16 the same dimensionally/physically? I'm sure the main differences would be part numbers.

Virtanen, IN2VWS, could you please post 'em? Wink

I was told that the AL 15s were used up until April 1951, then the AL 16s came after that.

Mahalos John for working diligently on my generator!

Erron,

Here is the info I sent you in an email. It iss from a 1952 Bosch catalog. Thats all I have, sorry.

⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hawaii five-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussie John, don't be sorry...that's very helpful information and I'm learning some German too!

That catalog lists two different part numbers for the "Anker" (armature) between the AL 15 & AL 16. Interesting...hmmm

Much Mahalos Mate! Cool
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Swedish Bosch catalog somewhere 1958 says that both has the same armature nr 29, maybe that time the dropped old part.

hawaii five-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Mika!

It may be possible that the armatures for AL 15 & AL 16 are interchangeable. Both are 130 watts...it's just a matter of having the same physical dimensions.

Mahalos again!!! Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the armature in the pic I posted above on the left, is out of a '52 (I think, the housing is badly pitted and it is hard to read the date code) AL16 gen, and Erron's, second from the left, is from his AL15 gen (we think, his housing is at the plater's right now). His arm did have the hemp/twine around the "neck" just below the commutators, but does not have the hemp/twine winding at the other end, just past the steel cores.

Dimensionally, they are the same, I checked them.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers in brackets should be found stamped to the armatures.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I looked at the armatures, Errons and the other AL16 I have. Both have what appears to be "LJ5L2" stamped on them, and then on an adjacent core, what appears to be a date code.

On the AL16 I have, whose housing is stamped 5H (May '52), the date code is "3H". Makes sense. On Errons, it is 11F (Nov '50). Again, I don't have his housing at the moment, so I don't know its date code. Erron has told me his split is a Feb '51, so that would make sense also.

Neat stuff, I didn't know armatures were date coded. For the ultra-ultra purist... "Hey, is the date code on your generator armature correct for your year and month of manufacture?"

Thanks to HeSa, in2VWs and Mika for the scans/pis. This is what makes this forum the best.

I will heat up my shop today (its 24 degrees out there now) and inspect the armatures again with magnifying glasses, but so far it does not look like those "DAN" numbers are on there...??

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
hawaii five-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Thanks to HeSa, in2VWs and Mika for the scans/pis. This is what makes this forum the best.

I agree wholeheartedly! There's a saying here in da islands, "Spread da Aloha!"

Mahalos guys for sharing the love/passion/disease. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: