Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bypass Oil filter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mann canister filter on my engine acquired from a 356. It did not come with the lines so I made up my own. My question is about the restriction orifice. I have seen some filters with it in the line, like the fram. I have seen others where the restriction orifice is in the return tube inside the canister. What is the case for the Mann filter?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were uncertain, I'd just add a restrictor into one of the fittings (like the elegant job shown by lowbus). A second restrictor won't hurt anything. For safety, I'd stay smaller than a 1.5mm drill size.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Mann Filter Reply with quote

I am restoring a Mann filter to put on my 40hp. I understand the 1.5mm restriction @ the inlet side of filter.

My question is: Once oil has entered filter and passed through the filter element, HOW does it get to the outlet? The tube seems to be solid? Is there a small hole or holes on the on the tube down the middle. Someone powdercoated the inside very thick and I removed the coating but can't seem to find an orifice for oil to return to engine?
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Mann there is a small orifice about halfway up the inside tube.
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that is a small hole.
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what led me to believe that it was the restrictor. However, I have not seen any literature related to the Mann that would support that.
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass Oil filter Reply with quote

So does anyone know the year differences in the Fram bypass filters? I take it the bolt style with the smooth lid is earlier than the wing nut style and lid with three pressings. These two different filters are F3-P but have different decals as well, like one is early and late. Does anyone know the date range each was introduced? Would be curious to know.
Jasonmorris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass Oil filter Reply with quote

Ok I went and got new hose and fittings from a hose place today for mine. Is the reduction orifice between the brass block and the container. Or is it between the hoses and the mounting ports My old hoses were dry rotten and fell of. So all I had were the fittings that were crimped onto the old hoses. I unscrewed them from the blocks in the filter housing. So I am now worried do I need to unscrew the fitting from the housing to see if there is a restrictor orifice in there.
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass Oil filter Reply with quote

Is anyone selling the hose kit anymore with the fittings.
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bypass Oil filter Reply with quote

Dake wrote:
Is anyone selling the hose kit anymore with the fittings.
Try this Guy Mike here on the Samba: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1949125
'63 OG 117
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: