Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This forum sucks! My thread was locked.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

Yesterday I joined this site so that I could get a little help with a project I am thinking of undertaking. I wanted to know what info was out there about putting a late model bay window pop top on a early bay window bus. What can I say, my favorite year it '71. It just has one problem for me, only a tiny cot up top.

I got a few nice responces along with a gentle prod to do a little research ( by the way, I did do a search and did not get much info. Hence, I started the thread)

The next thing I know my topic has been locked with no explanation. I could not even publicly thank the few people who responded. What is up with that?

Had my thread been left open someone might have told me about the Riviera top that looks similar to a westy when it is down but can be set up on an early bay window with ease. Or maybe some one could of told me about the place in the UK that even today installs a Westy looking top that could go on a '71. Today I saw a thread about Brazilian Campers being imported to the UK. What do I see on the link? you got it, poptops that might be suitable for a '71. But no, I had to find things at other sites and on google because it seems that you all can't be bothered with my question.

Mean while, some kid who clearly does not know his elbow from a hole in the wall gets two pages of replies on why his bus won't just magicaly fire up when he throws a used longblock in it. Never mind that he has no clue how to tune his engine or even if the periferal parts he scrounged up to complete the engine are even correct. He certainly did not pay any attention to what his father was doing when he was growing up and clearly has no grasp on what is required to do what he has done. Yet no one advised him to find a knowlegabe vw person in his area that might take just a quick look over his shoulder to see what he has going on and make sure that while he tries everyones little ideas he does not ruin the longblock. Someone could at least have told him to get a good book or manuel on VW's so that he could learn something about how these engines are tuned and maintained

So... No help for me on a ligit question and foolish responces to someone who has no idea what he is doing. It seems like I would be better off at other sites.
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont be pissed because your thread got locked, its happend to all of us muiltiple times. your thread was locked because it was on a subject that has been driven into the ground and covered too many times. you obviously don't know how to perform a search because if you did, you would've found all the other locked-down threads that have a link to the original thread. learn to search and dont be so quick to be a dick to the good people who run this site and forum. Shame on you

Desertbusman wrote:
Is there a message here? Enjoy Spammy Ate

EZ Gruv wrote:
Way to fuck up some little kids riding in the car next to you.

hazetguy wrote:
you need to be doing better drugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your frustration, it's happened to me once or twice. People that are on here a lot do get tired of new bus owners asking similar questions all the time, which is understandable. They always tell you to "use the search". I've been on the site for a little while, and I still have a helluva time finding what I want to find with the search function, it's not the greatest. There are threads on how to use it successfully, maybe you can search for those, or maybe somebody else will go through the trouble to post 'em, cause I don't want to.
There really are a lot of people that will help you here, just don't let it bug you when they bitch a little, it happens.
I notice you're in SLO, me too. Though I don't know too terribly much about things like taking your engine apart or anything, if you want I'd be down to check out your bus & maybe help point you in the right direction. I've got a few manuals too that you could check out.
Don't give up so easily, and good luck with your bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
I wanted to know what info was out there about putting a late model bay window pop top on a early bay window bus.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3352303

you were referred to other threads where this topic has been discussed to death. the topic comes up at least 2-3 times PER MONTH. there is no need for that many threads about the exact same topic. add to the other threads about the subject. did you read the site rules and forum FAQ's before posting your thread?
if you're gonna be a whiner because your thread got locked in favor of the others that already existed, then yes, the samba may not be for you.

Last edited by hazetguy on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try responding a little more gently. The people who have responded above have been here long enough to see this type of post, and honestly, they are sick of it, but that is beside the point.

The post was locked because, as pointed out, the forum has covered the topic alot ... enough of alot that the moderators deemed it worthy to not discuss it anymore.

The search function would definately help, and you will find a wealth of amazing useful information here, and much like your bus... you will probably have to work a little (not alot) to find what you are looking for.

Consider it training for the amount of work that you are going to do to keep your bus running - only with less grease.

As for the "sucks" part, allow me to correct the original assertion if I may:
This Forum doesn't suck
This forum is filled with lots of useful information and many many very helpful people
It sucks that your thread was locked - but it was locked for a good reason
It sucks that you were unaware that it would be locked, but then again, it's cool that you are being told why.
It doesn't suck that there is a very good search function that has crazy amounts of info.
It also doesn't suck that this forum loves to revive old threads and contribute to them, as opposed to starting new ones. hint hint.

Bottom line - There is alot of history, knowledge, old stodgy folks, young punchy ones, and an excellent wealth of info to gather. I have fixed, failed, floundered, and fucked up seriously here, and couldn't have done it without the wisdom, and sometimes, the instults and sarcasm of the people on this forum.

Feel free to stay if you wish, feel free to move on, best of luck to you either way. I hope to see you on the road regardless.

Aloha,

-Peter
Pifey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't just bitch a little.
Many think they are the second coming of christ or something.
There is a WORLD of information on this site and it doesn't get any better than this.
I feel like i'm on pins and needles when I ask a question here.
When 95% of all VW topics are covered here what is the point of the forum?
Sometimes we just need a quick answer rather than spend several hours searching. When I call a vw buddy for advise he doesn't tell me to go search for the answer.....He helps me the best he can.
I've been into VW's for 23 years......I CAN figure things out!
Sometimes people just want some responses based on their particular situation, and they get dis'd for their question, grammar, punctuation, etc.

I agree, Questions like " my Bus won't start, What do I do?" seem to get valid responses, but ask a legitimate question, that you have been trying to find an answer to and you're liable to get flamed.

I lived with a girl like that once!

There ARE good people here! Only a few that are holier than thou.

Don't give up. Research in your spare time. If you need an answer now, then ask it. There are people here who want to help.
Yeah, the admins are too rough sometimes....they seem to forget where they came from.

someday they will lock ALL the forums and just expect you to search the archives.

They don't seem to realize that the whole idea of this forum is human interaction.

A bunch of VW addicts that are looking for others of the same kind.

We all share a common interest, and we all share a semi-common goal.
We are a community and in any community there will always be cliques.

Don't give up. I've been there and am always happy to share my experience, as are many others.

Stephen

65 Beetle
71 Westy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Yesterday I joined this site so that I could get a little help with a project I am thinking of undertaking. I wanted to know what info was out there about putting a late model bay window pop top on a early bay window bus. What can I say, my favorite year it '71. It just has one problem for me, only a tiny cot up top.

I got a few nice responces along with a gentle prod to do a little research ( by the way, I did do a search and did not get much info. Hence, I started the thread)

The next thing I know my topic has been locked with no explanation. I could not even publicly thank the few people who responded. What is up with that?

The last post in your original thread clearly says "Please use the threads above".

This is the explanation, it means please use the threads linked above as the topic has either been covered or we want to concentrate responses in a single thread or a minimal number of threads.

This seems 100% clear to me but if it is not, feel free to contact me privately.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
waah.

first off, you are a guest in someone else's house, conduct yourself accordingly.
second, don't have a hissy fit because someone didn't answer your post as fast as you like. this is a free site with 136341 members on this site,you are not gonna get everyones attention with your question. you have to WAIT at times.
again you get out, whatcha put in.
third, perhaps you should read the siteRULES first and see what you might of done wrong first.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4
if you think we suck, the door is open and you can go back out the way you came in.
have a nice day.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought this post got locked yesterday?

Desertbusman wrote:

EZ Gruv wrote:

hazetguy wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to ask for a refund on your way out.

I haven't been on much the past few days (sick) and my internet was down yesterday. I was the mod you pm'd, although I was not the one who locked your thread. I would have told you the same thing Everett did. Please use the other threads pertaining to the same issue.

Starting a thread that "this forum sucks" is a sure way to win friends and influence people.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoispammy8 wrote:

I moved it to the site forum and unlocked it since that is the place for discussion.

I don't typically discuss moderation topics except via private contact though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
enjoispammy8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
enjoispammy8 wrote:

I moved it to the site forum and unlocked it since that is the place for discussion.

o i see. i noticed you took off a bunch of the replies that were on it too, before it got locked.

Desertbusman wrote:

EZ Gruv wrote:

hazetguy wrote:
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoispammy8 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
enjoispammy8 wrote:

o i see. i noticed you took off a bunch of the replies that were on it too, before it got locked.

indeed, it is his site so he can edit at will.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoispammy8 wrote:
EverettB wrote:
enjoispammy8 wrote:

Yes, I removed some of the insulting comments (there may still be some above, depending on your personal opinion) and some of the content related to his actual technical question.
Matt B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate doing searches and looking over 200 posts about the same thing. So when the thread is locked I know I don't need to go into that one. So for that reason I am glad they lock threads that have been discussed numerous times. You shouldn't take it personal that they lock the thread! They gave you an answer and locked the thread so that people wouldn't keep answering the same topic over and over.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - I had not thought about that in terms of the search results.

Thanks for posting.

We lock topics if they:
1. Do not belong on the site
2. Are repetitive or are re-posts of topics that have been covered many times
3. Are advertisements (often removed outright though)
4. Contain an abnormal number of useless responses. It's easier to remove a topic outright if it has no useful content than clean it up. Sometimes we will remove it, clean it up, and move it back but don't count on it.
Viande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I say good riddance to ya m8. I love this place, after reading it for ages I finally joined and had my question answered very readily. Add to that the innumerable advertisers of cars and parts that have eons of experiance that answer questions and you have a VW utopia. Thank you Samba and all associated for all you do for the community. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Yesterday I joined this site

Welcome
Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I noticed that this site sure is finicky about new threads and wanting to close them.

I get the whole aspect of repetition of the same questions however, I've always written threads with titles that are with respect to the technical question I'm asking. I've done the search, didn't come up with the answer so I post a new thread. Both times I did so, they were locked and told to move it to "Lowering a Bay" which is a general thread on the overall subject. You might as well have 10 threads. Engine, Interior, Suspension, etc etc. (I'd like to see how well distributor questions would work if they were funneled into one thread...)

Just for kicks I asked a second question in the Lowering a Bay thread and received no response for four days (six now) along with three other posts above me which were never answered either. So I opened a new thread asking the same question and it didn't even last an hour open till it was replied twice with, "Ask in the other thread" then locked or go ask the vendor or post in the Lowering a Bay thread.

As a matter of fact, I had asked the vendor and was hoping for a quick response from someone here, but rather than allowing people to answer, they lock it and say to go ask somewhere else.

If you want to have an informative forum, rather than positing to go ask someone else, maybe wait for someone to respond to the actual question? People do the search but when you have 219 pages in one thread it's not exactly easy to hunt through the topic.

Seems like a lot of eye rolling moderators would rather clutter a single general thread then allow quick responses to specific questions. It's a hell of a lot easier to have a search with the title regarding something specific rather than moving all questions on parts, suspension, lowering, and vendor questions into one thread.

Just my $0.02
16 Tundra
14 MB C250
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

You can post your particular version of the same, worn out issue to one of the original threads if you need to have some personal interaction with other Samba members. The reason it is so difficult to search is because there are way too many threads about the same things.
If getting your thread locked is too intense for your sensitivities, the internet might not be a good fit for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: