Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bedliner Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Bedliner Build Reply with quote

This is a couple of pics of my car at the initial stages of bajaism. I started when I was very young. I got my license put five people in it and ate while driving. Guess what happened to the front end. Here is a few pics to start. Well in a minute I gotta upload'em. At least I started with brand spankin' new floor pans. That's the only right thing I did back then.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got some more pics I'll get up as I have time and progress. Really I've done a lot.

Last edited by corradolvr on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got a VR6 Corrado and a '70 convertible Ghia and did full resto's on them. I was side tracked. The Corrado actually took first at a recent Cali show. I can only claim the body work though. Frown. Like I say I'll get more pics and progress up soon. Please keep in mind it's a budget build. I'm studying to become a mechanical engineer right now so I don't have a lot of extra scratch. It's not going to be out of control BA like a lot of the bajas I see on here. I plan on upgrading as I break stuff. Trickle off the weak parts and trickle on the upgrades at a slow (low money) rate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another pic of the car after the initial work when I was younger.

More new pics of previous summer work soon. I have to resize or take smaller pics to upload them. Sorry for the quality on these pics. They're from an old cell phone. Oh yeah here's another of a silly press I came up with while doing some work recently.

corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's four pics of it's recent state. I still need to do a roll cage and a few other things. inside and I need a steering column bad. I just got all the door seals and I will be working on that soon. I think I'll go out and bleed the brakes tonight, and hopefully put in the tranny. I got a funny spindle I had to replace if I can remember to take a pic of it I'll get it up. it's fairly comical.

Same wheels as in the upper pics just powder coated

All new brakes, brake lines (hard lines and steel braided), bearings and bushings. I know urethane squeaks but they last longer I hope.

Yeah those are 14's holding on the bumper Shocked . New tie rod ends and pipes over the tie rods. Adjustable front beam. new spindle on this side

The front got bashed pretty good and needed a lot of work. Instead of welding on little tiny pieces of metal I decided to make some small support pieces. Which may or may not be worse than just welding on metal Laughing . They turned out all right though. The car will have a bit of an under bite. Maybe the perfect place to put some teeth Laughing . Eventually I'll get a one piece front, when I have some money and aspirations for longer travel. This maybe soon after I drive it and have way too much fun.

Last edited by corradolvr on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talk to myself on this post. I know my car is a little lame compared to most but it'll still be fun. Boo hoo!
GhiaBateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like it will be a "BAJA Rat" those rims look good in red. the height is good too but that will drop once there is some weight in the car, oh well. good luck with the build. mine will take awhile do to funding and lack of workspace.

just thought i'd keep you from talking to yourself... Wink Laughing
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I know it will drop a little. I got a Scat 1776 zero mile and some IDF Weber 40's in a trade and thought I might put them to good use. I figure on doing 3x3 eventually but I figure an old school approach will work until I can fund the improvements.
bizmarkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet ride..Yeah im in the same boat..but hey..you gotta work with what you have sometimes
notsofastEddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good to me. Yer more motivated than me right now. Mine's half done and I'm just driving it as-is till I get some time off where I can work on it. Dang job, gets in the way of my personal life..... Rolling Eyes
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. We just like to watch you work. You got alot of the hard stuff done, the details is what kills me. How long you been building it?
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually gone from the upper pictures to the lower pictures in three months, While I had college down time. Now it's going much slower because of class. The upper pictures are after about three months of just work on the body when I was younger. I had to redo some of it because I did some evil things when I was younger Boo hoo! . I just got a second brake light switch which I thought I would have earlier. That's the final piece of the brake system so I'll bleed'em probably tonight if I can get my old lady out there to push the pedal for awhile. I always have grand plans for an evening and usually end up getting about 1/4 of my plan done Rolling Eyes . So probably about six months of 8hr/day work (not all productive). I was not as knowledgeable when I was younger though. I learned a lot from building my '92 VR6 Corrado and my '70 convertible Ghia. Now that I'm back to it, progress is much better Very Happy . Thanks for the views all. I'll try to update it soon.
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some progress. I'm going with a half aluminum dash and an old school look on the left.

A new one! Yes!

A scat shifter that I got for really cheap. It works good too.

Finally got the hood that was flopping around my garage put on. It's a pile of garbage by the way.

Test fitting the cage and figuring out how to beef it up a bunch. Sandwiching and gussets. The bottom plates will be offset to avoid shear at the feet. I'll eventually weld it to the car when I'm sure I don't want to remove the body.

finally got the brakes done. They also don't leak!

I had to put this adjuster in because my hood is so crappy. It's an
adjust-a-curve Laughing . It keeps it from flatening out.

The best seal I could find.

Put the tranny in. I'll rock it till it blows up then do a bus plus 3x3 upgrade on the back

GhiaBateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it me or is most of the car done in "bed liner" cause it doesn't look half bad... I think your ahead of the game with having your car all one color already Laughing Laughing and again the red wheels are sweet.

you should look at all the cage pics you can so you can plan ahead for those 3x3s and longer shocks, if you get the rear of your cage half set up for it it would help out alot down the road... when all you'll have to do is add a few tubes in for the shock mounts, and not have to cut any of it out.
Wink

-Dave
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sanded down like five coats of crappy paint jobs and bedlinered the whole thing. I've been looking around at other cages on here too. I'm going to try to set it up for coil overs now, ahead of time. Just need to figure out how high to go with the bars in the back. My rear bumper/cage will be tied in too. Don't want to get crumple firewall syndrome. Thanks for the advice. Any advice is helpful. I've restored 3 other cars but haven't done anything off-road so I really appreciate all the help I've gotten from everyone on the site.
notsofastEddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm likin' the bedliner treatment. What kind is it, and how did you apply it? Looks good, and would be a lot more durable tearing thru the woods like I'll be doing. Shocked
Lotrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corradolvr wrote:

I like the way you work, what's your poison? Laughing
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
I see you're in WA, which is kinda far, but if you're ever in the SF bay area I've got a stock-looking front end you could have & chop....though I must say I do like your improvised setup.
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Nice to see another bedliner build.

Mine.

No regrets.

64 Bug
agreendaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I dig the bedliner, but what kind did you use, details on that would be cool.
I thought about going that route, but then I discovered 97 cent cans of flat black spraypaint at the home depot, and couldn't resist. Cool
corradolvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another bedliner baja! Looks good. My poison is Scotch of course.
Neat. I Tried application by spraying but it turned gray. The best way I found was to use a texture roller. It goes on even and shiny. Some people that have seen it have asked me who did it. It turned out a lot better than expected initially. If it gets scratched you just roll right over it and in a few days you can't even tell. I ended up going with duplicolor because I started the project when I was young and had no money. It's a little temperamental in prep, but once you get the first coat on solid the next few coats go easy. If I could go back I would probably use something a little more flexible. I've noticed it's a little brittle on cold days. I was mainly going for ease of maintenance. I'll probably beat it up and I didn't want to have to worry about sanding blending paint. I know it's a baja and I shouldn't worry about that but it's one of my itches. Once I roll it I'll get over it Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: