Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

You are correct, this is the No Spin Zone.

"The No Spin Zone"

1 oz Penetrol
1 oz F Type
1 oz Peanut Oil

Shaken not stirred... (hence "The No Spin Zone").

Strain through a Mullendore Port.

Chill with RedTek.

Shotgun with a Libby Bong rimmed with Bon Ami.

Enjoy

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Tue May 24, 2016 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I am pretty confident it was more than a wave of a rag over the color.

Nothing I have seen works this easy.

Cripes...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Since reading comprehension is out of your spin zone, here, I will repeat what I said on page 5 with the important parts you glossed over emphasized:

The roof on my '90 was de-oxidized back in 2010, but it all returned in short order and got tired of looking at it when the roof was popped. Used Penetrol in the luggage rack awhile back, worked great; however, I had used Meguiar's #49 Oxidation Remover a few months prior. So, this weekend I finally got around to doing the pop-top. Penetrol alone wasn't going to cut it, and scrubbing the roof with a sponge and cleaner (as others have done) wouldn't work either:

Sick

^That same spot after using the Oxidation Remover and a scrub brush:

(No, the color didn't get lighter; just garage lighting & camera playing tricks.)

Left side = before work began; right side = after oxidation remover:

(Before anyone asks: The ring is just from resting the -stopped- buffer on the roof; pad was damp with the remover cream, hence the round spot... it went away when I did that section.)

Bottom = after oxidation remover; top = after oxidation remover & Penetrol:

Oxidation Remover + Penetrol = Shiny dark blue fiberglass pop-top without the crud buried into the texture. Was it more work than just slathering on Penetrol? Of course, but it was a procedure I didn't mind doing for the best results for my van. I'm also one of those slender people who parks far from the store door because I don't mind the walk. Go figure. Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:

You are correct, this is the No Spin Zone.

"The No Spin Zone"

1 oz Penetrol
1 oz F Type
1 oz Peanut Oil

Shaken not stirred... (hence "The No Spin Zone").

Strain through a Mullendore Port.

Chill with RedTek.

Shotgun with a Libby Bong.

Enjoy

you forgot the Bon Ami - rub it on the logo
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

^^^

Edited above
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Ha! Even if you don't read this site for technical info on vanagons, it is still worthwhile for the humor Exclamation
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Here's the best suggestion;

Feel free to use whatever you assume will work the best for you & your top.

I have used the Penetrol on rat fiberglass boats, and it brought the hulls & decks back to life, and it lasted an entire boating season in the direct sunlight 24/7/ from May through October.
I made the Penetrol announcement to the vanagon crew years prior to being here at the samba forum.

I didn't discover it.
A older wood boat restoration salt that I ran into in a boatyard years ago was watching me bust ass buffing & waxing a fiberglass yacht for a guy--
He sez--"Here try this"
Gave me a small baby bottle of who knows what--and tells me to wipe it on the sun beat gelcoat.

The spot I wiped it on blew me away with the results--one wipe with the Penetrol took milliseconds in comparison to the rubout & wax laborious act.
"Hey--what is this stuff??'

The only issue was with white tops,it gave a little yellow cast to the white.

I have used the stuff on fagged out Mack fiberglass hoods, and it lasted just fine over the engine heat, & Suns UV rays.

The MMO I've been using for at least 45 years with no negative adverse poor performance attributes.
I ran mostly Pontiacs & Oldsmobiles, and they always had lifter issues.
The marvel cured that.

It was also common in cast iron 4 speed hydro's to slip shift into each range.
B&M hydro had the cure with their blue trick shift, which was expensive.
I found that type F had the same formula, only was red instead of blue.
Been using it since 1961
Tight shifting transmissions, with minimal time taken to just swap the filter & fluid.

My 87 Westy had some cold shifting issues, it had a hesitation in reverse or Drive when cold.
Cured with type F.
In a matter of fact the 960 VOLVO wagon I landed on last june got the type F treatment shortly after I got it.
Shifts real crisp.

Bon Ami I used in an air cooled compactor engine that was blowing way too much oil outa the muffler.
It was almost dead---why not?
I had this cure in the living grey matter rolodex, and the goofy kraut engine is still running.
Does it use oil?
A little, but nowhere what it did, and is producing compression, enough to run well.
It isn't a new machine, it's OK.
Plus Al in Iowa took the Bon Ami ride. and his vehicle came back to life--
Don't know what his engines prognosis is right now, but he reported it worked.

I have been welding nuts to frozen and broken studs on just about any kind of engine to remove them fast, while other folks choose to slave drilling & tapping.
Slow menial labor, or the drilling & tapping, like on exhaust fasteners.
Folks here seem to enjoy the beat me whip me routine.

I use Nothing Meguiar's produces.
It's basically home hobbyist garbage.
I use only 3-M products, Finesse removes 1500 sanding marks with one quick pass, while the Meguire guys are busting their asses to get close to the finish I have with more moves, more time.

All this stuff is brought to you live through life's professional experiences which I have often shared trying to eliminate you guys busting your asses.
I've already been there & done the work a few times.

No, I have never applied any peanut oil onto skanky exhaust tubing, and expected the universe outa it--a lifetime of no rusting.
I seasoned the pipes when new and saw nothing in a corroded, rust---just as my cast iron frying pans stay clean & slick.

You guys with little or zero of life's experiences, may plunder on, I've passed on ways to get all kinds of jobs done in half the time with a 1/10th of the effort on all kinds of missions.

I can only lead you to the trough--I sure can't make you drink the water outa it.

Plunder on .

Congrats.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Wed May 25, 2016 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Here's the best suggestion;

I use only 3-M products, Finesse removes 1500 sanding marks with one quick pass, while the Meguire guys are busting their asses to get close to the finish I have with more moves, more time.

Have to agree with Terry here.... I have used all sort of fiberglass restoring guop in the past to bring Hobie Cats, Prindles, NACRA, etc.. back to life and end up doing the work over again after a season....

Got introduced to 3M Finesse It a few years back and used it on a boat that had chalky, faded, dirty, moldy, etc.... hulls It is going to require some elbow grease, and the use of the 3M Wax... but the end product is awesome, it lasted, and got a few compliments that they looked new...

As for my pop top.... just got up there last weekend and used a scrub brush and a scothcbite pad and it brought the top back to life.... got all the crud of and put a little shine to it... which is good enough for me.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Kam has the benifit of a roof over his buffed out fiberglass.

Geeze, talk about failure to comprehend. That says it all.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<>Okay, so I did a second wipe-on coat of Penetrol after the first one soaked in, that was about 3 hours ago. Looks much better, gloss-wise, BUT I have a problem/concern.

How long does it take this stuff to dry?? It's ben almost three hours sionce I completed wiping on the second application, and the top still feels very sticky!! I mean like sap consistency sticky!!
All I did was clean the top with a Citrus based general cleaner, dry completely with a towel, let the sun shine on it for an hour or so to completely dry it, and then wiped on two coats of Penetrol.>>>

Whats the humidity at?
99.9%?
Whats the temp?

I don't know of are having some sort of chemical reaction with the citrus cleaner.
I sure didn't see you mentioning rinsing it off.
I never would have taken upon myself to do chemical reaction testing on my own vehicle.
Bad move.
You should have just ran the van through a car wash, by the time you got home it would have been ready to mop & glow with the Penetrol.
That's all I did.

If the sun was baking on that roof, the first coat should have been dry in 5-10 minutes max, same with the second coat.

I'd say this is a big Oops moment on the appliers part.
Zigged instead of zagged.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Thu May 26, 2016 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:

Geeze, talk about failure to comprehend. That says it all.

I comprehend just fine.
The van has a roof over the buffed out & waxed top therefore it has lasted 5 years.

There sure isn't much there to be reading in between the lines.

'What you have here is failure to communicate." ( you is a substitute for we )
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
I comprehend just fine.

Really?

Exhibit A: Having to repeat my post from page 5, because you failed to go back and actually read it.

Exhibit B:

Terry Kay wrote:

Wrong pronoun, as has been pointed out multiple times over the years (newbies get a pass; you're not new around here).

Exhibit C:

Terry Kay wrote:
The van has a roof over the buffed out & waxed top therefore it has lasted 5 years.

2016 (year of current post) - 2013 (year of original post) = 3 years

Standard, non-Commmon Core mathematics.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

anyway...

the Penetrol can last 2 or even 3 years, but surface prep. is needed <--- and those results are in the West

insyncro provides a data point for the NE (upstate NY?) where it did not last long at all; surface prep. not stated but it would be likely based on his history of postings & threads

so....
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
anyway...

the Penetrol can last 2 or even 3 years, but surface prep. is needed <--- and those results are in the West

insyncro provides a data point for the NE (upstate NY?) where it did not last long at all; surface prep. not stated but it would be likely based on his history of postings & threads

so....

So the salty business of the North East, which we already know can play hell with the metal on these rigs, also is rough on the fiberglass...

Left coast is the best coast.... Wink

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

I was being careful on the he, she, him, her, stuff that one just slipped off of my fingertips.
A Vanagon isn't gender specific anyway.

I just screwed up a little on forgetting what I had just saw in your posts.

Nothing intended, other than a little dyslexia.

The roof or even a full time car cover would without a doubt retard the milking out of the roof, whatever you have on it.
The rest of the vehicle too.

Don't know what happened out east with the color blotching.
Something evil happened .
It wasn't the products fault.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
anyway...

so....

Insyncro's single "experience" could be biased towards selling lucrative full-restoration projects. A customer who thinks that a $10/30 minute solution is viable might decline a $17,000 full paintjob, or at least wait a few more years before doing so.

Its a viable method useful to a large number of Samba members. I can see how a member could be completely satisfied with the results of a $10/30 minute DIY. Paying a pro $300 for the Penetrol job might not satisfy the customer or the shop. If the person did it DIY they are happy for 2-3 years. If they paid $300 for the exact same Penetrol job at a shop, then after 1.5 years they are saying "well I'm not sure it was worth $300" which is kind of a bad rap for the shop. Same EXACT job, different customer satisfaction. So I can see some shops discrediting the Penetrol method, it's just not the kind of jobs they want.

On my van, I can't do the full $2-3000 poptop paintjob, that would be going down a rabbithole I'm not ready for. It would lead to a full van restoration, culminating in parking the van in a heated garage. I like driving in the bushes to get to the wicked campsite, and leaning a bicycle against it. Out there doing the "Westy camping" thing. My van has a "patina." There are a few warts that belie the "rolling dough" appearance of a decked out 4x4 sprinter or sportsmobile. Cracked bumpers, windshield, some rust, door dings,but 100% original paint. You can almost imagine it's owned by a college kid (an old-school college kid). Give it another 10 years and the natural patina will be sought-after proof of authenticity (fingers crossed for that!). Cool

That's my situation, YMMV.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
anyway...

so....

Penetrol is/was a flow agent.. used to help with brush characteristics of paint.
At some point some guy with a boat probably spilled some on his f/g while working one some brightsides detail.. He noticed it brought some luster back to the f/g finish.. so he tried spreading it around and it looked nice.. so he spread it around on all the glass.

This likely occurred about 25 yrs ago in some unknown marina or boatyard..
For quite a while Penetrol was the boat-flippers "finish" of choice.. It snazzed up the "look" of a boat just long enough to sell it.

SO here's the rub.. It does not last very long. On a smooth surface it washes, oxidizes away as fast as a waxing does.. and it provides zero UV protection.. Remember.. this is an additive for paint, intended to help flow. There are no "designed" elements of this material for this application.
(Its sorta like silver duct tape.. I've seen guys use Penetrol for all kinds of stuff.. some of which is laughabble.. like using it as a teak oil.)

In my last few years in boatyards and marinas... (I am a recovering recreational sailor and ocean race fiend), Penetrol fell out of favor and was mostly replaced by good quality cleaners, waxes, and polishes with UV inhibitors. You will still see some people using thier Penetrol.. even in CA where it is very difficult to find.

The hard work has always been the prep.. and as Kam pointed out, the products that help remove oxidation film are really quite good.. And the prep works... but its work.

SO why does Penetrol seem to do it all in one step?
Because in addition to being a flow agent.. (it works its way down tin open pores in a sruface), it also has solvent characteristics and it saturates the oxidation and makes it look "wet" again. But if you never cleaned the oxidation off.. where would it go? Oxidation is solids.. They don't just leap onto you rag.. and clean away by spreading a film over it.

So the thing is.. oxidation is solids.. those solids don't go anywhere, they just get "wetted".

Once the Penetrol ages, you are left with what you had. oxidation solids that were suspended in an oil based film.. and now you have more "old" solids left from the aged Penetrol film you applied.
(It collects in the low spots of the pebble grain and discolors there, even more)
On myi old 72 top, it left a pinkish/yellow film..

I used the stuff for yrs back in the day.. 15-20 yrs ago.. and on boats I prefer the better waxes/polishes and cleaners that are available today.

On the Westy top (min is in decent condition).. I wash it now and then.. and keep it in a garage. No Penetrol. No wax... just a mild detergent now and then.
It looks lighter in tone than the body pain.. but I have grown accustomed to this "vinatge" look..

SO yeah.. for me.. Penetrol is right up there with peanut oil and the absurd
argument over removing that dumb gas line fitting in the bulkhead.

Carry on.
A Terry Kay thread is always good for entertainment.

"No spin zone"... LOL

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

All good, any side you take. Good to hear of those who like and those who don't. No worries here. Fun thread, however you take any of the opinions. One thing I wondered at on the last post tho.

j_dirge:

Could you fill me in a little more on the part you said "the absurd
argument over removing that dumb gas line fitting in the bulkhead" please? I'd like to know how there is any argument at all on that one?

Thanks,

-bobby
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried Poli-Glow instead of Penetrol? Both claim to do the same except Poli-Glow has a kit to clean and also a kit to remove it.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

I was just re-reading the thread on T3 paint:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=527875

I am wondering at the part where most of the tops are listed as White. Some are other colors, but this does mean that all tops were originally painted, does it not? From reading that thread, it seems clear that nobody knows paint codes of the top colors, but that is not relevant. Painted is painted.

So, the process of manufacturer must have gone in some set of steps including:

Form the fiberglass in a mold
Paint the top to spec
Put the top on the rig

If I am assuming correctly, regardless of the color, it was painted, right? So, what would it matter if a paint flow agent were used to spruce it up later or not? If you've got to repaint, you got to take the surface down to something the new paint can adhere too anyway, right?

Why is there any argument? Did someone get hurt by having to actually take whatever outer coating down a bit to re-paint? It had to be done anyway, regardless, if there were fresh paint to be applied. Makes no sense to get all bent on this.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

I found J_dirge' surface description to be a thoughtful and useful addition to the discussion. Posts like that take time and thought, thank you. It makes sense that Penetrol, applied sparingly would not contaminate, but with no UV protection doesn't protect. But if the Penetrol itself breaks down then you may have a contaminant?

It makes sense there are gelcoat or fiberglas restorer's potions used by boat flippers that require minimal work and last just long enough provided the sale is quick. So what are the products for the long-term boat owner that produce results and last long(er)? And how much longer? And respond well to re-application? Is this an impossible goal? It does sound impossible.

It sounds to me like J_dirge recommends leaving the oxidation "in place" to best protect the finish below and not contaminating it either. Such a dilemma. My van is "Bordello Red" Cool and the top is "flat pink". I'd like to do something that makes it look better but am somewhat leery of contaminating it, thus interested in this discussion. Any other comments regarding 3M Finesse? I have covered parking currently but if we move in a few years that could change.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: