Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torocreek wrote:
Just finished doing my top. I was almost talked into painting the top

until I saw the results others were having with Penetrol on the Samba.

My top was almost pink. Two coats is all it took.

A great result for only ten bucks.

BEFORE
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WIPE ON

FINAL RESULT STILL NOT COMPLETELY DRY

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
I did a layer of Penetrol on mine, could use another, but also realized that it could use another scrub kind of clean first after I started, but I'd just washed it...It is PRETTY! Well, minus all the scratches, dents and imperfections! LOL

Thanks for the cheap suggestion and fun in the sun everyone!

tam

Oh, and I use a mop to wash the top half & pop top of the Vanagon, never thought of the car wash, do that by hand and w/ my mop. Will get dh to use the scrub brush first next time. He seems to enjoy this shining stuff and helped wax too. He has no problem reaching!

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modjustin wrote:
I just used penetrol on my top, it looks brand new, couldn't even tell the difference where the sun bleached section met the section behind the cargo area that is covered when the pop top in down. I know there's some negative aspects to this, but as of now it looks great, hopefully it last at least a summer...

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hybrid VW wrote:
Here's a couple of pics of a Penetrol application on the top for a brown '85:

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

These few posts with results should keep a few busy for awhile.

Start at page one, find the answers to your questions.
ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Here's when I did the luggage rack, you can see the finished and unfinished. I used an old piece of T-shirt and mopped Penetrol on liberally without leaving puddles or runs. To me it didn't make it noticeably more tan, but definitely took away that light weathered bloom. I couldn't tell you about durability because the van is still inside.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing any posts re how many years it will last Twisted Evil
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

That has been posted here and on other penetrol posts.

I know real well application frequency was brought up today.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Penetrol will last at least 2 years in Western Oregon - and my Westy sits out all year.

You are asking, here's what sombody added on the last column;

Really.)

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue May 24, 2016 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

It lasted about as long as the peanut oil did on my exhaust
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Run the van through an truck wash acid bath right after the penetrol application, similar to the salt acid bath you gave your rusted up bone yard pipes.

Don't start seasoning anything fresh outa the box, treat them after they got cancer, leukemia, then bum rap the process.

Really.

Why not zinc chromate your rear suspension boxes after they already have 8" bomb holes in them--plate right over the creaping crud.

Hey----new paint shop in your area.
They only will refinish your ride if it minus the rocker panels ,& rear quarters.
Paint right over the smega.

Right on man.

New millennium thought process.

Time to change your oil is after the engine blows up, then blame the oil company.

Common' Rolling Eyes

The penetrol works well IF you start treating the fiberglass prior to the hairs standing outa the gel coat.

First application to totally chaulked out top?
Did mine twice.
Then one time in the spring thereafter.

Lasts all season.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry, I don't know if English is your first language, but I am asking if others have had Penetrol last for several years. It looks like mine may last that long.

Or not at all if insyncro was not making a joke.

I'd expect that a van sitting out in SoCal (ozone & UV exposure) would have the shortest life.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
Terry, I don't know if English is your first language, but I am asking if others have had Penetrol last for several years. It looks like mine may last that long.

I'd expect that a van sitting out in SoCal (ozone & UV exposure) would have the shortest life.

No joke.
I tried it on the top of one of my Syncro Westys, Orly Blue.
It looked great day one, than over 18 months to 2 years it slowly chalked back up and in some areas you can see it still.
Looks like blue digital camo now almost 5 years later.
Most definitely will need heavy sanding to remove it for restoration.

This van is pristine.
I bought another top from a 91 to replace the original with.
I am painting this time.

Penetrol, peanut oil, MMO....all hacks in my mind.
Sure they work for a bit, but if you want it to last, I would choose another route.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

I did mine two summers ago and its ready for another application. That is almost two years, in western MT, sitting out and used all year in all kinds of harsh conditions. Hope that helps.
Incidentally, i dont believe it would be a big deal for prep if were going to get painted, unless of course it was just applied. Any quality paint prep cleaner or final clean product will certainly do the job. Just make sure it gets thoroughly cleaned before any sanding or it will get in deep and could possibly haunt you pater on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Do a test and try to remove it once cured with a solvent.

What did you use, if it worked?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Lacquer thinner.

This stuff is primarily a paint fortifier.

After it's dry, no big deal.

The crazies are going to run some sort of sander over the top anyway, removing all of the dimples off of the roof anyhow---you think they'll miss a wiped on, dry coat of Linseed oil?

I think this may be a little difficult to get done-- blast past the penetrol.

After seeing ( again ) the way the stuff brightens up the top in record time, who in their right mind would then consider painting?
Unless the top is worse than anything pictured.

Then skip the penetrol, go directly to the paint store.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
What exactly was "the oxidation remover"

What part of "From page 5" did you not understand? If you can go back and copy every infinitesimal photo in this topic, surely you could have gone back to actually read my post from page 5, and see the photo of the exact product used.

Terry Kay wrote:
What did you seal the gel coat with after you scrubbed the outer layer off?

I didn't scrub any outer layer off, other than the 20-year-old crap embedded into the texture. Using a plastic, soft-bristled brush is a helluva lot different from sanding.

Terry Kay wrote:
If the oxidation remover was as simple as wiping a coat of Penetrol on, taking all of 20-30 minutes from start to finished product, you may be onto something easier than the Penetrol application, that I am not aware of.

Again, go to page 5 and read what I did and why I did it. Since every other before/after was repeated, here's mine:

Three years and still going, although I'll be reapplying this year merely because the sheen is gone; no oxidation has returned (van is garaged when not on the road, which helps).

insyncro wrote:
Penetrol, peanut oil, MMO....all hacks in my mind.
Sure they work for a bit, but if you want it to last, I would choose another route.

So, you never apply wax to your van's paint? Never apply a 303-like product to vinyl and rubber? Applying Penetrol, or whatever product you prefer, is part of vehicle maintenance, IMO, not a "hack". Having to apply Penetrol to the roof every couple of years to keep it looking nice? Yeah, big chore.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

I did see the blue bottles of polish in the 5th page.
Looks like too much work to me.

I am pretty confident it was more than a wave of a rag over the color.

Nothing I have seen works this easy.

The garage helps a bunch from keeping the oxidation blues away, that's for sure.
I was thinking that you got plenty of time outa that job.
You cheated--
The garage.

Spend $15,000 on a decent garage, or $10.00 on a bottle of penetrol.

Yep, 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Terry,
Right under you avatar there is a phrase " The no spin zone" does that apply to you?
Seems to me you spinning something and it's getting deep. Very Happy
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop? Reply with quote

Ever use Blue Coral?
How bout Simonize?

You like spinning your wheels, tell me you just Blue Coraled, or Simonized your pop top.
Got a free week or two?

Anything more than wiping on a coat of the Penetrol with an old T-shirt on that dimpled top is way too much screwing around.
And remember, the entire program minus digging out your step ladder is no more than 30 minutes.

You are correct, this is the No Spin Zone.

Read the testimonials along with the pictures I dug up cause nobody wanted to, and unspin yourself from any difficult work.
Or go build or rent a garage to keep the top looking good.

Makes all kinds of good sense to me. Rolling Eyes

Kam has the benifit of a roof over his buffed out fiberglass.

You know how long that shiny top would have lasted without it?
Not too long.
Maybe a week in the summer.

Wax on, wax off, once a week would have been that deal without cover over the vehicle.

I can't imagine faux buffing and waxing that pimpled top, without removing half of them in the process any faster than the Penetrol.

If the stuff milked out in 18 months somebody used ; the wrong application process, or just simply jipped the job.
Not enough product will do it every time.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue May 24, 2016 8:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: